Nintendo NX “is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS”

Monday, 16 May 2016 16:53 GMT By Shabana Arif

Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima says the NX is a “new way of playing games.”

The Nintendo NX is launching in March 2017 with assurances of a solid software launch line-up, and rumours that the company is abandoning optical discs for cartridges.

The mystery of exactly what we can expect from the new console has deepened even more with the translation of an interview with Nintendo president, Tatsumi Kimishima.

In an interview with The Asahi Shimbun, translated by NeoGAF user GSR, during which the possibility of another foray into film was discussed, Kimishima answered a number of questions about the upcoming NX.

“It’s something very new. The hardware, the software lineup, all of it is something I’d like to play for the first time myself,” he began.

Continues...

• 1 month later...

There's talk that this one will at least have some level of power to keep itself in the game, but still just rumors at this point.   Since it's coming out in March 2017, and probably using AMD like all the consoles are doing, there's talk that it could very well be using the same stuff Sony is going to use with the Neo, basically custom/downclocked RX480.

If it's true at least whatever the NX is, it's not going to be performance that hurts it like the Wii U.

• 1 month later...

According to Eurogamer the NX is a Tegra based handheld.

The gimmick as I understand it is that you can detach the right and left sides of the handheld from the screen/brain/center part and then reattach them to each other to make a controller.  Then you can "dock" the screen/brain part to a docking station connected to the TV so you can play games on the big screen.  I think that's the jist of it but here are the source links:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

So the console is going to be powerful for a mobile console... i.e. way more powerful than the PS Vita or 3DS but weak for a home console. (more powerful than the PS3/Xbox 360 but weaker than the PS4 or Xbox One... let alone Neo or Project Scorpio... heck it may be in the ballpark of the Wii U but mobile).

The real issue though in my mind is how will it compete with the smart phones everyone already has in their pockets?  The current units are apparently using the Tegra X1 though the final version may use a newer Tegra.  The Tegra X1 is over a year old already and will be almost two years old if the NX doesn't launch until 2017.  In mobile SoC terms (which is what Tegra is) that's a long time.  The Apple A10 and Snapdragon 830 will likely be out by then and the Apple A9 and Snapdragon 820 which has been out for months are already very close to the Tegra X1 in performance.  Now sure people aren't going to buy A9/10 and Snapdragon 820/830 just for gaming and sure they're more expensive but in all likelihood they'll already have them in their phones so they're effectively free, why buy another device to carry around?  At that point why not just put your phone on a dock connected to your TV and use a Bluetooth controller?

I would like to add that if the Eurogamer info is correct it's actually something I'd consider buying.  I don't think that came across in my prior post as I was thinking about the gaming market in general not just my specific taste.  I own a PSP and a PS Vita and while I don't think most people are willing to buy mobile game devices in the age of smart phones, I personally am.  If this thing is more powerful than my current mobile game device (PS Vita) then it's something I'd consider now that it looks like Sony has given up on mobile devices due to smartphones.

I personally haven't had a Nintendo console (living room or mobile) since the Super Nintendo but I'd grab this so I can play some of the games that looked cool but weren't enough to pull the trigger in the past.  The Fire Emblem series for example looks amazing to me as does the Xeno series (which went Nintendo exclusive after Xenosaga Episode III).