new GPS: Windows CE 6.0

I needed to upgrade my Gps a new 7" screen system running Windows CE 6.0. I'm away from the device, it has like 428MB RAM and 8GB storage space to use. Standard miniSD slot. The GPS is named "careLOVE" and on sale through Amazon with 4/5 stars. I pre-programmed routes from my wife's grandparents to home. To my moms etc. I love the big screen since it's bigger and easier to see looking from road to screen due to eye focus. Age.

Question: The Windows CE, is it still supported although the version date is from 2014?

Other then that , it's solid.I did accidentally managed to get under the hood and see the Windows 2000 look and feel of the underlying OS.

oh ok. Good. I mean it's rock solid in every way . It has an FM receiver, video player, MP3 player should the wife want to pump Def Leppard or something. It cost me a mere $49.99 minus S&H. About $65

what GPS software does it run though ?

I know my old MIO unit that got stolen waaaay back ran windows CE. and it was excellent gps software, I also know that it could technically be installed on any unlocked windows CE gps unit.  that's the benefit of the CE units, they're very easy to unlock, often they are already unlcoked, you just need to know how to boot them, and you can replace the GPS software with whatever else that's made for CE.

of course, I just use my 7 inch old Galaxy Tab2 that I got with an old samsung camera, when I find my mount again, for now I just use my 5. the few times I use GPS I just use the voice anyway. 

7 hours ago, HawkMan said:

what GPS software does it run though ?

I know my old MIO unit that got stolen waaaay back ran windows CE. and it was excellent gps software, I also know that it could technically be installed on any unlocked windows CE gps unit.  that's the benefit of the CE units, they're very easy to unlock, often they are already unlcoked, you just need to know how to boot them, and you can replace the GPS software with whatever else that's made for CE.

of course, I just use my 7 inch old Galaxy Tab2 that I got with an old samsung camera, when I find my mount again, for now I just use my 5. the few times I use GPS I just use the voice anyway. 

it has its own propriety software on the OS. I'm on vacation now, I'll take pictures of the Gps software. It has apps and more. I'll research and see how one can hack it when I get back.

Chinavision sell a similar waterproof unit that runs Windows CE some of the bikers I know use them with Co-Pilot GPS software I think

3 hours ago, Arachno 1D said:

Chinavision sell a similar waterproof unit that runs Windows CE some of the bikers I know use them with Co-Pilot GPS software I think

the GPS software is igomyway by primo. App version: V3.2AF on Windows CE V6 Build Sept 15, 2014. I'll see if my mount is holding the stylus.

I'll do a YouTube video on my GPS and show you the apps and actual windows ce desktop. I want to see if this GPS is

unlocked to try and add apps. I'll revisit this topic after vacation.

Ok I posted some screenshots. Sorry about the picture quality (I used my laptops webcam :/ )

The Windows CE 6.0 desktop

2ypl0zs.jpg

GPS interface (to manually input destination)

2q1c8t4.jpg

another part of the interface paste the next one above

hvcppg.jpg

DID get caught in an issue at Knotts Berry Farm last night that when I put my wifes grandparents address into the GPS I got a "fatal Exception" error which ticked me off. but I'm keeping the original TomTom my wife bought a couple years ago as a backup. sucks though. the big screen was nice for my eyes to focus from the road to the device.

I believe, as long as you can get to the CE desktop its unlocked and you can replace the standard GPS app that starts on normal startup. 

this is what sucks, you might be right. What sucks is, this GPS doesn't have a website. Go figure. But I'm with you on putting any GPS software on it.

before you get all bent over this, I consider the possibilities. I'm seeing the positive side of course and negative sides. I'm simply discussing something interesting. Unless you aren't a person who tinkers.

back on topic: There's a mini SD slot that seems to be the only possibility to install apps/OS or data from. I'll see what works or not.

I'll post a screenshot in the morning. But you press the on button, see the "carelove" logo and you end up at the main Interface. It looks a lot like a smartphone or tablet with two pages of apps. One icon is named "WinCE" click it and you end up on the desktop. I remember seeing a MS Word app and others. Networking, looks very Win2000'ish. And an icon to exit the desktop. Doing so shuts down the whole GPS system.everything. A hard shutdown. I'll give you a screenshot when I wakeup.

I simply click the Wince link and go to the desktop. only caveat is, if I click on exit from the desktop, I have to shut the whole device off by a yes/no prompt. Note* the white dot off to the lower right is an icon to move from page one to page two

WP_20160628_22_09_08_Pro.jpg

neither did I. But this Does seem to offer possibilities to add apps and what not to it. i'll have to further research this when I get home from vacation.

Old Navmans used to work on WindowsCE in a similar manner and was locked to boot from their software but a clever chap made navmanunlocked to by-pass and enable the use of CE explorer.I used to use a TomTom app on my navman and it worked quite well enabling post code search which the Navamn gps software didnt have at that time.They also made the ability to install other apps so you might look up their old website and wiki for advice on this subject.