VPN Services & Masking IPs

This is what I'm looking at trying to do I need to know if there's a way to mask my IP address so that it looks like that I'm in Salt Lake City but I'm actually in another state how could I go about doing that ? 

Edited by Jason S.
Thread topic changed

You would use a VPN service. However I haven't used VPN seriously, so I'm in no position to be able to suggest a great service.

Lol... this sounds sketchy.

Do your parents think you're going to college but instead your hiding out? xD

Or are you lying to a girlfriend or something :p

• Like 1

Are you trying to get around Geo Restrictions or are you trying to spoof your location to say post on Facebook. If it is the latter and you have an Android device there is an app called FakeGPS that will do that.

Just now, John Teacake said:

Your worried about people lying to you on the Internet? oh dear... :laugh::laugh:

No, but this seems like it's a specific target. Parents or Girlfriend. I mean, I believe in honesty.

Do you honestly think parents know how or where to look to gain a specific ip to be able to look at getting a location for said ip?  I mean what service can a teen or parent subscribe to where it will reveal the public ip of a person on the Internet?  This would be a business, service, forum, or something else they are trying to fool....not a parent or girlfriend, unless they are a moderator/administrator of the forum or service that this person is trying to fool. 

59 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Do you honestly think parents know how or where to look to gain a specific ip to be able to look at getting a location for said ip?  I mean what service can a teen or parent subscribe to where it will reveal the public ip of a person on the Internet?  This would be a business, service, forum, or something else they are trying to fool....not a parent or girlfriend, unless they are a moderator/administrator of the forum or service that this person is trying to fool. 

You never really know. I mean, a friend of mine has gps tracking for his kids. I'm just saying, it feels sketchy.

How about we just ask the OP what he want to hide his location from, most likely he wants to watch US netflix and he is not in the US.

Then again its a 1 post wonder, prob come back and say oh I found this great vpn service you should check it out - here is the link...

If he is legit and not some spammer and looking to mask his IP someone prob brought up how they are hiding their IP and now his tinfoil hat shrunk and its cutting off the blood too his brain and he needs to hide his IP too because the NSA is out to get him...

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

How about we just ask the OP what he want to hide his location from, most likely he wants to watch US netflix and he is not in the US.

Then again its a 1 post wonder, prob come back and say oh I found this great vpn service you should check it out - here is the link...

If he is legit and not some spammer and looking to mask his IP someone prob brought up how they are hiding their IP and now his tinfoil hat shrunk and its cutting off the blood too his brain and he needs to hide his IP too because the NSA is out to get him...

There is an NSA/GCHQ Program that allows them to be ANY IP address in the world ANYWHERE....Maybe the OP could use that :shiftyninja:

Private Internet Access.
I use it myself for over a month now and its perfect. Fast speeds, multiple locations all over the globe, doesn't save any logs, that's what you want. 

On 7/21/2016 at 5:27 PM, BinaryData said:

You never really know. I mean, a friend of mine has gps tracking for his kids. I'm just saying, it feels sketchy.

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

I agree it looks sketchy as people usually want to spoof a different country NOT a different state BUT... He could just be a Pokémon Go addict. LOL

35 minutes ago, Anarkii said:

Private Internet Access.
I use it myself for over a month now and its perfect. Fast speeds, multiple locations all over the globe, doesn't save any logs, that's what you want. 

Agreed, but many of their IP's are getting flagged, forcing captcha pages to enter sites, which is rather annoying. This started happening about a month ago, so I hope they resolve it. 

"apt-get install openvpn-as"

Yup that is how easy it is to get a vpn connection to anywhere you can bring up a vps.  I have multiple low end vps in different parts of the US and couple in EU.. Not about hiding anything or geolocation.. More about being able to test traffic and other stuff from other locations.  Normally I just ssh to them and do the testing I want to do, but if having a problem with say my normal isp path and want to test something that I don't have running on the low powered vps, I can just vpn to it and check the speed/connectivity that way since the path is different using different peers, etc.

What advantage would you get from looking like your somewhere else be it IP or gps even for pokemon go?  Could you "catch" other pokemon by faking out your phone gps??  If so I could see that as becoming huge.  There are plenty of ways to run faked gps on your phone if its jailbroken, etc.

15 hours ago, BudMan said:

"apt-get install openvpn-as"

Yup that is how easy it is to get a vpn connection to anywhere you can bring up a vps.  I have multiple low end vps in different parts of the US and couple in EU.. Not about hiding anything or geolocation.. More about being able to test traffic and other stuff from other locations.  Normally I just ssh to them and do the testing I want to do, but if having a problem with say my normal isp path and want to test something that I don't have running on the low powered vps, I can just vpn to it and check the speed/connectivity that way since the path is different using different peers, etc.

What advantage would you get from looking like your somewhere else be it IP or gps even for pokemon go?  Could you "catch" other pokemon by faking out your phone gps??  If so I could see that as becoming huge.  There are plenty of ways to run faked gps on your phone if its jailbroken, etc.

Not everyone is as savvy as you are, BudMan. If they were, this world would be better off.. :)

8 hours ago, BinaryData said:

Not everyone is as savvy as you are, BudMan. If they were, this world would be better off.. :)

Shut your mouth! If people were savvy most of us would not have jobs, I need my job 

3 hours ago, Anibal P said:

Shut your mouth! If people were savvy most of us would not have jobs, I need my job 

I dunno. A robot is coming for it.