Share price tumbles as GAME suffers credit insurance blow

by Ben Parfitt
Tuesday, May 24th 2016 at 2:12PM BST

The share price of GAME Digital is currently at its lowest ever point.

The stock is currently trading at 81p, having fallen as low as 80p earlier today. GAME was trading for 360p back in December 31st 2014, although it fell below the 100p mark in January of this year.

The Guardian reports that GAME chairman David Hamid recently sent a letter to shareholders confirming that a review by the major credit insurers resulted in the “reduction or removal of significant levels of insurance cover”. This was blamed on a second successive poor Christmas.

It is entirely possible this has set alarm bells ringing with some investors, as while credit insurance comes and goes, similar development have pre-empted famous High Street collapses such as Woolworths and Zavvi.

Continues...

I'm even more glad now that I cashed in my virtual shares around this time last year. I got ~£120 (which went towards my PS4 a few months later); if I kept them, they'd only be worth ~£40 now. :/

It is a shame, I do like GAME, but it is just irrelevant in this day-and-age. They simply can't compete. When I am thinking of buying a game, where do I go? Either the platforms own marketplace, or Amazon. Nowhere else even comes to mind anymore.