Amazon UK lists FIFA 16, GTA 5, Assassin’s Creed, more as “exclusive to Prime members”

Amazon has locked certain games behind its Prime subscription.

Amazon lists FIFA 16, GTA 5, Assassin’s Creed, more as “exclusive to Prime members”

Amazon has made a very interesting change to the way some games get sold. As reported by Videogamer, the retail giant has blocked non-Prime members from buying some games directly from the site.

This means that for big hitters like GTA 5, FIFA 16, Rainbow Six: Siege, Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, and others, only Prime members are allowed to to buy them from the retailer directly.

These games are still available for sale to non-Prime members, but only through third-party sellers. If you’re not a Prime member, the pages for these games will have a box to the right that says, “exclusively for Prime members.”

“This item, sold by Amazon, is currently reserved exclusively for Prime members,” the description reads.

Continues...

-----

Time to boycott :no:

Please give your business to the retailers below who value all of their customers:

365Games.co.uk

Base.com

Shopto.net

SimplyGames.com

TheGameCollection.net

• Like 2

"These games are still available for sale to non-Prime members, but only through third-party sellers."
So we can either still buy them on amazon (but they come from a third-party, which doesn't really change much imho) or buy them somewhere else... Why would we even bother with amazon prime then ?

4 minutes ago, ZakO said:

They had already done this for over a year on other items (i.e. baby products https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pampers-Active-Nappies-Size-Total/dp/B00AF9R36U)

First time I've heard about it. Apprently it has been in the US for a while now too.

Luckily, the UK does not need Amazon for gaming (or any other product). Far better and cheaper alternatives to all of their "exclusives".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

First time I've heard about it. Apprently it has been in the US for a while now too.

Luckily, the UK does not need Amazon for gaming (or any other product). Far better and cheaper alternatives to all of their "exclusives".

Still happy about my cheap XB1, but yeah, screw this. I mostly buy games elsewhere, cheaper and better delivery policies. Plus early releases!

Well if Amazon don't want to sell me a game i'll simply buy it else where, i'm not going to subscribe to Prime to be "allowed" to purchase something.

As Andrew mentioned the UK has many good alternatives to Amazon for games.

Edit - I appear to be able to purchase all those games without a prime membership, directly from Amazon at the moment if I so desired.

Amazon have replied to VG.com:

UPDATE: Amazon has provided VideoGamer.com with the following statement in response to this story:

"One of the many benefits of Amazon Prime is access to exclusive selection on a number of great products. Customers who are not Prime members can sign-up for a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, or they can purchase those items from a Marketplace seller."

:blink:

Just now, Andrew said:

Amazon have replied to VG.com:

:blink:

*Goes into Tesco*, sorry we can't sell you this Apple until you sign up for Tesco Gold. £60 a year, T&C apply.

• Like 1

I like Amazon (and I am a Prime subscriber) but their business practices are getting shadier and shadier.  This is monopolistic behaviour without a doubt.

I think they are heading for a pretty large anti-trust case in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

Yeah that is shady, It was actually the same when I went to buy a Fryer (Deep Fat) ... Prime Customers Only. If anything its pushing more people BACK to the highstreet. 

• Like 1

last game I bought off amazon was gta5 for the Xbox 360 and it arrived the Saturday before release :D

if the UK vote to remain inside the EU. I can see amazon getting into trouble somewhere not to far down the line, especially if they ###### off enough gamers who lets face it love to moan about everything and anything. and they can be a rowdy bunch if ticked off.  PC market won't be affected much by this mostly cause of steams dominance. but the console gamers just look at the moaning they done cause Microsoft gave a free copy of quantium break away on windows 10 with Xone preorders

can't think of a reason amazon thinks this is a good idea to make folk sub to prime just to buy a game. hows this gonna encourage anyone to shop with them, amazons shot them selves in the foot with this decision IMO.

ORIGINAL STORY: Amazon has extended its "Prime-Exclusive Items" initiative to block non-Prime members from being able to purchase certain video games.

The change was spotted by customers this morning, with the PS4 versions of GTA 5, Rainbow Six Siege and Assassin's Creed Syndicate now only available to Prime members, along with the PS4 and Xbox One versions of FIFA 16, Far Cry Primal, Battlefield Hardline and more.

If you aren't a member of Amazon Prime, you will now see a box with a blue border on the right of the page "identifying the item as Prime-Exclusive", and will not be able to add the item to your basket.

It isn't yet clear exactly how many games are now available exclusively to Prime members. The initiative does not prevent buyers purchasing the affected items from third-party sellers.

"Prime-Exclusive items are products for sale on Amazon that can only be purchased if you're a member of Amazon Prime," Amazon says on its website. "As a Prime member, you can choose from millions of Prime-eligible items sold on Amazon.co.uk."

A subscription to Amazon Prime costs £79 per year. VideoGamer.com has contacted Amazon for comment.

UPDATE: Amazon has provided VideoGamer.com with the following statement in response to this story:

"One of the many benefits of Amazon Prime is access to exclusive selection on a number of great products. Customers who are not Prime members can sign-up for a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, or they can purchase those items from a Marketplace seller."

UPDATE 2: Amazon appears to have lifted the Prime-exclusive restriction on video games.

GTA 5, Far Cry Primal, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Battlefield Hardline and Rainbow Six Siege all now appear to be available to purchase to both Prime and non-Prime members. VideoGamer.com has not heard anything further from Amazon following its earlier statement.

UPDATE 3: Amazon has reinstated Prime-exclusive games. It isn't clear why the games were temporarily removed from the initiative earlier this evening. VideoGamer.com has not received any further communication from Amazon since our earlier update.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/gta_5/news/amazon_blocks_non-prime_members_from_buying_certain_video_games.html

So if you want some games that have been out for a while on Amazon you need to join Prime for them...or 3rd party who sells on Amazon (and in some cases fulfilled by Amazon)..or any store that sells games. Go ahead Amazon try it with new games see how that works.

Looks like Amazon US and not just UK

http://www.techspot.com/news/64539-amazon-preventing-non-prime-members-buying-games-dvds.html

I've always had prime so I didn't realize this is actually a thing they are doing. Kind of baffling to me.

Oh well. Amazon is probably one of the last places I go to get my games anyways. I usually buy through GoG, Greenman Gaming, or steam. Greenman is especially good because they almost always have a 20% discount on all games, even pre orders by default.

Just now, FloatingFatMan said:

All those games appear to be buyable for me, and I'm not a Prime member...

Are you choosing Amazon as the seller? (Not "Fulfilled by Amazon").

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

All those games appear to be buyable for me, and I'm not a Prime member...

But they're not available directly from Amazon. You have to buy from a third party reseller.

I'm literally looking at Amazon UK now - I am a Prime member, but I just opened an Incognito tab and can see my buying options listed. If I want to buy GTA5 for example, it'll be fulfilled by Amazon but sold by another company. The only option to buy one from Amazon specifically is "Exclusively for Prime Members" apparently.

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Are you choosing Amazon as the seller? (Not "Fulfilled by Amazon").

You tell me...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-161120152-FIFA-PS4/dp/B00KHJLGNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461759172&sr=8-1&keywords=fifa+16

"Dispatched and sold by Amazon in certified Frustration-Free Packaging. Gift-wrap available."

Just now, FloatingFatMan said:

You tell me...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-161120152-FIFA-PS4/dp/B00KHJLGNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461759172&sr=8-1&keywords=fifa+16

"Dispatched and sold by Amazon in certified Frustration-Free Packaging. Gift-wrap available."

Just looked myself. The PS4 version is available to everyone, but the X1 version is exclusive to Prime. For some reason they keep flipping the switch back and forth, as reported by VG.com.