Lumia 640 : The phone which could have / or maybe could still save WP.

2 Years ago I purchased the Lumia 520 for what I thought was a good deal. At the time I wanted to test out Windows Phone 8.1 and 10. The 520 only had 512 and a very small screen and ran like TOTAL Balls.

Fast forward to the 640.

Has a great looking 5 inch screen, Quad Core CPU and 1G of ram. Feels Very sleek in the hands.

First thing I did when I got it was install the latest Windows Phone 10 insider build. The only thing I have to say about the Windows 10 install is, they really need to give the gear animation some more frames, it's pretty bad. Also not sure why the gears keep reversing directions, strange.

Other than that the install took a while, but went off without a hitch.

Over all the performance of the phone is fantastic. It loads web pages Quickly switches between apps Quickly and very little "Loading" is seen when opening the different applications.

I also installed Asphalt 8 and while it didn't run with super high frame rate it was definitely and ran impressively well on such a cheap device.

Microsoft should put this phone on every Cell Carrier known to man. They should stop trying to push flag ship phones in the $500 range and push this one. The App store is not mature enough for flagship adoption.  But a phone which is $40? It's great for that. Get this cheap phone in as many hands as they can. Then maybe comes the apps, and then start pushing flagships.

• Like 2

The Lumia 640 costs around 180 USD in most countries; it's just heavily subsidized in the US. It's funny that Microsoft still places so much focus on a market which is not interested in their products, and yet ignore the markets where they could make money (and expand their user base).

You can get a whole lot of Android for 180 USD. It's difficult to compete with that - especially when the apps on your platform aren't as polished.

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

Microsoft should put this phone on every Cell Carrier known to man. They should stop trying to push flag ship phones in the $500 range and push this one. The App store is not mature enough for flagship adoption.  But a phone which is $40? It's great for that. Get this cheap phone in as many hands as they can. Then maybe comes the apps, and then start pushing flagships.

I agree. Seems like common sense right?

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

Especially because of how well this phone performs

Is the performance of Edge any better on that phone? I believe you mentioned in the past that you had a Lumia 635 like me. I can't even use Edge on my 635 without wanting to throw it across the room.

1 minute ago, JHBrown said:

Is the performance of Edge any better on that phone? I believe you mentioned in the past that you had a Lumia 635 like me. I can't even use Edge on my 635 without wanting to throw it across the room.

I so some very light web browsing at 1:41 in the video posted above.

I've had the 640 since the day they came out (bought at Walmart for $99). Running 10.0.10586.107 on it now and agree with everything OP says.

With 8.1 denim it was really fast.