How bad did your great-grand parents have it?

On 6/27/2016 at 11:22 PM, seta-san said:

yes.

Wow! I love seeing photos like that one. So much history on such a simple photo.

My Great Grandparents were abandoned before they were conceived, and had to work 26 hour days 8 days a week for 160 years under extreme poverty, eating coal to survive, were dead for 6 months, never missed a day's work, and were grateful :p 

Seriously,

No idea, they were from India, and almost no one heard of a camera back then, much less owned one, the only family history I have knowledge about is that they were farmers.

As were my Grand Parents, my Granddad fought for England in the 2nd World War, was permitted to stay, my parents are former market traders/truck drivers, as are my brothers, and myself.

3 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

My Great Grandparents were abandoned before they were conceived, and had to work 26 hour days 8 days a week for 160 years under extreme poverty, eating coal to survive, were dead for 6 months, never missed a day's work, and were grateful :p 

Seriously,

No idea, they were from India, and almost no one heard of a camera back then, much less owned one, the only family history I have knowledge about is that they were farmers.

As were my Grand Parents, my Granddad fought for England in the 2nd World War, was permitted to stay, my parents are former market traders/truck drivers, as are my brothers, and myself.

You had me for a second.:) To bad about the camera situation. Photos always have a story to tell.

4 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

My grandfather fought the war as well but I am not sure which war he fought for.  Either WW1 or WW2.   I have to look up the albums to see which war he was fighting for.  I have not looked at the albums for years since I last saw, maybe 20 years ago.

Not sure about my great grandparents but I have a 92 year old grand father.  He was a farmer and still a tough and healthy guy.  Only has been to the hospital once the past few years for UTI issues.  Drs tell him he looks better than most 70 year olds.  Still mows his own lawn, shovels his own snow, and plants a garden every year.   Required to take a driving test every year and passes every time.  They dont make them like him anymore.  Always enjoy talking to him and hear stories when he was younger or on the farm.  And I dont even mind if he repeats the stories.

I don't really know anything about my great grandparents, however my grandparents just worked hard and got on with it.

My Granddad on my Mums side was a tank driver in World War 2, then a Bus driver after the war ended. I remember him saying a bullet literally grazed his cheek, so he could have so easily not been here. He also broke his leg jumping over a wall during the war. He had a couple of very lucky escapes from what i gather!

My Grandma was really good with Maths and worked in accounts for a company down south, I believe after the war she moved up north, married my Granddad and became a house wife. She's 93 now and still lives at home, however can't really do much for herself so has carers who come visit her multiple times during the day, either my Mum or one of my aunts / uncles will go visit her each day too.

On my Dad's side my Granddad was a Soldier in both World Wars, then i believe he owned his own garage, I think my Grandma worked in a shop and was eventually a housewife. I don't know too much about my Grandparents on my Dads side, my Granddad died when my Dad was 18 and my Grandma when i was 3. I can remember sitting in a photobooth with her taking photos, I still have one of them at home :).

I hadn't thought about my great grandparents. All but one of them had died before I could remember, and my remaining great grandfather died when I was around five.

As others are talking about their grandparents, I may as well mention mine. On my father's side, my grandma was a nurse down in London during WW2, and my grandfather was a soldier. He got captured by the Japanese and came back broken, apparently. I don't know myself, he died before I was born. My grandma passed away a few years ago, and as we were clearing out the house we uncovered the letters that she had written to my grandfather while he was out there. Very touching.

On my mother's side, both grandparents were too young for the war. They would tell us about how they would hide under the table or in the shed when the air raid sirens went off. My grandfather doesn't remember his history, he grew up alone on the streets. He used to say that his first memory was shifting sacks of potatoes from the market stalls, and uncovering loads of rats. When he was old enough he joined the Navy. My grandma grew up and became a teacher.