Chrome must be considered to be spyware now

Wasn't this already the case?  If you go to Amazon, look up a product, then go browse Facebook, you'll see Amazon ads on  your Facebook for the product you looked at.

If the Linux version of Firefox didn't run like garbage on this computer I'd use it, but the difference in performance between Firefox and Chrome is night and day on this machine.

not really spyware, 

but more 

targeted advertising

been around for years but getting more advance.

sooner or later it will be like skynet......

I'm using Opera now. I successfully imported bookmarks, passwords which, means I can use the Veterans affairs website login. helps with my prescription refills.

5 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I'm using Opera now. I successfully imported bookmarks, passwords which, means I can use the Veterans affairs website login. helps with my prescription refills.

not sure I would trust opera either, isnt it build on Chrome? And werent they just bought out by a chinese company? No thanks.

5 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

Did you miss that Opera was just bought by a Chinese firm?

Another Chinese browser in the news in recent days...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/18/maxthon-browser-privacy-issue/
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12094930

15 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

That's probably the worst browser choice now given recent news...Quite sad, I liked Opera but it was never my browser choice. 

So much irrational hatred here, you do realize they ALL do this? Even Edge and any of the "security" minded FF clones 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Anibal P said:

So much irrational hatred here, you do realize they ALL do this? Even Edge and any of the "security" minded FF clones 

yea...who would have thought.  Wow ... going to get ads based on my search results.  Though I do not care for ads ... at least they will be relevant to what I'm interested in vs. some random ads which I'm not.  So, my targeted ads will be primarily in the science, medical, etc., genre ... vs. crap ads like the Kardashians and Pokemon or whatever  (maybe you get the idea).  

5 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

If Chrome is considered spyware what is Windows 10 considered...?

An operating system.

noun, Computers.

1.the collection of software that directs a computer's operations, controlling and scheduling the execution of other programs, and managing storage, input/output, and communication resources.

Abbreviation: OS

On July 18, 2016 at 0:40 PM, chrisj1968 said:

Silly statement. . .I use Safari, and firefox of which both allow me to bookmark the VA web site. . .:)

On 7/18/2016 at 11:48 AM, oldtimefighter said:

Did you miss that Opera was just bought by a Chinese firm?

Another Chinese browser in the news in recent days...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/18/maxthon-browser-privacy-issue/
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12094930

There was a recent period I was away on vacation and came home. then I was away a bit longer. So I missed it, but found it. As for the Chinese connection, I'm not surprised. I remember during the Clinton Admin, he gave the Chinese our only deep water port at the former Long Beach Naval Shipyard. that's worse than some browser

1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

There was a recent period I was away on vacation and came home. then I was away a bit longer. So I missed it, but found it. As for the Chinese connection, I'm not surprised. I remember during the Clinton Admin, he gave the Chinese our only deep water port at the former Long Beach Naval Shipyard. that's worse than some browser

Your post is slightly off topic since ....

- Opera is a Norwegian company...not a US company.

- After Long Beach Naval Shipyard closed ... the Chinese wanted to lease the space for a lot of money (don't recall the exact figure).  The deal fell through though and a South Korean company is now (or was) leasing the space.

Just now, jjkusaf said:

- After Long Beach Naval Shipyard closed ... the Chinese wanted to lease the space for a lot of money (don't recall the exact figure).  The deal fell through though and a South Korean company is now (or was) leasing the space.

Opera was bought by the Chinese

14 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Opera was bought by the Chinese

The browser and other assets.  Not the entire company (that deal failed).  The company itself is Norwegian.  Nothing to do with the US or what Chris posted.

So, I get a nice product for free, one that does things that I find useful that it's competitors don't. In return they see what sites I visit, and what products I look for and then serve me appropriate targeted adverts based on that information, and thus maybe help me buy a product or service that I have expressed an interest in.

Not entirely sure I see what the problem is. I'm OK with a company like Google doing this, at least they are pretty upfront about it. Now if they were wholesale giving governments access to the data I might have reason to worry.

• Like 1

Just now, jjkusaf said:

The browser and other assets.  Not the company.  The company itself is Norwegian.  Nothing to do with the US or what Chris posted.

I was referring to the Browser.

Just now, Gary7 said:

I was referring to the Browser.

I was referring to the company. 

21 minutes ago, jjkusaf said: