Do Weight Loss Pills work?

Do Weight Loss pills work?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do Weight Loss Pills work?

Cast your vote and comment if you have seen anyone losing weight using them or if they are just placebo pills made of glue.

Depends which you mean. Some do, some don't. 

The most effective way of losing weight is to consume less calories than you need. A 6 foot male over weight at say 100KG would need around 2500 calories a day (17,500 a week). If you cut that down to 1600 a day (11,200 a week) you will lose weight and quite quickly. 

Exercise also helps but not as much as calorie reduction. The truth is it is very difficult to consistently exercise enough every day to burn a substantial amount of calories. However exercise will help improve your overall health, just don't use exercise as a primary weight loss system.

Actually, yes. But, they can be very damaging to the body. Contrave for example, contains bupropion and naltrexone. One part anti-depressant and  naltrexone is giving to addicts from opioid addiction. It basically raises your heart rate and kills your desire to eat.

That is also a prescription. The weight loss pills you see on TV and ads on the internet, those are the ones you need to be more aware of to stay away from. 

Contrave is also very expensive, because of the ###### the FDA put them through. They had to spend 100M+ for "research" on the effects of the heart. While, I do appreciate the amount of research required, it's all a smoke screen, basically making them pay the 100M to release it. Read up on it.. Those two drugs have been around forever..  

1 minute ago, Draconian Guppy said:

yes, and can be VERY dangerous

Very.

I tried contrave, but with the affects it was having on my heart, I stopped.. I started eating better and working out, down 30 pounds.. It's hard to do, especially since I drink a mega ###### ton ;D 

• Like 2

The ones they use to have in the 60"s did but they were not good for your health. The only thing that will work is to burn more calories than you take in and exercise.

• Like 1

Nope, just stop eating crap, go outside and start doing some exercise, no need to get fancy, just walk, jog or run if you are up to. The most important thing here is your tenacity and will. Just do it, every day if you can. And remember stop eating crap and have healthy diet it is the single most important thing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cocoliso said:

Nope, just stop eating crap, go outside and start doing some exercise, no need to get fancy, just walk, jog or run if you are up to. The most important thing here is your tenacity and will. Just do it, every day if you can. And remember stop eating crap and have healthy diet it is the single most important thing.

But some people eat junk food all the time and yet they won't gain weight. They wont even exercise.

12 minutes ago, Illegal Alien said:

But some people eat junk food all the time and yet they won't gain weight. They wont even exercise.

Alright, that's because everyone's body is different.

I was eating taco bell twice a day for a year and stayed the same. 8 years later, no way in hell. I now have to cut eat less than 20g of carbs a day to lose weight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Illegal Alien said:

Honestly I find that very hard to believe unless those people have some sort of weird metabolism. For the majority having a healthy balance diet is a must to control our weight.

I am not even saying to never again eat some of that delicious junk food that we all love, but we need to have a balance diet with the right amount fat, humans need to consume fat, some sugar etc as well, just don't go crazy because the body will accumulate the excess calories as fat in your organism.

And again don't go over the other side because a health body needs to have some fat reserves too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Riva said:

Depends on the pills really. For example I take Grenade Black Ops 2 in the morning 30 minutes before breakfast and 2 more 30 minutes before working out. They help a lot especially when you plateau. But they wont do anything unless you also control your calories and workout to burn out the stimulant. And that is the general concept with anything legal and safe out there, they are part of a nutrition and workout. If you buy black market ones or some controversial ones like Chlenbuterol then you will lose every inch of fat on you in no time with serious mental and physical health damage and the worse thing is that because you didn't change your eating/activity habits, the fat will return to you also in no time.

How about Hydroxycut Hardcore X? Does it work?

Yes and No.

While the pills might help you lose weight, you usually gain it all back, because to lose the weight you took a pill and didn't change your eating habits. In the end Weightloss is a lifestyle change.

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

Yes and No.

While the pills might help you lose weight, you usually gain it all back, because to lose the weight you took a pill and didn't change your eating habits. In the end Weightloss is a lifestyle change.

Are you saying they only help in losing Water Weight?

7 minutes ago, Illegal Alien said:

Are you saying they only help in losing Water Weight?

No, they might do their magic how ever they do it, maybe by suppressing your appetite, but once you stop taking them and start eating what you were eating to before that got you fat in the first place you will be right back to were you started.

In the case of my, eating a jacks pizza or a bowl of rice with cheese for supper every night and Hot dogs for dinner. Then a bag of chips on the couch during TV. THAT was my diet. THAT is what got me to 220 lbs. Then I started ridding my bike 20 mins a day and walking 363 days and went low carb and cut ALL of that out of my diet. Got myself down to 168. That was 2009. Been around there give or take 5lbs every since. Now I have salads or ham sandwiches for dinner. Which has a slice of cheese, ham, onion, tomato and lettuces. All on a lower carb bread. (19 carbs per 2 slices, vs 19 carbs per 1 slice"

Even if they did work wouldn't you just gain it back once you stopped taking them? Losing weight requires a permanent lifestyle change, you have to teach yourself to eat healthy and not eat more calories than you need each day, along with regular exercise. It's certainly not easy at first and it takes a very long time (maybe years depending on how overweight you are) to get back to a healthy weight but eventually you will get there. Personally I would never take diet pills; it just seems really dangerous.

Lose some water - but the fat burners are BS

eating smaller meals, and more often and exercise is the best way to lose weight, period.

In college I got up to 214, was drinking every day/night eating like crap.  Got gastroenteritis one day, lost a ton from being so sick - and then stopped drinking so much - been @ 185-190 since, drinking a lot of beer and eating before going to bed is real bad.

As many have said, yes, most official diet pills do work. However they're not good for you (you have to way the risks up with being overweight vs taking pills).

You'll also note that they'll all have in small print "When used as part of a calorie controlled diet" . Which if you're doing correctly, will make you lose weight any way.

Less calories in than you burn, and you're on a winner.

1 hour ago, Hum said:

Yes -- they work by having spent all your money on the pills, then you have no money left to buy food. :woot:

interesting theory :p