Quick poll on the UK's decision to leave the EU

Remain 48% Leave 52%  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the decision for the UK to leave the European Union?

• Yes
    • No

Just wondering what our members think about this decision. 

As an expat lining in The Netherlands (and not eligible to vote, due to being out of the country for 25 years) I would have voted Remain, but the poll is anonymous.

Cast your vote!

• Like 1

I'm not a Brit, but I would think that if the country decided to leave there would be a huge impact on the financial markets with a drop in the vaulation of the pound?

Just now, Barney T. said:

I'm not a Brit, but I would think that if the country decided to leave there would be a huge impact on the financial markets with a drop in the vaulation of the pound?

Already has been.  As a brit who voted to remain, I'm disappointed to say the least.  The EU is a mess but leaving is not the solution.

I voted remain due to the sheer amount of uncertainties that we are now wandering in to. Needless to say, I'm disappointed and worried about our countries financial future.

• Like 1

Whichever way I voted, it's happened. We now have to make sure we make it the best decision for our country. We've been given a potentially huge opportunity for Britain, so it would be a shame to mess it up. 

Is my opinion worth anything here being that I'm an American and only heard about this Brexit thing a day or two ago? And I haven't really been living under a rock, either. I go on Reddit and I'm subscribed to /r/worldnews. Anyway, I think it's a bit hypocritical. I mean, first it was England, then it was Great Britain when they added Wales and I think Ireland, and now with Scotland it's the United Kingdom, and I may not have that exactly right, but the UK is sort of like its own little mini EU. If the UK can leave the EU, why couldn't Scotland leave when they wanted to? Why not just break up the UK and they go back to being England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales? If the UK is better together, why isn't the EU?

Most of what I hear about the EU is that they're heavy handed in regulation. They're trying to bust up Google for including their own apps on Android. Yeah, so? Does Apple not do the same thing on the iPhone? I switched to iPhone two months ago. It didn't come with any Google apps. It didn't come with any Microsoft apps. Apple's browser, Apple's office suite, Apple's multimedia apps. And that's fine because I bought Apple's phone. And I'm okay with that because I was able to get Google's apps, and Microsoft's apps, that I wanted. So I don't know what the EU's problem is here. Google lets you put whatever you want on their phones. And Google doesn't have a monopoly, de facto or otherwise. They might have something like 80% of the smartphone market, but the iPhone isn't going anywhere. Google's lead is only because of crappy phones anyway. Among flagships it's probably closer to even. Point being, while I think some regulation is important, I think the EU was overstepping its bounds... in one case that caught my eye.

But based on what little I know, I'm tentatively on the "Remain" side of the fence. But I'm open to learning more about both sides. I don't really think it will affect the US as we're allies with the UK; them leaving the EU won't change that. It's like two of your friends stop talking. Or you're a football player and you're friends with the whole baseball team, and one guy quits the team. It doesn't change anything. But again, my knowledge here is limited.

Remain. Because leaving the EU will affect the production of many good TV shows and movies. Northern Ireland is no longer going to be a popular filming location as a result of leaving the EU. Game of Thrones in particular is about to become a MUCH cheaper show with a far lower budget as a result of European Regional Development Fund  funding being cut off after Article 50 is invoked.  It will likely be cheaper to film in L.A. in the US than it will be to film in the UK after the ERDF goes bye bye. 

1 minute ago, DeusProto said:

Remain. Because leaving the EU will affect the production of many good TV shows and movies. Northern Ireland is no longer going to be a popular filming location as a result of leaving the EU. Game of Thrones in particular is about to become a MUCH cheaper show with a far lower budget as a result of ERDF funding being cut off after Article 50 is invoked. 

You know, that's probably the first tangible reason someone's said for in favour of remaining in the EU. I got sick of the scare mongering.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dragontology said:

Is my opinion worth anything here being that I'm an American and only heard about this Brexit thing a day or two ago? And I haven't really been living under a rock, either. I go on Reddit and I'm subscribed to /r/worldnews. Anyway, I think it's a bit hypocritical. I mean, first it was England, then it was Great Britain when they added Wales and I think Ireland, and now with Scotland it's the United Kingdom, and I may not have that exactly right, but the UK is sort of like its own little mini EU. If the UK can leave the EU, why couldn't Scotland leave when they wanted to? Why not just break up the UK and they go back to being England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales? If the UK is better together, why isn't the EU?

Scotland have had the option to leave the UK, there was a referendum in Sept 2014 where Scotland voted (55.3%) to stay in the UK. There will probably be another one soon and considering how pro-EU the Scottish voters were it's likely they might vote for independence this time. 

12 minutes ago, dragontology said:

But based on what little I know, I'm tentatively on the "Remain" side of the fence. But I'm open to learning more about both sides.

You know the vote has already happened, right? 

Edited by ZakO
  • Like 1

I voted remain, because I cant see any good reason to leave. I see a lot of bad reasons for leaving, just look at what happened to the pound last night. Also I work at a University, where I see first hand EU funding coming in for medical research that wouldn't be funded elsewhere. My wife works for a charity and while she isn't EU funded she sees lots of community projects and jobs that are EU funded through the european regional development fund. No EU membership means all that close to me stops along with the jobs that goes with it. That is not scare mongering thats a fact.

Just saw this on Twitter

Think that's the kicker...people in the 20s and 30s will be the ones that live through this the majority of their lives.

6 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just saw this on Twitter

<Tweet>

Think that's the kicker...people in the 20s and 30s will be the ones that live through this the majority of their lives.

That is shocking and terrible news. This whole thing is mind boggling. I'm still trying to process it. :/

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just saw this on Twitter

It all depends on whether this brings more prosperity or less.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just saw this on Twitter

Yep, I didn't have a strong opinion either way, the UK is my home country but I haven't lived there for quite some time. It does seem unfortunate however that according to the statistics a significant portion of leave votes came from older or uneducated/unqualified people who will probably be affected the least. 

Dg8lcYX.png

Edited by ZakO
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ZakO said:

Yep, I didn't have a strong opinion either way, the UK is my home country but I haven't lived there for quite some time. It does seem unfortunate however that according to the statistics a significant portion of leave votes came from the old or uneducated/unqualified people who will probably be affected the least. 

Dg8lcYX.png

Considering that the vote is anonymous how have these figures been generated?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

Can someone enlighten me on how anonymous ballot papers translate into a 75% vote statistic?

I just looked up the source...it was a survey (YouGov) post voting....I'll add that to my post :)

Edit - Can't edit original post - Source

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Anonymous per person, but not per locality.  Correlation between a region's demographics and the voting trends.  Easy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

It's doesn't actually show individual votes, just the average age/education/qualification levels of each County plotted against overall remain/leave votes for said County. It's not 100% accurate but given the strong correlation it would probably be considered enough to roughly extrapolate the actual voting trends given we don't have any data that's more specific. 

1 minute ago, Nik L said:

Anonymous per person, but not per locality.  Correlation between a region's demographics and the voting trends.  Easy!

So it's not actually accurate and about as sound as the remain win forecast was :laugh: