Question about the Windows 10 environment

I heard someone post, can't find the thread that said Windows 10 is moving into a walled in UXP or something, dealing along the lines of the windows store. if you can't catch on to what I'm asking and correct my mistake(s), can you clarify for me what it is?

There's never been any indication that Windows is moving to a walled garden for it's applications. There are projects in progress that allow Win32 applications to be installed via the store, where they'll be contained within a sandbox, allowing for better security and removal of said app, but aside from that you can continue to use the store or download and install applications from other sources. Not even OS X is that restrictive. I don't think we'll see a walled garden on anything aside from mobile phones/tablets for a long time. If ever.

ok its just that this thread said the walled garden was meant to change how Windows users game and more.

So after reading this, if true, could be construed as a hostile action for MS to take control of all gaming, updates etc within the UWP system environment. this can't be good.

Q: Would this in anyway affect steam? Steam has its own store and what not. (in context of what this guy from EPIC is saying?)

2 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

So after reading this, if true, could be construed as a hostile action for MS to take control of all gaming, updates etc within the UWP system environment. this can't be good.

Q: Would this in anyway affect steam? Steam has its own store and what not. (in context of what this guy from EPIC is saying?)

First off, it's not true - such a move would constrain a lot more applications than merely Steam.  Second, even UWP apps have a separate update mechanism (they don't even use WU for updates; if anything, they update like other sandboxed apps in other environments - such as Android; that is, in fact, the case with Steam applications and software; they update from within Steam itself).

For example, I have both the standard and Steam versions of Daybreak's DC Universe Online client, and they update completely separately from each other; why is Steam not complained about in those same terms?

They're certainly keen on moving more and more Windows components over to the UWP platform, but other applications will not be affected at all. I'm not a big fan of the platform myself but this is just baseless fearmongering.

33 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

First off, it's not true - such a move would constrain a lot more applications than merely Steam.  Second, even UWP apps have a separate update mechanism (they don't even use WU for updates; if anything, they update like other sandboxed apps in other environments - such as Android; that is, in fact, the case with Steam applications and software; they update from within Steam itself).

For example, I have both the standard and Steam versions of Daybreak's DC Universe Online client, and they update completely separately from each other; why is Steam not complained about in those same terms?

that's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure. but conversely, MS probably knows that doing this, what the EPIC guys said if true, would be a Japanese suicide called Seppuku. Seppuku . That would be an inherently dumb thing to do.