64% of 18-24 year olds didn't vote in the Brexit poll

~80% of the 55+ age group did. This isn't surprising, young people are apathetic when it comes to politics. They want to make their opinions heard but not when it really matters?

I saw these numbers on a UK website analyzing the polls. If they are true then the outcome shouldn't be surprising at all. What were they doing - too busy with FB and Twitter to actually vote? So now they can spend more time on social media whining about it?

FWIW I think the Brexit decision is a disaster and just the harbinger of bigger things to come since the world seems to be giving in to FUD, but this does explain why it happened.

• Like 2

If this is true then they got what they deserve. No need for sympathy anymore.

They ######ed it up for themselves.

16 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Nothing has happened yet. UK has not left EU nor have they voted officially to do so.

Actually, the worst most likely happened already.   Pound dropped, global markets are affected negatively.

It should be only getting better for UK from now on,  with huge potential to grow.    The only thing in the way, if they muck about and delay, or try to cancel the exit. 

Because this would have made the global hit all for NOTHING.     I hope they just get on with it.  But stalling may give them a chance to get a better leave deal.

50 minutes ago, Defcon said:

~80% of the 55+ age group did. This isn't surprising, young people are apathetic when it comes to politics. They want to make their opinions heard but not when it really matters?

>

I don't see this as a problem.

The connections between the frontal lobe and rest of the brain often aren't complete until the mid-20's, which is why decision making and impulsivity in younger adults can be, shall we say, questionable at best. 

Raise the voting to 25.  

1 minute ago, DocM said:

The connections between the frontal lobe and rest of the brain often aren't complete until the mid-20's, which is why decision making and impulsivity in younger adults can be, shall we say, questionable at best. 

Raise the voting to 25.  

Interesting, as in the last referendum (Scottish independence I think) 16-17 year olds were allowed to vote. I don't think anything magically happens and you suddenly become more socially responsible, its just that today's attitudes are very different.

4 minutes ago, DocM said:

Raise the voting to 25.  

i agree.   while there are a lot of brilliant young people who care about politics, and want and desire a voice...  on average, people that young either do not care, or care too much without really thinking it though for themselves.

they will vote, what their family or friends tell them to vote mostly. ...

however, i don't support raising the age.    if they are fit to fight for the country,  or drink or marry...  they should have the right to vote!

10 minutes ago, Defcon said:

I don't think anything magically happens and you suddenly become more socially responsible, its just that today's attitudes are very different.

It's not magical, but physical. The myelin sheaths around those nerves isn't fully formed yet, reducing the quality of the connection and the ability of the frontal lobes inhibitory centers to...inhibit. That is, stop the owner from doing stupid things.

It's like having breaks in the shield on a high frequency cable.

Any patent of teens and early 20-somethings know this song chapter and verse.

There are so many articles on every news website about how 'the old have destroyed the future for the young' etc, I wish some of those reporters had actually bothered to ask the complaining youngsters if they actually voted and if not to STFU.

I'm American, but looking at this from the "across the pond", I think this is the best thing that can happen to the E.U. (remains to be seen what happens to the U.K.).  This should serve as a wake up call to Brussels that they need to do some internal fixing and for their sakes do what they can do listen to other member countries that might have some grievances.

2 minutes ago, macrosslover said:

I'm American, but looking at this from the "across the pond", I think this is the best thing that can happen to the E.U. (remains to be seen what happens to the U.K.).  This should serve as a wake up call to Brussels that they need to do some internal fixing and for their sakes do what they can do listen to other member countries that might have some grievances.

EU can work but only if it gets fixed.

4 minutes ago, macrosslover said:

Also American, and IMO it has very little to do with EU/Brussels but more about fear of immigrants, losing jobs in uncertain economic times, the usual trigger words used by the far right everywhere. Its exactly how Trump is campaigning here. And it never ever ends well because they go back on their promises instantly since they were all lies to begin with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Defcon said:

I just want to know what stocks to buy so I can make a little money, if I can :) Is that too much to ask?

A lot of stocks that went down came back up.  A lot of people made a quick profit.

10 hours ago, wakjak said:

Nothing has happened yet. UK has not left EU nor have they voted officially to do so.

On the plus side, I'd like to believe the issues of accountability and liability are on the rise, especially when it comes to what people say in public and how it's being reported.

It has also triggered a debate on the necessity of a super-majority result in situations like this one.

It's funny because the biggest load of outcries I have seen especially on my own Facebook timeline are from this exact group. 

Also, the vast majority of them don't seem to understand what a truly democratic vote is. Not happy with how another age group voted? Tough. What are you going to do, bar them from voting? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Defcon said:

Also American, and IMO it has very little to do with EU/Brussels but more about fear of immigrants, losing jobs in uncertain economic times, the usual trigger words used by the far right everywhere. Its exactly how Trump is campaigning here. And it never ever ends well because they go back on their promises instantly since they were all lies to begin with.

Actually a lot of people in the UK are sick of their MP's using the line "I can't do anything about that because the EU control it" on every subject! Loads of MP's resigning because they've actually realised they'll have to start doing some work now.

10 hours ago, Gary7 said:

That age group does not vote period.

The stat was 64% and not 100%....some people did vote ;)

11 hours ago, Stoffel said:

If this is true then they got what they deserve. No need for sympathy anymore.

They ######ed it up for themselves.

They got what they deserve...not excusing the stat, but what about the countless people aged 25+ that did vote and later regretted what they'd chosen?

10 hours ago, DocM said:

Raise the voting to 25.  

Maybe not a minimum age, but they need to at least show a basic understanding of what's going on. 

Just now, dipsylalapo said:

They got what they deserve...not excusing the stat, but what about the countless people aged 25+ that did vote and later regretted what they'd chosen?

Surely they got what they deserved for not spending any time to come up with their own opinion?

Just now, Skiver said:

Surely they got what they deserved for not spending any time to come up with their own opinion?

Oh yeah, but that extends to everyone that voted and not singling out the 18-24 year olds.