kids with spectacles

At very early age babies start using gadgets which weakens their eye sight. What could be the best way to remove spectacles if they had at early age? Because at early age it is possible to regain good eye sight.

5 hours ago, jacknicholson said:

At very early age babies start using gadgets which weakens their eye sight. What could be the best way to remove spectacles if they had at early age? Because at early age it is possible to regain good eye sight.

I think the Mayo Clinic is little more authoritative than wherever you read that:

http://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/locations/la-crosse/medical-services/ophthalmology/myths-and-facts

Wearing eyeglasses will weaken the eyes: 

The eyeglasses worn to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, or presbyopia will not weaken the eyes any more than they will permanently "cure" these kinds of vision problems. Glasses are simply external optical aids that provide vision to people with blurred vision caused by refractive errors. Exceptions are the kinds of glasses given to children with crossed eyes (strabismus) or lazy eye (amblyopia). These glasses are used temporarily to help straighten the eyes or improve vision. Not wearing such glasses may lead to permanently defective vision.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

WTF?!

I'm suuuure that isn't the reason for your vision problems. :p

I kid, I kid.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jacknicholson said:

The lesson here is kids shouldn't even be touching phones or tablets until like four years old at a minimum. Besides hurting their eyes, flashy screens can cause attention, learning development, and sleep issues with children.

I won't even start them out on a tablet... A PC and the command line is a good start.

1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

The lesson here is kids shouldn't even be touching phones or tablets until like four years old at a minimum. Besides hurting their eyes, flashy screens can cause attention, learning development, and sleep issues with children.

I won't even start them out on a tablet... A PC and the command line is a good start.

How does it hurt their eyes? That sounds like a variation of sitting too close to the television hurts your eyes myth.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jacknicholson said:

Speaking from personal experience, the best way to restore kids eye sight, it to send them away so a village, or cottage or anywhere in nature, for at least 3 weeks, with no access to any electronics!

the old way to improve eyesight thought to me by a tibetan doctor, is to go out for a walk in the morning when the grass is covered with dew, and keep looking at blades of grass, trying to see every beatiful detail while walking straight, not leaning closer.

also looking at an object 6 inches away from the face, for 3 seconds then focusing on horizon for 6 seconds. repeat for 3 minutes - this worked well for me as a kid!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

How does it hurt their eyes? That sounds like a variation of sitting too close to the television hurts your eyes myth.

+1

I watched tv  for as long as I can remember as a kid (then I grew up, got smarter, spent less time in front of tv).

That tv myth was based on the very first tv units and sadly, didn't die...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

No, the TVs we had as kids weren't LCD screens with the blue light issue. The science isn't all in but eye care professionals are recommending children two years and younger not to be using tablets at all. Many adults experience eye strain and sleeping issues due to looking at screens to long and/or to close to bed time. Regardless, there is no reason or benefit for kids before school age to be using tablets.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jacknicholson said:

WTF ?  A 1 post wonder can start with an infinite amount of content choices and this scholar starts off with this ?

17 hours ago, techbeck said:

They have them for a reason.  Best way...talk an eye Dr and have them tell you.

Great Advice.

Now that my fiance is a pediatrician - as soon as that info is revealed in social environments - everyone starts asking questions "Oh my kid has [insert crazy ailment] - what should I do ?"

I know my fiance is a smart practitioner because her answer is the same every time - ".. You need to talk to your doctor about that"

16 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I think the Mayo Clinic is little more authoritative than wherever you read that:

http://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/locations/la-crosse/medical-services/ophthalmology/myths-and-facts

Im thinking people who believe the pseudoscxiences, the wholistic approach, or get their medical degrees from google - probably think that the medical industry is a big farce - they know better :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, Rippleman said:

myths vs reality. guessing that one had religious/mythology roots.

Yep - 

Im thinking these people are the ones who still think you shouldnt go outside with a wet head because you'll catch a cold.
Or - if you chew on your fingernails - a hand will grow in your stomach.

And the earth is balanced on the back of a huge turtle shell, and that turtle is standing on top of another turtle - "its turtles all the way down !"

• Like 1

On 8/12/2016 at 8:10 PM, adrynalyne said:

I kid, I kid.

Friend not my vision I am talking of my child's vision.:rofl:

On 8/12/2016 at 8:10 PM, adrynalyne said:

I kid, I kid.

Friend not my vision I am talking of my child's vision.:rofl:

On 13/08/2016 at 7:53 AM, T3X4S said:

And the earth is balanced on the back of a huge turtle shell, and that turtle is standing on top of another turtle - "its turtles all the way down !"

Everyone knows this is false.. The Earth is actually balanced on the back of 4 great Elephants, and it's they who are stood upon the back of Great A'Tuin, the Star Turtle!

• Like 4

On 8/12/2016 at 9:56 PM, E.worm Jimmy said:

Speaking from personal experience, the best way to restore kids eye sight, it to send them away so a village, or cottage or anywhere in nature, for at least 3 weeks, with no access to any electronics!

the old way to improve eyesight thought to me by a tibetan doctor, is to go out for a walk in the morning when the grass is covered with dew, and keep looking at blades of grass, trying to see every beatiful detail while walking straight, not leaning closer.

also looking at an object 6 inches away from the face, for 3 seconds then focusing on horizon for 6 seconds. repeat for 3 minutes - this worked well for me as a kid!

Yeah, looks like this is the only option. 

On 8/16/2016 at 6:09 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

Everyone knows this is false.. The Earth is actually balanced on the back of 4 great Elephants, and it's they who are stood upon the back of Great A'Tuin, the Star Turtle!

I just din't want to force him. So stood back, but this is affecting his health so I have to be strict.

3 minutes ago, jacknicholson said:

I just din't want to force him. So stood back, but this is affecting his health so I have to be strict.

Using electronics does NOT affect vision, negatively or positively.  If your child needs glasses, odds are they will need them for ever, especially if they're over the age of 7.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Using electronics does NOT affect vision, negatively or positively.  If your child needs glasses, odds are they will need them for ever, especially if they're over the age of 7.

I would not be so sure at all.   

In fact it absolutely can.   It can cause eye strain, focusing intently and without breaks, on a object nearby emitting blue light.

especially for young kids, it can affect the eyesight.

however,  eye exercises are known, and are recommended by some eye doctors, together with avoiding constant fixation on nearby object,

to prevent muscle strain and atrophy , that can lead to diminishing eyesight.

now I know you dismiss anecdotal evidence... but :p here it is:

I was told that I need -3.5 at the age of around 8-9, yet I corrected the vision by talking complete breaks from electronics in summer and doing eye exercises daily.

If my parents would just get -3.5 glasses, I would stay like that forever, like you suggested.    However I corrected it, quite easily within 2 months. 

I only needed glasses by the age 18, and only -2.0 (and not -3.5 which is a huge difference to me)

when I started by computer science degree, and stopped taking breaks from electronics, or doing any eye exercises

it also worked for my dad and a few other people we recommended it to.   

4 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

It can cause eye strain, focusing intently and without breaks, on a object nearby emitting blue light.  especially for young kids, it can affect the eyesight.

install f.lux then :rofl:

On 8/12/2016 at 10:49 AM, oldtimefighter said:

Agreed. And that tablet use will be minimized, it's becoming akin to plopping a kid down in front of a TV and forgetting about them. My cousin has a 7/8 year old who is on a tablet constantly, and when he can't use it, tons of temper tantrums or he's very distracted and unable to concentrate. Rarely goes outside. My kids will not be allowed to use them constantly, and will instead do productive things outside. Not sure i'll even allow a more than a flip phone until they're much older.

18 minutes ago, anthdci said:

install f.lux then :rofl:

absolutely. that is one thing I would highly recommend doing.   however  that does not help one bit with strain of intense and constant focus on an object that is extremely close by, like kids would do, given the slightest chance.

On 12/08/2016 at 9:57 AM, jacknicholson said:

Just like anything to do with your body, if you over use something you can strain it. Eyes can be strained not only with gadgets but other things too, like books, bright light, long distance, short distance etc etc. The key is being sensible.

Obviously a baby wont tell you if it's eyes ache but just make sure it doesn't over do anything and regularly visit the optician for check ups.