Yay or nay? Made an app that adds Aero Glass, Start Menu on Windows 10

What the title says. I got sick and tired of the included Windows 10 theme, and the slow Start Screen. Now I think it looks perfect. Why make my own? I know there's Window Blinds which is incredibly slow (it uses GDI instead of HW-accelerated Direct2D), doesn't even have blur behind the glass and there's also Glass8 (I think that's what it's called?) but is exceptionally hacky and, I would say, shady. My implementation is not perfect, but it doesn't add a single line of low-level rendering code, doesn't break any application (so far) and it's all (theme+start menu) contained into a single library. On the other hand, it's largely unoptimized, thus DWM memory consumption increased to about 70mb (still nothing compared to most apps). There's some work ahead before I can even release an installer but it can be done if a good amount of people is even interested.

screen1.png

Using the flat built in Windows 10 theme:

screen2.png

Glass was one of my favorite things about 7 when it debuted.  Sucks they killed it in 10.

I really like it!  

You DEFINITELY have my vote! I love it! 

Suggestion: Bring back GDI / DirectUI jumplists from the classic taskbar. The ones that supported up to 60 items. Something that hooks Explorer maybe to override the XAML jumplists -- if this is possible? 

I never could stand the glass effect personally, even when it was new in Vista, always edited it out in the visual style... but that said *shrug* I know there's some people who like that sort of thing, so why not.  Start menu though, no thanks.. but again I know there's some who like the old way of doing things, so why not. 

12 minutes ago, MeowPurr said:

What the title says. I got sick and tired of the included Windows 10 theme, and the slow Start Screen. Now I think it looks perfect. Why make my own? I know there's Window Blinds which is incredibly slow (it uses GDI instead of HW-accelerated Direct2D), doesn't even have blur behind the glass and there's also Glass8 (I think that's what it's called?) but is exceptionally hacky and, I would say, shady. My implementation is not perfect, but it doesn't add a single line of low-level rendering code, doesn't break any application (so far) and it's all (theme+start menu) contained into a single library. On the other hand, it's largely unoptimized, thus DWM memory consumption increased to about 70mb (still nothing compared to most apps). There's some work ahead before I can even release an installer but it can be done if a good amount of people is even interested.

screen1.png

Using the flat built in Windows 10 theme:

screen2.png

This is what people like myself who are desktop users have asked for since even 8.1 days. I knew its possible but MS doesn't want to give their users what they want.

1 minute ago, DeusProto said:

Same here

5 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

This is what people like myself who are desktop users have asked for since even 8.1 days. I knew its possible but MS doesn't want to give their users what they want.

There are plenty of people who dislike glass, me included. People on Neowin aren't representatives of anything but themselves.

Just now, -Razorfold said:

There are plenty of people who dislike glass, me included. People on Neowin aren't representatives of anything but themselves.

my comment was based upon others who made the same or similar replies. Aero Glass was loved but got smashed with Win8/8.1 and 10.

• Like 2

Well, I'm not that crazy about glass any more but having the option is so much better than not, so you absolutely have my vote!

• Like 2

I'm definitely one of those that prefers to have glass enabled, it just helps to blend desktop windows in a bit more in my view, less of an assault on the eyes as opposed to the oversaturated 10.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

my comment was based upon others who made the same or similar replies. Aero Glass was loved but got smashed with Win8/8.1 and 10.

Of course it did. After nearly 10 years of it, it was time for something new. Windows 10 is not Windows 7.

Edited by Dot Matrix

3 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Of course it did. After nearly 10 years of it, it was time for something new.

Something "new", you mean the whole flat, dull and ugly look that google and Apple copied and made it look 1000x better than Microsoft?

To OP...I think the popularity of other third party enablers (like Start10, Classic Shell, Glass8, etc) should give you a pretty good answer.  If you can get your method optimized and running better than the other third party solutions ... I'd think you'd have a winner on your hands.  Personally, I would love for Windows 10 UI/UX to be more like that of 7.

• Like 5

I'd be all for it, AeroGlass is adequate but decidedly sub optimal and a better alternative would be greatly appreciated.
I'd be more then willing to pay ~$40 or so for a solid solution.

The developer of Glass8 is a jackass, I'd definitely use it if you released it. 70MB isn't all that much memory use for a first generation.

13 minutes ago, Javik said:

The developer of Glass8 is a jackass, I'd definitely use it if you released it. 70MB isn't all that much memory use for a first generation.

Agreed wholeheartedly. He deliberately maintains super-vague licensing terms, and calls his shareware "donationware" but refuses to state how much you much "donate" to get the unlocked version. And he maintains that not everyone that "donates" will get a license key to unlock the full version. Basically it depends on his mood. So it's a gamble if you "donate" to unlock the full version. I've never seen another author act like that before. I think he gets off on it. 

And he constantly berates his users who post constructive suggestions, insulting them savagely and disrespecting them -- including "donors." 

Now on the other side of the spectrum we have StartisBack. $2.99 with clear licensing terms: Lifetime updates, payment will always get you a key, etc. 

He also refuses to support Insider builds. I think he deliberately makes it so Glass8 breaks on Insider builds. And then he'll brag about how his own private version works great on Insider builds and then say something like "Well since So-and-So made me mad I will not release it now!" Basically, he expects his users to never ask questions or post suggestions, and to only post to kiss up and claim he is the greatest person ever etc etc. 

He also brags about how nobody else is able to implement Aero Glass into Windows 10. How only he has the l33t skills to do so. And of course how all the users are not worthy of his work. 

Edited by DeusProto
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

Agreed wholeheartedly. He deliberately maintains super-vague licensing terms, and calls his shareware "donationware" but refuses to state how much you much "donate" to get the unlocked version. And he maintains that not everyone that "donates" will get a license key to unlock the full version. Basically it depends on his mood. So it's a gamble if you "donate" to unlock the full version. I've never seen another author act like that before. I think he gets off on it. 

Now on the other side of the spectrum we have StartisBack. $2.99 with clear licensing terms: Lifetime updates, payment will always get you a key, etc. 

That's exactly the reason why I purchased Startisback back in 2012 and won't touch Glass8 with a 10ft pole, its "terms" are utterly laughable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeusProto said:

Suggestion: Bring back GDI / DirectUI jumplists from the classic taskbar. The ones that supported up to 60 items. Something that hooks Explorer maybe to override the XAML jumplists -- if this is possible? 

Hi. Yes - one of the things I'm working on is Explorer customizations. Not just the Start Menu/Screen but also adding a toggle to remove so-called 'immersive' context menus, adding back theming for Live Previews, Network flyout and particularly to the Action Center, as well as making it resizeable (I don't like the way it slides out from edge, it looks massive on a big screen). For the last two it's going to be a bit hard since these Windows 10 features are hosted inside UWP binaries, a different monster but definitely feasible.

Don't get me wrong, there are good features in Windows 10 but the execution is awful. And secondly, I just don't recommend anyone using an outdated OS for security reasons. You have no idea how exposed you are if you don't get updated for zero-day vulnerabilities.

• Like 2