Monitor has no display/PC won't fully boot up

So I turned it off my PC yesterday because of a storm and after it was over I decided to turn it back on. The PC powered on fine but the monitor was not displaying anything and the only visible lights on the setup were all the mouse lights and the power on light on my Corsair 200R case. It's actually done this before but not for this long though. I've already tried to disconnect all unnecessary cables to attempt to perform a POST but to no avail.

CPU: AMD ATHLON X4 760K MOTHERBOARD: MSI A78M E35 GPU: GTX 750 TI RAM: 8 GB PSU: CORSAIR 600W

Well - if you turned it off, but didnt actually unplug it - and if you are absent minded enough to use a cheap power strip, or no surge protector - then it could have fried something.  But you would have to have a direct hit on your house I think.

I still mention it because just turning things off isnt all that needs to be done.  Unplug it if you have storms like we do in Texas.

If you dont have another monitor, and dont have another computer to test out the monitor - then you need to start thinking about something possibly being loose. (RAM, internal cables, grfx card, etc)

If you dont have a little speaker connected to the mobo, then you have no way of knowing if its throwing error codes.

So - basically - you need to start troubleshooting things because we dont have enough info to narrow it down just yet.

• 2 weeks later...

In Florida and Im in South Florida we get storms often. I have seen this happen before and thought a PC of a customer of mine was dead but it really was not.

What you need to do is the following. Unplug the power cord from the wall whether it is the strip, UPS or PC, then unplug the cable from the PC itself and then also unplug it from where it is connected to. Again could be wall, strip or UPS.

The thing I have learned is that when power outage occurs there is static that can build up and stay there and that causes the issues. Not always mind you but it can happen. So again unplug everything from everywhere and wait 5-10 minutes. That is enough time for the static to dissipate. 

Once you have waited that amount of time. Start plugging things back in and turn on the PC and see if it works. If it works now then done deal you're set.

If still an issue something could have been fried. If you dont have a good UPS battery backup system get one please. APC which was once like the King is not good today. I buy CyberPower UPC and that work very well for lower cost. I never went back once I went with them because of the good experiences I have had.

Forgot to mention when you unplug the PC always press the power button because some electricity is still present. Pressing the button will clear it. You want to turn the switch to off if your PSU has one.