Police Launch 'Don't Touch Me' Wristbands to Stop Migrant Sex Attacks in Sweden

Police Launch ‘Don’t Touch Me’ Wristbands to Stop Migrant Sex Attacks in Sweden
by Virginia Hale | 30 Jun 2016

Sweden’s police chief unveiled the force’s latest weapon in the fight against sexual assault: wristbands reading “Don’t touch me”.

A recent Swedish press release warns that groping is a crime. In it, the country’s national police chief Dan Eliasson said: “No one should have to accept sexual molestation. So do not grope. And if you are groped, report it to the police.”

Mr. Eliasson mentioned a variety of actions such as “a hand tucked between the legs”, “a hug from behind in the crush at a club or festival”, and “one person holding somebody while another grabs their breasts”, describing them as “situations many young people recognise too well”.

The press release announced that police intend to equip young women with wristbands with the slogan “don’t touch me”. This will happen over the summer, at festivals and other events for young people. “By wearing these wristbands,” Sweden’s police chief said, “young women will be able to make a stand”.

It is unclear how effective the wristbands, which read “don’t touch me” in Swedish, will be in preventing attacks, as the majority of sex attack perpetrators are thought to be recent migrants who are unlikely to be able to read them.

Read further,
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/30/wristbands-stop-sex-attacks/

I was going to write a glib "How will a wristband stop this" type response - it won't help the victim and it won't bother the attacker...

But then again - the point of these programmes is not to reach either of those people.  It's to reach the populace, to adjust the mindset of what the mass feel is acceptable and unacceptable.  The more of the mass that feel this is unacceptable, the more will stand up for the victim or against the attacker should they see it.  It's about adjusting cultural norms, cultural tolerances to such things.

Now, I'm not a hypocrite, and I accept that in many cases I will argue against those who seek to badmouth immigrants and some of our predominantly Muslim friends.  But, I can stand down when needed, and will accept that from an observer's standpoint (and I say this as a DJ who see's it as part of his duty to keep an eye on the dancefloor and work alongside the security), I do see more of the blatant forms of groping and so on from the identified groups.  It's not a nice thing to say, it's certainly not politically correct and it's not damning an entire community - just what I personally have observed.

• Like 2

Now the attacker can say "Victim was not wearing a wristband so I assumed..."  :hmmm:

10 minutes ago, Nik L said:

I was going to write a glib "How will a wristband stop this" type response - it won't help the victim and it won't bother the attacker...

But then again - the point of these programmes is not to reach either of those people.  It's to reach the populace, to adjust the mindset of what the mass feel is acceptable and unacceptable.  The more of the mass that feel this is unacceptable, the more will stand up for the victim or against the attacker should they see it.  It's about adjusting cultural norms, cultural tolerances to such things.

Now, I'm not a hypocrite, and I accept that in many cases I will argue against those who seek to badmouth immigrants and some of our predominantly Muslim friends.  But, I can stand down when needed, and will accept that from an observer's standpoint (and I say this as a DJ who see's it as part of his duty to keep an eye on the dancefloor and work alongside the security), I do see more of the blatant forms of groping and so on from the identified groups.  It's not a nice thing to say, it's certainly not politically correct and it's not damning an entire community - just what I personally have observed.

I can see your point but this will not change a culture that has defamed women for centuries.

7 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I can see your point but this will not change a culture that has defamed women for centuries.

You are saying that cultural can't change? Actually it already has been changing and has been for a while which is a major reason for the backlash and growth of extremist elements.

It was only a few generations ago woman were basically property and second class citizens in America.

15 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

You are saying that cultural can't change? Actually it already has been changing and has been for a while which is a major reason for the backlash and growth of extremist elements.

It was only a few generations ago woman were basically property and second class citizens in America.

Cultures change, but not always in the right direction

30 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

But why wouldn't it? Cultures and accepted norms change extremely quickly compared to most things in the natural world.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

Cultures change, but not always in the right direction

Yes take a look at Saudi, their culture has not change one bit.

Coming soon to a country near you, legislation requiring a 15 page, signed, notarised and witnessed contract just to shake hands with someone.

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

Actually, it has. Women in Saudi can now hold a job AND drive a car thanks to their current King's progressive attitudes.  Pretty soon now they'll be able to answer back to their husbands without getting beaten and raped! :p

9 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Yes it will.  It won't change the culture they are indigenous to, no.  But the sooner they learn that in their new culture this won't be tolerated - they will stop.  Obviously this is a very very slow process, but can only occur if it's made obvious.

9 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Yes it has!  Now you're just posting lies!

Just now, Nik L said:

Yes it will.  It won't change the culture they are indigenous to, no.  But the sooner they learn that in their new culture this won't be tolerated - they will stop.  Obviously this is a very very slow process, but can only occur if it's made obvious.

They have been this way for centuries, it will take another century or two to change.

Just now, Gary7 said:

They have been this way for centuries, it will take another century or two to change.

In their own homeland yes.  Did you not understand - this is not being launched in Syria or such, this is in Sweden, a very progressive country - it reinforces an existing message to the masses.

10 hours ago, UXGaurav said:

Now the attacker can say "Victim was not wearing a wristband so I assumed..."  :hmmm:

no wristband = they were asking for it

2 minutes ago, Nik L said:

In their own homeland yes.  Did you not understand - this is not being launched in Syria or such, this is in Sweden, a very progressive country - it reinforces an existing message to the masses.

Yes I understand but the message is NOT going out to Swedes, it is for The Muslims. They are the ones that have to change. The events of today does not make it seem close to happening.

Just now, Gary7 said:

NOT going out to Swedes, it is for The Muslims

You don't say!  The (Muslim) immigrants IN SWEDEN!  Will they even see one of these bands?  Maybe, maybe not - doesn't matter.  It's about creating and nurturing a culture where enough people don't tolerate it in clubs, on the street, in a pool - the reaction, the mass-feeling - they will experience that, and eventually react.

This is not about reaching "a person", it's about empowering "people".

2 minutes ago, Nik L said:

You don't say!  The (Muslim) immigrants IN SWEDEN!  Will they even see one of these bands?  Maybe, maybe not - doesn't matter.  It's about creating and nurturing a culture where enough people don't tolerate it in clubs, on the street, in a pool - the reaction, the mass-feeling - they will experience that, and eventually react.

This is not about reaching "a person", it's about empowering "people".

If it does not matter then why even do it?  If it empowers the Swedes to fight back then that would be good.

Just now, Gary7 said:

If it does not matter then why even do it?  If it empowers the Swedes to fight back then that would be good.

I feel that you are either trolling or deliberately missing the point...

Let's say we have a room of 100 people.  25 of them think it's OK to molest another person.  Let's give a random sample of these people the bands...

The overall feeling of "it's not acceptable" in the room has risen, so let's say now only 20 think it's acceptable.  The prevalent message that any one person gets that it's not acceptable has just become stronger.  So maybe 2 more people's opinions change to "not acceptable".

So now it's 18 out of 100.  The process repeats and repeats over time until it tends towards a much lower percentage.

That's how you influence a mass of people.  Look, you always bring up "Hey I was a cop, so I know"...  EVERY single police department does community activities.  Is it generally the thugs, the low-lifes and the criminals who turn up?  No of course not - but the process is about creating a culture within the mass that actions are not acceptable, and you start to do this by reinforcing and empowering those who already have that message, so you positively influence a community.

3 minutes ago, Nik L said:

Let's say we have a room of 100 people.  25 of them think it's OK to molest another person.  Let's give a random sample of these people the bands...

The overall feeling of "it's not acceptable" in the room has risen, so let's say now only 20 think it's acceptable.  The prevalent message that any one person gets that it's not acceptable has just become stronger.  So maybe 2 more people's opinions change to "not acceptable".

So now it's 18 out of 100.  The process repeats and repeats over time until it tends towards a much lower percentage.

That's how you influence a mass of people.  Look, you always bring up "Hey I was a cop, so I know"...  EVERY single police department does community activities.  Is it generally the thugs, the low-lifes and the criminals who turn up?  No of course not - but the process is about creating a culture within the mass that actions are not acceptable, and you start to do this by reinforcing and empowering those who already have that message, so you positively influence a community.

How do you make a group of people who have no respect for women change their mind from a WRISTBAND?

1 minute ago, Hum said:

My wristband says, I'm easy :shifty:

My wristband says I'm married with children, even If I wanted too I"m too tired :D.

Just now, Nik L said:

if it empowers the Swedes to fight back then that would be good. So you are saying that by wearing these bands it will show the Muslim immigrants that this type of behavior is not accepted here. It should not be accepted and those that commit it should be deported.

Just now, SpeedyTheSnail said:

How do you make a group of people who have no respect for women change their mind from a WRISTBAND?

Don't worry, you'd not even understand.  It's all been laid out in black and white above, but your blinkered view of the world disallows you from even beginning to understand that it's not about a wristband.