Ignored Users Should Not Show In Activity and Unread Streams

Title says it all, can we do something about this? We ignore these users for a reason; we should not be subjected to seeing what they are doing in the streams, especially the unread one.

• Like 3

Do they still show up in the threads with a "Hidden content" ..or does it not show up at all. because when it says "Hidden content" it temps you to see what fanboy thing they said this time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Do they still show up in the threads with a "Hidden content" ..or does it not show up at all. because when it says "Hidden content" it temps you to see what fanboy thing they said this time.

It shows up like every user in that I don't have to click anything to see their content. Nor is there any way to hide it.

To add to this, my ignored users are no longer being ignored at all. I dunno if this is due to changes being tested, but today is the first day it has happened to me.

Wow, not a single acknowledgement of this bug by the powers that be.  I guess its easier to cover our eyes and pretend it doesn't exist.

Considering you are the only one crying about this, it's likely  only an "issue" to you, or most likely the devs have better things to worry about than some petty thing like this 

1 hour ago, Anibal P said:

Considering you are the only one crying about this, it's likely  only an "issue" to you, or most likely the devs have better things to worry about than some petty thing like this 

Yeah an issue only to me and every single device I use. :rolleyes:

Get real. What the heck is the ignore feature useful for if it doesn't *gasp* ignore people?

Because you don't care it makes it not a bug?

You aren't that special where you care level decides a bug or not. I wish I worked in an industry where my cares determined the existence of a bug. 

Edited by adrynalyne

Just to add a slightly related evolution to this thread, on a samsung galaxy note 10.1 when using chrome, and seeing a oost made by an ignored user..

If you click the option to show the post, it takes you to the top of the page.

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Just to add a slightly related evolution to this thread, on a samsung galaxy note 10.1 when using chrome, and seeing a oost made by an ignored user..

If you click the option to show the post, it takes you to the top of the page.

Same thing happens to me with Firefox on both PC and mobile.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Wow, not a single acknowledgement of this bug by the powers that be.  I guess its easier to cover our eyes and pretend it doesn't exist.

Why don't you try to un ignore all the users that you have ignored. Then Log Out. Clear your cookies and browser cache, Then log back in and try to ignore someone and see if it works?

How about we all do, what we all do in real life; ignore the member of society you don't like, and don't engage in a conversation. It really is that simple.:yes:

29 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

How about we all do, what we all do in real life; ignore the member of society you don't like, and don't engage in a conversation. It really is that simple.:yes:

No!  If I walk past a restaurant and they're in there, the restaurant should put curtains up so I don't go and talk to them.

3 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Why don't you try to un ignore all the users that you have ignored. Then Log Out. Clear your cookies and browser cache, Then log back in and try to ignore someone and see if it works?

That would imply the forum is sending out buggy cookies, which moves the bug but doesn't resolve it. This happens on any device I log into, even freshly wiped ones in incognito browsers.

I'll try it but I expect zero success. I'll let you know.

21 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

ignore lists seem to be "cleaned" every major update...

They are still there and ignored within threads themselves. Just not the streams. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anibal P said:

Actually, I've ignored a lot of people, and it still happens to me. I just stopped using the forums so much.

6 hours ago, JHBrown said:

Really? Last time I did that I nearly got fired of ignoring a female. She said I was a sexist ###### who believed she shouldn't work in IT. I do believe she shouldn't work in IT. But I'm not sexist at all. I love boobs too much.

Anyways...

• Like 1

I haven't checked how the ignore feature is supposed to work, but I am guessing it removes content within a thread for a less distracting experience, remove the users topics and so forth throughout the site might be a step too far, and might even be too heavy (for the SQL) to implement in dynamic activity streams for individual members.

Since we have now upgraded to the latest available IPB version (4.1.9) I'd suggest removing the ignored users, and adding them back to avoid any "weirdness" from the multiple upgrades we've had since August, and then see if it works any differently.

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I haven't checked how the ignore feature is supposed to work, but I am guessing it removes content within a thread for a less distracting experience, remove the users topics and so forth throughout the site might be a step too far, and might even be too heavy (for the SQL) to implement in dynamic activity streams for individual members.

Since we have now upgraded to the latest available IPB version (4.1.9) I'd suggest removing the ignored users, and adding them back to avoid any "weirdness" from the multiple upgrades we've had since August, and then see if it works any differently.

I'll let you know how it turns out by re-adding. 

There should be nothing SQL heavy about ignoring users in streams. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

I'll let you know how it turns out by re-adding. 

There should be nothing SQL heavy about ignoring users in streams. 

Thanks, and as for SQL heavy, I'm not a dev but I have to assume that if a personal stream is shown due to setting ignored users, then it's a server side delivery which equals additional load/processing.

6 hours ago, JHBrown said:

I wouldn't associate with these idiots I ignore here in real life, nor would they be present in circles I frequent. I can choose to fight with them or I can ignore them which, gosh that's what I am doing! I don't care if the users show up, I just don't want to be reminded of their garbage by having their content show up in streams. This forum isn't like a job where you are forced to deal with them. Do you feel a forum is your job? 

I don't really care if you don't see a need for it; a half baked feature that can be fixed should be. I love how apologists who don't see a need or want for something seem to think that nobody else does either.

I have requested a new type of forum index that brings back the full spy, but it's anyones guess when the devs will get around to it :p 

It will 'fix' the issues people are having with the poor layout of the activity stream (I don't like it either) and hopefully introduce topics to people who would have otherwise not seen them due to the MiniSpy being only 5 entries.

BTW in 4.1.10 the sidebar will return in Activity streams, I think that puts back filters for viewing?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Thanks, and as for SQL heavy, I'm not a dev but I have to assume that if a personal stream is shown due to setting ignored users, then it's a server side delivery which equals additional load/processing.

That may be but there should be no extra trip to the database if it is filtered out initially. I can't imagine that causing any noticeable performance hit or heavy processing. It's already being done on a per forum thread basis. I'd even be fine with a simple tag added to the users and JS hiding them per the tag. That should mitigate any server performance concerns by bringing it client side. 

^ Right, so if in your testing it isn't fixed with the recent updates it will need to be a mod hack, which is then passed to developers.