Windows Update still won't run after many fixes

Spent LONG time on this problem.  Cloned Vista OS (several other partitions) from 500GB seagate to 1T WD.  Everything works, except Windows Update.

Went through many "fixing" steps from MS KB's, running MS's Update FixIt tool, following MS Technet articles & a few others - to fix possible causes of update failing to run - search for updates.

What I ultimately found was Win Update issues likely have to do w/ difference in 512 byte vs. 4 KB sectors.

Many had to upgrade the Intel RAID controller drivers (I did - fixed some, not all problems).

After fixing several problems, it's ONE error msg is left when try checking updates (control panel):

"Windows cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running."

But, that's not true.  Cryptography, Windows Search & Update services are running.

After following fixes instructions / getting rid of most event viewer errors relating to causing update to fail to run, the Event Viewer err that's left is:

Source:  Esent, Event ID:  412 DataStore: Unable to read the header of logfile C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log. Error -546.

Following articles, I've repaired the catroot2 databases & files (esp. "catdb") & verified the repair results - 0 errors left.

That's the exact msg mentioned in MS KB https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/982018

But I'm now lost on their instructions about "to repair the [edb] database, follow these steps:..."

Or, if I need to obtain the hotfix mentioned in the KB (also mentioned here), or how to apply the hotfix or all steps.

I'm not sure if the ebd.log database is actually corrupted, or if it's a Windows problem - caused by switching HDDs.

So many fixes mentioned for this issue.  One ("Swabman") on technet here, suggested

rename or delete edb.log in c:\windows\softwaredistribution\datastore\logs.  Then reboot - update should work.

Some said it did - I'm not sure what's in that file or might get messed up, just creating new copy?

Suggestions / help, please!?

Try renaming the "SoftwareDistribution" folder completely and reboot. You might have to do it in safe mode.

If you haven't already, you probably should run "sfc /scannow" from an admin command prompt.

To resolve this issue from within the OS, you need to simply install IASTOR version 9.6 or higher. Perform the following to accomplish this:

Download and install the newest version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver.

Next

For Windows Vista, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2470478. You may need to contact Microsoft for this hotfix.

In some cases, Windows Update may still fail after installing the updated IASTOR. In these cases, running the Microsoft FixIt for Resetting Windows Update will resolved it. You can obtain this tool here: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9665683

I would highly suggest running sfc /scannow as well

I've been fighting this one one of four Windows 7 machines, the first 3 work (slowly) but update fine. The fourth, heck it'd be easier to tell you what I haven't tried.

I wish I could help, but I can't, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I know how frustrating this an be, I spent 2 hours for it to find updates (44 of them) and so far today 3 hours +, waiting for them to install. Still sitting @ 0%, sigh.

I'm going to try the script posted by xendrome, now, I've got nothing to lose at this point. If this wasn't my wife's school computer, I'd have nuked it last night.

How do you edit you posts? The button just goes away...

Anyway, I just looked at the problem child and it's actually installing updates, I nearly fainted.

Good Luck!

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I've been fighting this one one of four Windows 7 machines, the first 3 work (slowly) but update fine. The fourth, heck it'd be easier to tell you what I haven't tried.

I wish I could help, but I can't, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I know how frustrating this an be, I spent 2 hours for it to find updates (44 of them) and so far today 3 hours +, waiting for them to install. Still sitting @ 0%, sigh.

I'm going to try the script posted by xendrome, now, I've got nothing to lose at this point. If this wasn't my wife's school computer, I'd have nuked it last night.

Your issues are probably different, OPs are due to the Advanced Format Drives.

This issue occurs due to an incompatibility between Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers (iastor.sys) before version 9.6 and Advanced 4K Sector (512e) technology based hard disk drives. The older drivers improperly reports the correct sector size that these new drives utilize causing many applications to fail or function improperly. Extensible Storage Engine API(ESENT) based applications are an example of applications that are effected by this issue.

This issue even occurs when doing a full format or clean install of Windows since Windows Vista - Windows 7 RTM include an earlier version of iastor.sys by default. Microsoft has fixed this issue in Windows 7 SP1 so computers that have SP1 installed or have SP1 on their original installation media will not experience these issues.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Try the answer by Moab on this page, worked for me this weekend at work.

https://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Your issues are probably different, OPs are due to the Advanced Format Drives.

This issue occurs due to an incompatibility between Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers (iastor.sys) before version 9.6 and Advanced 4K Sector (512e) technology based hard disk drives. The older drivers improperly reports the correct sector size that these new drives utilize causing many applications to fail or function improperly. Extensible Storage Engine API(ESENT) based applications are an example of applications that are effected by this issue.

This issue even occurs when doing a full format or clean install of Windows since Windows Vista - Windows 7 RTM include an earlier version of iastor.sys by default. Microsoft has fixed this issue in Windows 7 SP1 so computers that have SP1 installed or have SP1 on their original installation media will not experience these issues.

I realized how different our issues were after my edit and taking more time (to actually comprehend what OP had wrote), the title just struck a chord, since that one machine was killing me.

7 hours ago, metallithrax said:

Try the answer by Moab on this page, worked for me this weekend at work.

https://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

Lucky for me, everything finally worked out, all updated and checking for updates later only took a few minutes thankfully. I did use the fix mentioned on that page, but at the time it didn't help, but then I used every fix my searches came across.

Thanks however for taking the time to try and help! Cheers!

Solved - sort of.

Most everything suggested here, I'd already tried.  Some things 2 or 3x.  But if I hadn't, they'd be appreciated.

1st thing - I ran sfc - no effect, but may've corrected another - didn't know about.

Also used the mentioned MS FixIt for Win Update.  What ever it did, didn't fix it.  But the ORDER all these steps are done, may make a difference.  MS doesn't have one article w/ all possible fixes, listed in order.

Found my catroot2 folder(s) were empty.  Was trying to "repair" the catdb there, per common instructions.  Kept getting errors - because no files in the folder: C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}.  Rebooting should've re-created the files, but didn't.  Or when it did, showed lots of errors in the:  "C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\dberr.txt" file, showing errors recreating catdb.

Like dozens of lines,

CatalogDB: 3:02:15 PM 2/13/2016: JetInit Corruption
CatalogDB: 3:02:15 PM 2/13/2016: catdbsvc.cpp at line #747 encountered JET error -583

Those errs may ? be related to the Intel RST / RAID drivers - that supposedly needed updating.  I had MUCH trouble finding this driver's updates on Intel's site - that said supported Vista.

I installed it, but didn't fix updating problem - only fixed some things, getting me a little closer.

I think finally renaming it to catroot2.old, creating a new, empty catroot2 - then a reboot finally put files there & maybe the updated RAID drivers allowed it to finish - mostly correct.

In dberr.txt, all errors were gone, except ONE:  "CatalogDB: 12:50:57 PM 2/14/2016: catadnew.cpp at line #972 encountered error 0x00000057.

I'll have to see if / how it affects updating.

Don't know what it means, but so far Event Viewer's no longer showing errors on Events 512, 257, 412.   There were a lot of errors assoc. w/ this problem in beginning - maybe connected, maybe not.  Tracking them all down & trying fixes took a LONG time.

After all that, still wouldn't update.  That's when "Unable to read the header of logfile C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log" appeared in event viewer.  I decided to backup & rename edb.log in that path.  There's another edb.log in "C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\.

Finally, it allowed update to run, but all records of previous updates are gone - from the update UI.  But update only found ones I didn't already have installed - I just can't see history.

Maybe I could try repairing edg.log (MS has some instructions) to see if I can get the history back?  Then put it in Software Distribution.

For the exact same Event ID + err message + err code, it was amazing how many different "solutions" people said they found. 

One said he just changed update settings from "always check" to "never check" & fixed it.  I did that - hey, maybe that's what really fixed mine? :D

Ciraflex wrote:

you need to simply install IASTOR version 9.6 or higher.

Not for me - wasn't nearly enough.

Side note:  I'm glad I use Textcache Area (like Lazarus) addon in Fx, to save text as it's typed into forms like this.  This site wiped my drafts - a couple times, on this one thread.  Poof!  Something blinks (not my AC power) & everything is gone.