Why is this happening in Virtualbox - Mint 17.3 (host) & Windows 7 (Guest)?

Question

Host OS: Linux Mint 17.3 (W/Cinnamon as the DE)

Guest OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

Virtual Box: 5.0.2 r102096

- Have installed extensions (Vbox) & guest additions (Windows)

- Have not touched the settings (except where to install virtual machines)

In a nutshell the issue is that the Windows guest can not for what ever reason use some of the shortcut keys I know should work in Windows - Cut, paste, undo, redo, select all, pause (the VM), seamless mode (VM) . . . . Oh and before I forget I can not select USB 2.0 (EHCI) controller or USB 3.0 (xHCI) controller without getting some error either.

Completely different "issue" is I would like to be able to have my hard drives & SSDs show in my BIOS (enable or disable), along with have two optical drives and either can install from a disc (example a linux distro) and I don't need to disable one of them - by opening of the side panel of my case and unplugging power or the SATA.

Specs:

CPU: Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory [x2]
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive [not connected right now]
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer [not connected right now]
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full (32/64-bit)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Monitor: LG 22MP55HQ-P 60Hz 22.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard

9 answers to this question

1) Does this VirtualBox problem happen when running Windows as the primary OS?

2) Sounds like you want a bare-metal OS bootloader? I can make a tutorial on how to build a Multi-OS Imaging and Installation Drive using free tools and an old Hard Disk, if there's interest. And it's fairly low-risk, as long as you're paying attention to what you're doing. (And no, it does not require someone to be a Super Saiyan Blue to use them, either. Nothing that cryptic.) All it'll require is one cable swap to install the drive into your machine; for Laptop users, you'll need an External Hard Disk instead.

I don't currently have a native installation of Windows, so I can't test it that way though I'd assume it's run normally - shortcuts would work.

At the moment I have my 2 TB connected via SATA and power cable with would normally (probably) connect my second optical drive, but in my BIOS (/UEFI) I can not see the drive - only my 120 GB OS SSD, and my 3 TB drives, I'd imagine if I disconnected my blu-ray drive and plugged in my other SSD it'd be the same.

And you're certain that the drive hasn't failed (you've obviously checked to make sure) .. hmm.

Check the cable in-use. Is it in good condition (not slagged off or cracked/broken on either end)? Check the drive that seems to be the most complainey also -- sometimes the connectors get worn. You'd be surprised how much can be revealed by being thorough.

Probably the same root causes for both -- glitched/corrupted BIOS. Have you checked for an updated one for your Mainboard? The one I'm using is the last one released for mine, so I'm S.O.O.L. sadly. Going to be upgrading hardware sometime soon, so I'm not that stressed about my issue and it's been going on for a while as it is. Main thing I'm concerned with is getting my 'nix install migrated without it going grape ape on me.

I've had the same issue you've got, but with a 320gb hard disk. BIOS and Windows won't see it, but it's visible and useable in Linux. Only difference is that my BIOS isn't UEFI; but a standard old-school BIOS. Doesn't matter what SATA Port it's plugged into, even if it's the only thing plugged in -- the board refuses to see it at the BIOS level. I've done everything short of destroying the hard drive in the microwave and tossing it.

So back to yours. I'd check for a BIOS/UEFI update, make sure it's safe to flash it, then do so. See if that doesn't fix ya. If not, we'll explore alternatives.

So you want to dual/multi boot this machine off different disks?

And then when running whatever OS on the metal, you want to run VM... And your saying shortcuts don't work in this VM??  Does the keyboard work - can you type stuff.  But copy paste doesn't work - are you trying to do this inside the VM only, or from the HOST os to the VM os??

not sure I would call that stupid..  If you had a option set that conflicted with the hot key sequence then yeah the hot key prob not going to work.  You can quite often remap these functions so they don't overlap.

Yeah, I agree. That's not "stupid" in my vocabulary either. No big deal. You could also try turning on the Global Clipboard; since it's your own personal machine and not one in a Production or Enterprise environment there's little to no risk of a security issue by using that option. Perhaps the hotkeys will function as intended too.

On to the other thing, I'd need 7 SATA and power cables to connect the five drives and two optical drives, yes? I'd presume both sets of cables come in various sizes . . .

• Like 1

Yes, one SATA and one power cable per. You can get Molex to SATA-Power adapters at pretty much any Computer store; or you can order them online. The twin SATA's will help with things. :yes: 

12-119-238-03.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119238

$3.99 US each. These Rosewill ones are pretty well-built, and the Molex ends aren't loose like some other Molex connectors I've had to use in the past (where the pins come out).