Fort Simpson woman receives $5 in mail from stranger

A strange letter from Boston has made a Fort Simpson, N.W.T. woman an internet celebrity — and a little bit richer.

Beth Jumbo is the Senior Administrative Officer for the village, which has a population just over 1,200 as of 2011.

Earlier this week, she had a coworker burst into her office after opening the day's mail.

"She came to my office and said: 'Beth, there's a letter here that you really need to see!'" Jumbo said. "It was sitting open, and it had a five dollar bill on it. 

"And I was like: 'what the heck is this?'"

The letter was from a man calling himself "Brian from Boston." According to the letter, Brian went on a trip to Quebec City five years ago, returning home with a spare five dollar bill in his pocket. 

Brian had gotten sick of the bill, the letter reads — he kept mistaking it for American currency. He thought about throwing it out, but deciding he "can't be throwing away good money," he instead chose to mail it to someone in Canada.

"But I don't know anyone in Canada," the letter reads. "So I decided to find a more remote place using google maps and see if I could find a name and address. And there you were, Senior Administrative Office, Town of Fort Simpson.

"So please enjoy this 5 dollar note!"

Jumbo posted the letter and bill to her Facebook page on Tuesday. It was soon posted to Reddit, where it quickly went viral. Calls and emails from news outlets followed in earnest.

more

My grandmother received dollar bills in the mail all the time. They were baiting her for scams. How this went viral I do not understand.