System Shock Remake PC / Xbox One

Usually hate kickstarters, and remakes for that matter. 

But I think we can all agree we've been waiting for some more System Shock for awhile if your childhoods where as great as mine.

c71cfbbede2f24e42f7d003ffc55667b_origina

About

System Shock is a complete remake of the genre defining classic from 1994, rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine.

General Features
→ A modern take on System Shock, a faithful reboot; it’s not Citadel Station as it was, but as you remember it. Many improvements, overhauls and changes are being implemented to capture the spirit of what the original game was trying to convey, and bring it to contemporary gamers.
→ Re-imagined enemies, weapons, and locations by original concept artist Robb Waters.
→ Terri Brosius reprises her role as SHODAN, and new VO will be recorded.
→ Brand new musical score composed by Jonathan Peros.
→ The user interface, game mechanics, enemies, and puzzles will be updated to reflect modern aesthetics and sensibilities, while maintaining the feel of the original.

Backing

Scope Features
→ $900k Goal: Modern Inventory Management, Modern Controls, New Puzzles, Updated Faithful Levels, Game Difficulty Modes.
→ $1.7m Goal : Enemy limb dismemberment, More puzzles, Ammo types/weapon settings, Vending machines, Basic components/research, RPG progression, Weapon upgrading, Hardcore mode (No respawning), Ironman mode (Only 1 savegame. If you die, the save is deleted)

Has reached over $500,000 in 2 days.

All other relevant information at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock

Backed.

Of course I don't hate kickstarters... I have a bit of a kickstarter problem.  This one marks 126 backed.

• Like 1

I don't trust kickstarter, if you back it then great, I'll wait for them to finish and if it's working without issues then I'll go and buy it.

• Like 2

On 1 July 2016 at 0:19 AM, Asmodai said:

Backed.

Of course I don't hate kickstarters... I have a bit of a kickstarter problem.  This one marks 126 backed.

Just wondering how many of those have actually delivered and you haven't felt disappointed for? I've only ever backed a movie. (Blue Mountain State) and I would of paid the original amount I gave for a signed poster even without the movie. I am glad there is people who do back games but.

On 1 July 2016 at 2:54 AM, George P said:

I don't trust kickstarter, if you back it then great, I'll wait for them to finish and if it's working without issues then I'll go and buy it.

My thoughts to, seen to many games never deliver at all. Or old developers trying to cash in when they can perfectly get funded privately.

Up another $200,000 in 2 days, so we'll see this funded. Definitely the demand for it. 

9 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

Just wondering how many of those have actually delivered and you haven't felt disappointed for? I've only ever backed a movie. (Blue Mountain State) and I would of paid the original amount I gave for a signed poster even without the movie. I am glad there is people who do back games but.

They weren't all video games and they weren't all successful (i.e. reached their funding goal in the first place.)  That number is just the number backed from my Kickstarter profile and includes everything (even cancelled ones on ones still ongoing).  For example I backed a local convention, a local drive-in movie theatre, Reading Rainbow, restoration of Neil Armstrong spacesuit (by the Smithsonian),  Movies, Miniatures, Photography, etc.  Video games do constitute the majority though and I'd say I've been more happy than disappointed but there have certainly been disappointments.

I did get two refunds, Elite: Dangerous and Shadowrun.  Elite: Dangerous because I was looking more for a single player offline game like the prior Elite's (and didn't care if there was also multiplayer along for the ride) but they dropped offline mode and issued refunds.  I feel like it all worked out in the end (it was a bit sketchy at first when they dropped offline mode) and I harbor them no ill-will.  I'm sure it's a great game if you're looking for an online game but I personally have zero interest in that.

The second refund was Shadowrun when they announced all future updates would be Steam-only due to licensing issues.  They worked that out later though and I tore up the refund check and got my status reinstated when they were able to release the games on gog.com.  I've even gone on to back their Battletech kickstarter since.

The most spectacular failures are probably Star Citizen and Godus.  Though some will argue that both are still coming.  Additionally a little game called Worlds of Magic I backed twice and they've yet to deliver the game to the DRM-free backers.  It's been on Steam now for over a year and is apparently so bad that they've no rebooted it and are calling it Planar Conquest which I theoretically get for free is a backer but yet again it's available only on Steam and mobile devices (though this one is getting ok reviews) with the DRM-free version still in the works.

Again though while those are pretty big failures overall I'm happy with Kickstarter in general and continue to back projects.  My biggest successes are probably Divinity: Original Sin (and I can't wait for the second one!), Wastelands 2, Shadowrun (despite the refund incident), Pillars of Eternity, and The Banner Saga.

As long as you realize there is risk and don't put more money in than you can afford to lose I think it's a great platform for funding games.  I mostly just fund games with DRM-free versions as a way to vote against everything being Steam-ONLY. (I don't care if there is a Steam version as well, I realize many people like it and I don't want to get in a giant Steam debate here).  Also I realize that deadlines slip, RARELY to kickstarters deliver on time, even the ones that end up delivering a great product are often months late.  If you look at it as a way to pre-order a game at a discounted price though then I strongly suggest you stay away.

Two rules I've put on myself through experience though are:

1) Don't back tech hardware.  The tech industry moves too fast and kickstarters are typically delayed as noted above so more often than not even if you get the hardware you backed it's obsolete by the time you get it.  There are exceptions of course but there's just too much risk in my personal taste so I avoid them all.

2) Don't back MMOs.  MMOs require significant funding to keep the servers running, support staffed, etc.  Odds are if they are going to kickstarter for funding even if they launch the thing successfully they aren't going to have enough money to keep it going.  In fact I tend to even avoid games that are online (as with Elite: Dangerous above) because I don't want to buy a coaster (figuratively) if/when they shut the servers down.  There needs to be some offline component worth playing so even if they fold completely I still have a game I can play to some degree.

You can take those or leave them but that's what I go by.

Wow, this ended up really long.  If you made it this far I hope it answers your question and I haven't bored you to death. ROFL.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Asmodai said:

You can take those or leave them but that's what I go by.

Wow, this ended up really long.  If you made it this far I hope it answers your question and I haven't bored you to death. ROFL.

Didn't bore me at all, probably one of the best and informative posts I've seen posted here in a long time and was a good read. Can agree with the rules, and nearly has me bordering on the big-box backer version of this now to go with the rest of my big box collection.

Star Citizen is looking like it'll be awesome going by the current build, though obviously it has a ways to go.

But I don't really do kickstarter.  Occasionally I grab an Early Access title but for the most part I'm done with that too.

Just went to check where this was at, and currently at '$900,060' so must of clicked at the exact time :laugh:

So looks like this is getting started (Y)

Aaaand I've backed it as well. I see it's hit the seventh figure in pledges now.  :D

The footage coming out so far is impressive - as one who played the original a fair bit back in the day I'm still not processing properly how they have managed to make the game look modern while also retaining such fidelity to the original. It looks fantastic.