Devolo dLAN® 1200+ Starter Kit Powerline not giving full Internet speed; why?

This weekend I installed the Devolo dLAN® 1200+ Starter Kit Powerline.

However, on the first floor I don't have my full 200 MB/s internet down speed, but just 20 MB/s down.

(wired, directly connected to my router I get 200 Mb/s.)

So apparently somewhere between the router and Devolo devices I lose 90% of my speed.

Do I need to adjust some settings in my router, or has it to do with my electricity; I have no earthing pins in my wall plugs? Or is something else the cause here?

I have a CAT-7 1m cable between the Devolo device and my desktop.

So how exactly do you have this connected?

like this

pc - ethernet - devolo --- house power wiring ---- devolo - ethernet - router lan port - internet

You didn't plug your devolo's into any sort of power device like a surge protector or ups did you?

I would contact that maker or their forums for troubleshooting this.. I would assume if they are gig rated, etc. that you should be able to get your 200mbps..  Do you have a really old house with really old power?  I would assume the power circuit your pc side devolo is connected too is different than the power circuit your router side one is plugged into, etc.  This should not be an issue.. But if the power in the building is really really old??

You installed their cockpit software right.. Can you post a screenshot of this showing your 2 connectors and the speeds its shows, I believe there is some sort of optimization that can be done if shows connection in red, etc.

I had an extension lead in between. Changed the setup, so that the devolo adapter is directly plugged into the power plug.

Now it's the abovementioned setting.

When I plug the devolo device (with two ethernet connectors) in the power plug near the adapter (connected to router) I get 170 MB/s (out of 200 MB/s)

When I plus the same devolo device on the first floor in a power plug I get 70 MB/s.

Cockpit software shows 200MB plus.

What can be the case for this lower download when performing a speedtest?

Cockpit.png

Cockpit2.png

Speedtest.png

Ziggo.png

makes no sense..  Can you do a test.. Can you plug a computer/laptop into your router.   And then one on other end of your devolo plug..  Which says your getting 206mbps

So you would have this..

speedtest.jpg

Use whatever your 2 IPs are that is just example.

You can grab iperf3.1.3 for windows 32 or 64 bit from here

http://files.budman.pw/

I compile it myself ;)  and you should get something like this

Budman@I5-WIN C:\Users\budman
> iperf3 -c 192.168.9.239
Connecting to host 192.168.9.239, port 5201
[  4] local 192.168.9.100 port 64408 connected to 192.168.9.239 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   109 MBytes   913 Mbits/sec
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   109 MBytes   913 Mbits/sec
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   112 MBytes   937 Mbits/sec
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   112 MBytes   938 Mbits/sec
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   112 MBytes   938 Mbits/sec
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   112 MBytes   938 Mbits/sec
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec   112 MBytes   938 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   933 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   933 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

That is from my workstation to laptop I fired up.. Clearly that is not over any sort of powerplug connection, they are both connected into my switch..  But that will gives us independent test across your devolos so have something other than what their software tells us is their speed ;)

Since you say you get over 100 I assume router is gig.. So just make sure the other computer/laptop you plug in is also gig..  From that computer directly connected to your router do a speed test to internet, so we sure its showing close to your 200, etc..

Screen flashed with no speeds whatsoever.

Do I need to run it in DOS mode? How do I start this thing and get this log to you?

I run Win 10 AU 64 bit.

yeah you need to have a prompt open ;)

start, cmd - then run the commands in the black box ;)

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

yeah you need to have a prompt open ;)

start, cmd - then run the commands in the black box ;)

I've tried that, but there are lots of commands, thus options, being given.

Which one are you looking for?

dude I gave the commands too you already - yes there are lots and lots of options. We don't need any of them for a basic test.

On machine 1 put iperf3 in server mode.. -s

iperf3 -s

That is ALL you need to run.. it will look like this

> iperf3 -s
-----------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on 5201

Then on the other machine iperf3 -c ipaddress

This tells iperf to run in client mode and connect the IP address of machine your running it as server..  Do you know the IP address of machine your running is as server?  You can do ipconfig to get that, etc.  Or you could try it with just the hostname and should broadcast for the name, etc.

So on my server machine

> ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : local.lan
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.253

> iperf3 -s
Server listening on 5201

Now on my client machine I would run

iperf3 -c 192.168.9.100 since that is the IP address of where iperf3 is running in server mode.

I now see the commands in small font in your image.

But, hmmm.., I get:

iperf3.png

My router is an Asus RT-AC68U,  Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_3831

Is this some router setting which prevents/limits bandwidth and speed/data?

EDIT:

I still get the 'connection timed out'-message, but the speedtest.net is improving to 128 MB/s...

Edited by kiddingguy

well are you running software firewall on the one your running server on?  Can you ping that IP?

If its windows 10 then yeah is running out of the box firewall, that yeah you would have to allow connectivity to the port the application is listening on tcp 5201 by default.  Or have to go into your firewall and allow the iperf3 application, etc.  Or turn off the firewall on the box your running iperf3 in server mode for testing, etc.

Cat 7, Wow. Unheard of before on here i think ha, Although I bet BudMan is CAT7'd up. What brand of cable? Is it legit CAT 7. Just a question.

To be fair I have had varying degrees of luck with these kinds of things, I got some TP link ones and I cant even get over 30mbps with them. I think alot comes down to the wiring in the house.

no reason to run cat 7.. most of my cable is 5e, I have some 6 but why would I run 7 I don't have 10ge as of yet ;)  And its not even recognized by TIA as of yet, I don't think..

Sorry for the wait, but I'm in the middle of moving in and out.

I performed the iperf3 test.

On the server/notebook I turned off ESET Smart Security 9 and the client (KIS2016).

The result is:

I hope this helps troubleshooting...

iperf3-results.png

On 8/18/2016 at 1:07 PM, John Teacake said:

Cat 7, Wow. Unheard of before on here i think ha, Although I bet BudMan is CAT7'd up. What brand of cable? Is it legit CAT 7. Just a question.

To be fair I have had varying degrees of luck with these kinds of things, I got some TP link ones and I cant even get over 30mbps with them. I think alot comes down to the wiring in the house.

The brand is: Hama, 2m CAT7 cable

My home setting:

Ground floor: Internet/modem/router and Devolo powerline adapter

First floor: Devolo 1200+ Wifi/ac adapter

Two different groups of electricity

I just tested:

Devolo Wifi/ac adapter on ground floor in both earthing pins and non-earthing: here are the speedtest.net speeds 158 MB/s down (on notebook with Win 10/ESET).

Devolo Wifi/ac adapter in first floor shows the 100 MB/s results.

Speedtest v3.png

well that iperf was total utter crap..  Nothing would work with that sort of connectivity..

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

well that iperf was total utter crap..  Nothing would work with that sort of connectivity..

What can be possible cause(s)?

The Devolo devices also have IP-addresses. Do these need to be whitelisted in KIS/ESET? And/or Windows 10?

Are there some Windows 10 settings preventing the fullblown speeds?

What's also strange is the 50% increase in download speeds (160 vs 100) between ground floor and first floor.

A certain 'lag' can be, because it's not wired (so 160 MB/s should be ok, right?)

so that connectivity via iperf is a total fail.. Nothing would be working across such a connection..  Can you run the test again.. There is no freaking way you see speed test work at all with such a connection.

17 minutes ago, BudMan said:

so that connectivity via iperf is a total fail.. Nothing would be working across such a connection..  Can you run the test again.. There is no freaking way you see speed test work at all with such a connection.

I will run one later on today.

I'm getting a new modem from my ISP this week.

Although for the test this shouldn't make a difference, but I would like to test in my newly setup.

that test had nothing to do with your modem or internet connection that was just testing across your powerline adapters - though you were connected into switch port on your router..

I decided to go wired.

Just fixing the wall connector tonight or tomorrow to have my max speeds.

(I also contacted Devolo and they told me that no earthing pins and electricity can cause these issues of not having the maximum speeds)

"I decided to go wired."

Good choice ;)  While powerline adapters normally would be better than say wifi..  Its always better to have a wire...

"no earthing pins and electricity"

So you mean your house wiring is not up to code and not grounded?  You might want to have that looked at..  Well yeah there is going to be electric on the electric wiring ;)  Are they saying if there is some devices using the same circuit that they won't get full speed?  Your iperf test was not just something less than full speed it was utter crap like no connection at all..