Why are there so many adverts in free apps?

There has been freeware for PC for years and years, i have never once seen a single advert when using the software or playing a free game on PC, even using a free OS.

so why do Apps on phones that are free have so many adverts?

i know the argument would be that they need to make money somehow to develop the app or more apps, but software developers put out free software all the time without the need to resort to adds everywhere.

couldn't they just make the money off of all the data they are already collecting from us when we install them, with all the permissions you need to give the apps!

I think it depends on the developer.

Some history however:

When google initially launched the play store, to help seed it quickly they only allowed free apps, not payed ones.

Apple takes %30 of all purchases in the app store cutting down the profit margin of the developer.

I hate ads, and if the developer offers the ability to purchase an ad-free version, I always do.

There is F-Droid for open source and free stuff, but i think it's strange too, that phone apps have lots of ads, but freeware pc stuff doesn't have nearly as many

maybe because all phones are connected to the internet, so they're always available?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buttus said:

There is F-Droid for open source and free stuff, but i think it's strange too, that phone apps have lots of ads, but freeware pc stuff doesn't have nearly as many

Checking out F-Driod, this looks like an awesome / fun utility.