Was giving this some real thought. need your input/thoughts

Ok, I have been reading about the slump of PC sales and I have come up with a couple, I hope that would seem legit. (*disclaimer- It's not due to Windows 10 in any way)

1. Systems today are so powerful that, people don't need to upgrade/update to a newer system like we used to.  IE my Intel i7 4700MQ which runs COD black ops 3 like butter, ARMA 3.. the list goes on..

2. People seem to be moving more to tablets either alone or to augment their current systems. ie, own a laptop/desktop and use onedrive or an onsite NAS to keep their data consistent for all devices.

These are probably two reasons I can think of that are the reasons for the slump in PC sales. I've had this discussion recently with someone and this seemed logical. would this sound about right? feel free to agree or disagree.

Just now, jjkusaf said:

Yep

ok, nice to know i'm not going senile (yet). my friend thought this was a reason as well. I'll probably upgrade in 3-5 years. I have more games than I can shake a stick at, the newest I bought was ARMA3( man this is a great version versus 1 & 2)

thanks for the reply JJKUSAF

This is just about it.  I upgraded my PC nearly a year ago, after having the same system for just over 6 years.  With what I have now (Intel i5 3.3GHz quad-core, 16 GB of RAM and SSD), I can't imagine needing to upgrade for probably at least a decade.  I'm saving up for a higher resolution monitor (at least 2560 x 1440, possibly a 4k), but that's all I'm looking to upgrade in the near future.  Windows used to need higher spec'd machines with each release, but now it's practically the opposite.  Between faster CPUs, cheaper and faster RAM, and SSDs, the hardware has outpaced the needs of most software.

that's bad for OEM's but great for we end users. with these multi-cores, that also adds a twist, (I think) in that systems are more viable for longer periods. whereas when we were single core, people would upgrade yearly.

33 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

ok, nice to know i'm not going senile (yet). my friend thought this was a reason as well. I'll probably upgrade in 3-5 years. I have more games than I can shake a stick at, the newest I bought was ARMA3( man this is a great version versus 1 & 2)

thanks for the reply JJKUSAF

Sorry ... I probably should have elaborated even further (was on my phone when I made the response).  If your computer ran Vista without issues (not the computers which struggled when it first came out) ... you should be able to run every operating system released since.  In other words ... if your computer runs Vista (almost 10 years old now) without issue ... then it most certainly should be able to run 7, 8x and 10.  Microsoft has done a very good job since Vista with regards to hardware support.  The jump from XP to Vista, IMO, was the last major "will my hardware run it" release.  

Your computer only needs to be so powerful to check Facebook, YouTube, run Office and even majority of the media.  Really, the only ones that need to continuously update hardware are graphic designers, media creators, rendering, gamers...etc.  Even gamers can pretty much get by just by swapping out their GPU vs. their whole computer...which is what I recently have done. 

So folks tossing their computers every 3 or so years is pretty much gone.  Now they can get by running on (what was once archaic) computers built in the last ~7 years.  Bad for OEMs, bad for Intel/AMD/Motherboard manufactures ... but until you need a powerful system to run Flappy Bird ... you'll probably just stick to what you have.  Smartphones and tablets also help people access information quickly without needing to sit in front of the desktop ... I do not think they are competing ... but they certainly complement one another.  For example ... my daily usage will be a quick Facebook check on the phone, followed by some YouTube on the notebook and ending with "serious" work/gaming on the desktop.

51 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

Ok, I have been reading about the slump of PC sales and I have come up with a couple, I hope that would seem legit. (*disclaimer- It's not due to Windows 10 in any way)

1. Systems today are so powerful that, people don't need to upgrade/update to a newer system like we used to.  IE my Intel i7 4700MQ which runs COD black ops 3 like butter, ARMA 3.. the list goes on..

2. People seem to be moving more to tablets either alone or to augment their current systems. ie, own a laptop/desktop and use onedrive or an onsite NAS to keep their data consistent for all devices.

These are probably two reasons I can think of that are the reasons for the slump in PC sales. I've had this discussion recently with someone and this seemed logical. would this sound about right? feel free to agree or disagree.

Yup. As much as some wanted to place the blame entirely on Win 8/10, the decline began in the Windows 7 era. With most software upgrades, especially the OS, not requiring significantly more powerful hardware, there's not a lot of need to upgrade.

My most recent upgrade was back in late 2012, was to support HD video - my PC is used mainly as a media server, And until I need to stream/convert/edit higher than 1080P video on it, there's no reason for me upgrade again barring hardware failure.

right, my pc is 2 years old?  i forgot, but my video card died, so i bought a new one.  now it'll last for another 2 years i bet.

has a good i5 cpu, maybe add more ram but i doubt it....

no reason to buy a new pc