should I go with ultrawide?

I currently have a Dell U2312HM as primary and Dell 1909W as secondary. I don't game much, but my main work is research and studying (off the screen). I was wondering if I should upgrade to an ultrawide 21:9 or a 24" 16:10?

I have a curved Ultrawide 34'' and I love it. These monitors usually come with tools with which you can snap your Windows to predefined grids and thus arrange them. My Dell has such a tool with almost 20 different options.

The only donwside is, it is really wide and if you are a gamer you are stuck with having to buy the top graphic cards so you can push the game graphics to full details.

i really dont feel you'll gain much by spending money on a new monitor. if you want to simply and reduce clutter, i suppose...

i have an LG ultrawidescreen monitor. it's fun. nothing special.

I have a Samsung S34E790C 34" WQHD Curved Ultra-Wide 21:9. I sold my 2x Samsung SyncMaster s23B550. Much needed desk space. ;)

Just bought an Acer XR341CK (21:9/curved/3440x1440) and it is pretty wild. I can see how it can increase productivity. And it just looks cool. The asking price is steep, but if you spend any real time at your computer you should have:

1. A good monitor

2. A good KB/Mouse

Multi-monitor setups are a pain. Windows in 4K looks like crap because of some of the scaling stuff (if that is still a problem). I don't know how well you will be able to play modern games on it with a  "XFX Radeon 7950 3GB".

Hello,

Having owned both 2580×1080 and a 2580×1440, I definitely prefer the latter  You really miss the additional screen real estate on the vertical axis when writing anything.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Not a huge Dell fan but there monitors are top notch and have seen an Ultrawide in action and it was pretty sweet! Im used to dual monitor setups but I could probably work with just one Ultra Wide. At the moment though two monitors work well for me.

I do hope whatever you settle on works best for you.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I guess most like ultrawides for increased real-estate and simpler setup. I'm still doing my research, though.

On 6/28/2016 at 0:44 PM, Mindovermaster said:

This is the 29" version of my 34" 

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824022219&cm_re=SAMSUNG_S29E790C-_-24-022-219-_-Product

On sale for $550 here, dunno what is like at your end, as it is out of stock.

Dell does make excellent monitors as does Samsung ,but that is way out of my price range.

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

Dell does make excellent monitors as does Samsung ,but that is way out of my price range.

Yes, very expensive. What good alternatives are there?

3 minutes ago, ultimate99 said:

Yes, very expensive. What good alternatives are there?

I was looking at a LG 34 " and it is even higher at $999.00 so the Samsung is a better deal. I will look at some Dells.

You should definitely go 1440 pixels high whether it's 16:9 or 21:9. 1080 is just lame.

I went 2560x1440 because ultrawide was out of my price range. If I had the budget, I would have been all over it.