British voters evenly split ahead of EU referendum - YouGov poll

British voters evenly split ahead of EU referendum - YouGov poll

?m=02&d=20160525&t=2&i=1138583762&w=644&

Britons are evenly split on whether the country should remain or leave the European Union, a YouGov poll showed on Wednesday, as the In campaign struggles with poor voter support for its leader Prime Minister David Cameron.

A YouGov poll for the Times newspaper put support for the Remain campaign at 41 percent, down 3 percentage points since last week, with support for Leave up 1 point on 41 percent.

Four percent of respondents said they would not vote while 13 percent still did not know which way they would go with less than a month until polling day.

The polls, which are being closely watched by financial markets for their ability to move the value of sterling, have been close in the run-up to the referendum, but the Remain camp had appeared to take a lead in the last 10 days.

An ICM poll released on Tuesday, however, showed the rival sides tied, and YouGov on Wednesday said the referendum was damaging trust in Cameron, after he warned about the risks to Britain's economy and security if it votes to leave.

Asked who they trusted over Europe and the referendum, just 18 percent said they trusted Cameron, down 2 percent since YouGov asked the same question in early March.

The person most trusted was Boris Johnson, the former mayor of London who is leading the campaign to take Britain out of the 28-member bloc, who was trusted by 31 percent of respondents.

Britons will vote on June 23 in a historic referendum on whether to stay in the group the country joined in 1973. YouGov said its poll took place on May 23-24 but did not give any further details.

Source

I've heard most people saying they would like to remain in. Whilst they do have reasons if they were to vote out, the reasons to stay in are higher at this point.

Personally I believe we should stay in the EU

But I've seen how much 'food product' we import, I won't go into details as I'm not a tin foil hat kinda guy

(also, that's not the only reason)

1 minute ago, The Evil Overlord said:

But I've seen how much 'food product' we import, I won't go into details as I'm not a tin foil hat kinda guy

*passes tin foil hat*

You were saying? :rofl:

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

You guys would be giving up your pound which is stronger than the Euro and giving up sovereignty as the UK nation. But, as an American.. I'll just sit back and let the chips fall as they lie. I just hope the brits don't live to regret their choice to stay in. I see Greece, and soon Spain and Portugal next.

1 minute ago, chrisj1968 said:

You guys would be giving up your pound which is stronger than the Euro and giving up sovereignty as the UK nation. But, as an American.. I'll just sit back and let the chips fall as they lie. I just hope the brits don't live to regret their choice to stay in. I see Greece, and soon Spain and Portugal next.

Pound is here to stay. If I remember correctly, it was part of the renegotiations that took place, where all EU members agreed to it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack W said:

*passes tin foil hat*

You were saying? :rofl:

lol

Wincanton, Grocontinental, MRCT, GIST, Tesco, 2 Sisters Food Group, All have food storage and processing depots dotted all over the country, with trucks arriving daily from the EU with bought in food for processing, I've worked as a shunter and as a driver in my career and something tells me the that there will be more red tape and taxes on those items once we're not covered by the 'shared blanket' of the EU

And that's just one aspect

edit

one aspect I felt I had sufficient knowledge to talk about

there could be dozens, or even hundreds of other aspects I'm not aware about

2 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Pound is here to stay. If I remember correctly, it was part of the renegotiations that took place, where all EU members agreed to it.

well then, that's good news. the issue I have is a bunch of bureaucrats in Belgium trying to say what will/will not happen with the UK. I happen to like Nigel Farrage while  I know many don't. But what I like about him is, he isn't afraid to tell it like it is. He has oft times complained at how the EU has ruined the European continent. but this is strictly a personal opinion.

3 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

well then, that's good news. the issue I have is a bunch of bureaucrats in Belgium trying to say what will/will not happen with the UK. I happen to like Nigel Farrage while  I know many don't. But what I like about him is, he isn't afraid to tell it like it is. He has oft times complained at how the EU has ruined the European continent. but this is strictly a personal opinion.

Nigel is someone who should never be given power. Someone being able to tell it how it is, is cool and all that, but also a recipe for disaster, and volatile.

• Like 3

Just now, Jack W said:

Nigel is someone who should never be given power. Someone being able to tell it how it is, is cool and all that, but also a recipe for disaster, and volatile.

I heard someone tried to off him on the freeway in some country, I forget where. but he was able to get out of his car. they had loosened the tires on his car. so yeah speaking your mind does have its drawbacks. ;) 

Just now, The Evil Overlord said:

My sympathies

well he did jump on the stupidity of the EU president. He stated that he is an unelected official who, along with the rest of the EU plays mafia tactics by siphoning a countries wealth out, as in the case of Greece. the EU by way of Germany wanted Greece or the EU to steal peoples money out of their bank accounts to offset the debt. that is unacceptable. I wouldn't want your money to be stolen like that through austerity measures. 

3 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

well he did jump on the stupidity of the EU president. He stated that he is an unelected official who, along with the rest of the EU plays mafia tactics by siphoning a countries wealth out, as in the case of Greece. the EU by way of Germany wanted Greece or the EU to steal peoples money out of their bank accounts to offset the debt. that is unacceptable. I wouldn't want your money to be stolen like that through austerity measures. 

All I'll say is this: take whatever rubble Farage spits out with a fine, fine grain of salt. The salt intake is probably better for your health than Farage anyways.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I honestly believe the austerity will be more severe if we left, the lesser of the 2 evils would be to stay put, the Greece situation is stupidity, no argument from me there, but I'm not a megabank or some other global influence power, so at best I'll have uneducated guesses as to why that happened, so I won't bother.

I've seen some of Angela Merkel's 'proposals' on tv and although I'm not 100 convinced, I was less convinced by the opposition

but that's just me

(unless you were talking about Joachim Gauck, in which case I'm not up to speed <know zilch> about his policies)

• Like 2

I'd take Farrage over Cameron anyday. From the article, seems like Cameron is liked even less. which parties do they purport to support?

2 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I'd take Farrage over Cameron anyday. From the article, seems like Cameron is liked even less. which parties do they purport to support?

Of course people will like Cameron less. It is the same with everyone who becomes prime minister. Why? Because they make changes, people hate change, so they cry. But the fact is - those same people liked him enough to vote him in.

2 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

again, my sympathies

I don't like Cameron much but I happened to agree with him, Farrage, like Nick Griffin, have one agenda.

Just now, The Evil Overlord said:

I honestly believe the austerity will be more severe if we left, the lesser of the 2 evils would be to stay put, the Greece situation is stupidity, no argument from me there, but I'm not a megabank or some other global influence power, so at best I'll have uneducated guesses as to why that happened, so I won't bother.

I've seen some of Angela Merkel's 'proposals' on tv and although I'm not 100 convinced, I was less convinced by the opposition

but that's just me

the big problem is Germany wields to much power. I remember Helmut Kohl was the one who paid for the setup of the European union. So Germany thinks it'll strong arm other nations into acquiescing to bring the UK to its knees over money. I recall the Rothschild family did just that to the UK by forcing a post war tax on the UK. If memory serves, he had news sent that the UK lost the battle of waterloo so the stocks dropped to pence on the pound, he bought most of the market. when the news came back the UK won the battle, he owned most of the stocks and walked away a VERY rich man.

4 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

Not only that. Deutsche Bank managed to dump a lot of bad derivates onto the Greek economy. Greece as it once was doesn't exist anymore .. it is merely a vessel now. Everything that could be bought up has been by the big EU players. This wasn't the first country in the EU that went through this process.

24 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

lol

Wincanton, Grocontinental, MRCT, GIST, Tesco, 2 Sisters Food Group, All have food storage and processing depots dotted all over the country, with trucks arriving daily from the EU with bought in food for processing, I've worked as a shunter and as a driver in my career and something tells me the that there will be more red tape and taxes on those items once we're not covered by the 'shared blanket' of the EU

And that's just one aspect

edit

one aspect I felt I had sufficient knowledge to talk about

there could be dozens, or even hundreds of other aspects I'm not aware about

Wouldn't the internal agricultural economy rise if Britain was to leave the EU? As far as I understood the southern EU market prices are making it difficult for the local producers to compete. Maybe leaving could lead to a restructuring of this industry. It might benefit this sector as a whole. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack W said:

More sunshine? I think. I've noticed more sun than rain recently... could just be me.

Sun always rises in the EAST. Too BAD! :shiftyninja:

2 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

Wouldn't the internal agricultural economy rise if Britain was to leave the EU? As far as I understood the southern EU market prices are making it difficult for the local producers to compete. Maybe leaving could lead to a restructuring of this industry. It might benefit this sector as a whole. 

the Mediterranean nations benefit more since winters aren't as harsh as they are in the northern nations. 

5 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

Rise, yes, but not in the numbers to sustain the population, probably not even enough to even register, we're talking about 1000's on tons of food product, daily, current reserves are ok, but even they'll run out, not to mention panic buying and other behaviour..

I'm not voting. Simply I don't know enough to want to leave. What would happen to families who have setup a life and family in the UK? Those with mixed British\European children? No one has explained the consequences in those terms, but have only spoken about the economic issues.

On the same token, I do think we would be better off leaving in terms of red tape. We would be free to trade how we wish with who we wish without the barriers the EU put up. We could easily setup our own trade deals with other countries.

So, as I have too many unknowns on each side, it would be wrong for me to vote either way.