So the Windows 10 free upgrade deadline has passed ... but . . .

. . . apparently you can still get the free upgrade if you use "assistive technologies". According to a new page Microsoft have published . . .

For the general public, the free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ends on July 29. However, if you use assistive technologies,

you can still get the free upgrade offer even after the general public deadline expires as Microsoft continues our efforts

to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies.

This doesn't necessarily mean you have tell fibs about having a specific condition or disability that requires you to use certain accessibility features in Windows. Although Microsoft has not said which "assistive technologies" are applicable (yet) ... it could be as simple as increasing your font size on a hi-res display or using High Contrast Themes. You only have to visit the webpage and click the UPGRADE NOW button, at least until Microsoft decide to lock this one down.

Eitherway, if you haven't yet upgraded to Windows 10 yet, you haven't missed the boat yet. Here's the page posted on the Microsoft website . . .
Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies.

Microsoft could, of course, withdraw this offer at any time, and more than likely will do eventually.

Here's the source of where I found out about this ... on another tech news site (shock, horror!) :

Betanews.com ... Forget the deadline, you'll still be able to get Windows 10 for free, and this is how

Of course, since the original free upgrade offer has expired, and you still want to upgrade, officially you should get your wallet out and buy it.

Hmm, good to know. Although I feel like anyone who actually wanted Win10 has probably already taken advantage of the free upgrade.

2 minutes ago, DJGM said:

Here's the source of where I found out about this ... on another tech news site (shock, horror!) :

Betanews.com ... Forget the deadline, you'll still be able to get Windows 10 for free, and this is how

This was reported by Neowin a few months ago. Microsoft: Windows 10 upgrades to remain free to "customers who use assistive technologies"

• Like 2

I doubt it will be as easy as "turn on magnifier and get a free upgrade", though I'd like to see what's really needed get clarified. At the moment the wording is rather vague.

1 minute ago, Javik said:

I doubt it will be as easy as "turn on magnifier and get a free upgrade", though I'd like to see what's really needed get clarified. At the moment the wording is rather vague.

wq.PNG

3 minutes ago, Javik said:

Well, magnifier is an "assistive technology" and per Microsoft ...

"We are not restricting the free upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the free upgrade offer."

So yea ... /shrug :)

• Like 2

Yikes, I honestly didn't think it would be quite that easy. I wonder if they're keeping it that vague on purpose to offer people a backdoor to keep on upgrading to W10 after the public cutoff, it seems unlikely they'd make it that easy to get around by accident.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Javik said:

Yikes, I honestly didn't think it would be quite that easy. I wonder if they're keeping it that vague on purpose to offer people a backdoor to keep on upgrading to W10 after the public cutoff, it seems unlikely they'd make it that easy to get around by accident.

They are doing to prevent themselves from getting sued by some anti-Windows 10 ###### that wants to find a reason to sue them. While I hate Windows 10, there are plenty of morons out there who are sue happy.

3 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

They are doing to prevent themselves from getting sued by some anti-Windows 10 ###### that wants to find a reason to sue them. While I hate Windows 10, there are plenty of morons out there who are sue happy.

I don't quite see how that works. How would offering an upgrade path that's laughably easy to exploit prevent them getting sued?

8 minutes ago, Javik said:

I don't quite see how that works. How would offering an upgrade path that's laughably easy to exploit prevent them getting sued?

They missed the free upgrade but eventually want it. They can sue Microsoft and say they didn't have enough time to upgrade because they have a disability and couldn't install the update prior to the deadline.

By allowing an "accessibility" upgrade path they eliminate the liability of "discriminating" against people with disabilities. 

You know just as good as me that there are lawyers out there that will find vague and stupid reasons for a lawsuit, it is bad PR for Microsoft to have such a case no matter how stupid it is.

The cutoff date was clear and unambiguous. Whatever their real motivation is, I really doubt it's to do with lawsuits. The money they stand to lose from this loophole being exploited, if indeed it is as easy to exploit as it seems, would outweigh the money they might lose from a lawsuit. Whatever their reasoning is for this, I doubt it's to do with lawsuits.

Honestly, I think it's a rather commendable move, I'm just surprised they've (seemingly) made it so easy to exploit.

1 minute ago, Javik said:

The cutoff date was clear and unambiguous. Whatever their real motivation is, I really doubt it's to do with lawsuits. The money they stand to lose from this loophole being exploited, if indeed it is as easy to exploit as it seems, would outweigh the money they might lose from a lawsuit. Whatever their reasoning is for this, I doubt it's to do with lawsuits.

Honestly, I think it's a rather commendable move, I'm just surprised they've (seemingly) made it so easy to exploit.

They must be making lots of money by the free Windows update, if not now then in the future. Windows as a service can provide more money than an individual license could ever bring in.

4 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

They must be making lots of money by the free Windows update, if not now then in the future. Windows as a service can provide more money than an individual license could ever bring in.

They only do that for enterprise and it's optional. 

• Like 2

They do still sell Windows 10 OEM licenses, they still sell retail licenses, and they'll still be charging now the year for upgrade has passed.