Transgender woman wins Condor Ferries toilet sign discrimination case

Transgender woman wins Condor Ferries toilet sign discrimination case

_89795785_thinkstockphotos-480325892.jpg

A transgender woman has won her bid to have a ferry firm remove the words "ladies" and "gents" from its toilets.

Erin Bisson, from Jersey, launched legal action for discrimination against Condor Ferries after a member of staff told her to use a disabled loo.

She had also said the use of words rather than symbols on toilets amounted to indirect discrimination.

The firm admitted discrimination at the island's Employment and Discrimination Tribunal on Friday.

In its first decision taken since the island introduced gender discrimination laws in 2015, the tribunal found Ms Bisson's complaints against Condor of direct and indirect discrimination because of her gender reassignment to be "well-founded".

When she called the company in September to ask which toilets she should use, Ms Bisson said a staff member "advised me I should be using the disabled toilets".

She claimed this had amounted to direct discrimination.

Sorce and maor

October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Come on,

She had also said the use of words rather than symbols on toilets amounted to indirect discrimination.

Against whom, the illiterate?

The enire world is going nuts and people here are arguing about what toilet to pee in.  Get rid of all of them and have one that says "Bathroom"  "Toilet "with stalls, no urinals.

Edited by Gary7
some may be offended by Bathroom

What a silly issue,

A trans-gender is likely to dress as the sex they feel, and wouldn't even be noticed in a restroom.

I sure don't take much notice of who is in a restroom.

I just want to go and leave.

• Like 2

Just like racial crap - people in power are so scared to get labeled as racist, or discriminating they will bend over backwards to appease every nutjob out there which only gives credence to other nutjobs.

As Lewis Black would say, "SON OF A BITCH." We as a society have bigger problems to solve than a piddly bathroom sign. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Morisato said:

I'm transfinacial, I've been born with wrong wealth status, I'm poor, and I have body of a billionaire, give me money or I'm killing myself or in this case, suing you. And for some fun, http://www.mediaite.com/online/meet-the-20-year-old-norwegian-woman-who-identifies-as-a-cat/

Thanks Obama.

Thank Obama all you want, he has nothing to do with this one, this is a story out of the UK.....

This is so obvious to me.  You have all of these people either insecure with themselves or not happy the way their life is turning out so they have to blame someone or something.

These things aren't the store's fault for not having a picture instead of a word on their bathroom and you are being cheated out of life, its not Obama's fault you aren't wealthy, its not society's or your race that you suck at life - 

All of these people, sheesh - total facepalm

8 hours ago, SfIsHeR1701 said:

Thank Obama all you want, he has nothing to do with this one, this is a story out of the UK.....

Thanks British Obama.

Stupid. Sounds like someone was just looking for an argument to "prove a point" that doesn't need proving.

As @TEX4S pointed out, its like all the typical racial, sexual stuff that goes on at the moment. People who have a point to prove want to change things for their own benefit or agenda, pushing for special status, whilst claiming they should be treated the same as "normal" people. So they want special status, while being treated normally... you cant have both people!

I actually think that as the transgender person was unsure, the company did the most logical thing and told her to use the disabled toilet as a go between. I mean, if this person doesn't know, then how is the company supposed to? How is using words instead of pictures or visa versa any different to each other?

This kind of ruling makes me so cross! They knew the company was put in a no win situation, otherwise they wouldn't have asked the question.

• Like 3

So she identifies as neither a lady nor a gentleman?  Then she has precluded herself from using either of those two distinct toilets.  Does she want a third toilet or transgender?  Well that's a little exclusionary...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John. said:

Why did she have to announce it anyway? Just walk in to the toilet you want to use!

Exactly! Just making a problem that is actually only her\his own issue, knowing it will put the company in a position of "damned if we do and damned if we don't".

19 hours ago, Gary7 said:

The enire world is going nuts and people here are arguing about what toilet to pee in.  Get rid of all of them and have one that says "Bathroom" with stalls, no urinals.

cant say bathroom b/c youre not taking a bath. that offends me. cant say restroom b/c youre not resting. cant say 'water closet' b/c that assumes that someone is "in the closet."

let's just call it the "nondescript room". does that offend anyone? we should be careful not to offend the vast minority of people in a country of 320 million.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nik L said:

So she identifies as neither a lady nor a gentleman?  Then she has precluded herself from using either of those two distinct toilets.  Does she want a third toilet or transgender?  Well that's a little exclusionary...

Sounds like she/he/it is pushing for segregation, now that's a slippery slope nobody wants to go down!

This person wants to be treated normally yet pulls stunts like this? Just go into which every toilet you feel the most comfortable using, do your business and go, it's not difficult.

34 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Sounds like she/he/it is pushing for segregation, now that's a slippery slope nobody wants to go down!

This person wants to be treated normally yet pulls stunts like this? Just go into which every toilet you feel the most comfortable using, do your business and go, it's not difficult.

Exactly! Its a contradiction in itself! I want to be treated equally, by being recognized as different and having segregated facilities...

59 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

cant say bathroom b/c youre not taking a bath. that offends me. cant say restroom b/c youre not resting. cant say 'water closet' b/c that assumes that someone is "in the closet."

let's just call it the "nondescript room". does that offend anyone? we should be careful not to offend the vast minority of people in a country of 320 million.

i remember when people in UK I knew refereed to it as "little girls room" or "little boys room"  (true story)

oh god, the horror of an adult man going to the "little boys room"  :o:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

i remember when people in UK I knew refereed to it as "little girls room" or "little boys room"  (true story)

oh god, the horror of an adult man going to the "little boys room"  :o:rolleyes:

Worse, I identity as a Transformer (check the profile pic!), yet I'm not allowed to do my business in the maintenance bay at Jiffy Lube! Discrimination I tell you!

When drunk I identify as someone who doesn't care and goes to whatever cubicle is closest, has the shortest line and usually nobody else in it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Hum said:

What a silly issue,

A trans-gender is likely to dress as the sex they feel, and wouldn't even be noticed in a restroom.

I sure don't take much notice of who is in a restroom.

I just want to go and leave.

Can't say restroom, you do not go in there to nap.:)

6 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Can't say restroom, you do not go in there to nap.:)

I've known people that would nap in the restroom often...

2 minutes ago, Psyco359 said:

I've known people that would nap in the restroom often...

I would rather find a cleaner place to nap, a place where there is no odor of escaping gasses and such.:)

1 hour ago, Jason S. said:

Fixed

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1298544-transgender-woman-wins-condor-ferries-toilet-sign-discrimination-case/?do=findComment&comment=597425396