Windows 10: how to get old start menu behavior to power off?

So before the anniversary update in w10 - and every other damn version of windows ever - you could press the start menu, then right and it'd go to shutdown. Now you can only do that if you flaff around with tab and pressing down a random number of times? What is this ######? How the heck do I just get the power button placed back on the right so it's usable?

You can't even have a link to my computer in the start menu list anymore. I don't even get it, why the ###### haven't the people that made all these stupid decisions been fired yet?

• Like 2

The option is there, I'm not disputing that, it's how you use the option. In windows 7 you press the windows key, hit right and if you press space it shuts down, or you can press right and see a number of other options like restart. Heck that's how it worked on windows 10 until this new update.

Now with the new update you have to press tab? Then go down to shutdown and do it that way. It's not a natural shortcut, it's a much longer process and it's very, very annoying. There is no other way to get to that option without using tab.

And what the hell happened to recently used files? Previously if I opened a file in notepad - not forgetting I could do such a simple task like pinning a damn application to the top of the start menu which has been removed because ###### knows why - I could see a list of recently opened files with it. Well, no longer. And along with the start menu item pinning being removed, the recently used list is nonsense. I've never used maps or people or sticky notes so why are they appearing at all? And remote desktop - which I launch all the time - is no-where to be seen in this mystical sodding list.

I just cannot actually believe it, windows 10 wasn't bad, but this just destroys all the work they did. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Our students can't find where to logoff, so they're just leaving themselves logged in.

So I wrote this powershell:

[void][reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("System.Windows.Forms")

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms 
Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Drawing

# Form Dimensions
$objForm = New-Object System.Windows.Forms.Form 
$objForm.Size = New-Object System.Drawing.Size(300,100) 
[System.Windows.Forms.Application]::EnableVisualStyles()
$objForm.StartPosition = "CenterScreen" 
$objForm.FormBorderStyle = "Fixed3D"
$objForm.WindowState = "Normal"
$objForm.SizeGripStyle = "Auto"
$objForm.ShowInTaskbar = $False
$objForm.AutoSize = $True
$objForm.AutoSizeMode = "GrowAndShrink"
    # or GrowOnly

# Show Window Controls
$objform.ControlBox = $True

# Titlebar Icon
$objForm.Icon = [System.Drawing.SystemIcons]::Question

# Titlebar Text
$objForm.Text = "Would you like to Logoff?"

# Declare Font Settings
$Font = New-Object System.Drawing.Font("Times New Roman",18,[System.Drawing.FontStyle]::Bold)
# Font styles are: Regular, Bold, Italic, Underline, Strikeout
$objForm.Font = $Font

# Window Text
$Label = New-Object System.Windows.Forms.Label
$Label.Text = "Would you like to Logoff?"
$Label.AutoSize = $True
$objForm.Controls.Add($Label)

# Background Image
$img = [System.Drawing.Image]::Fromfile($file)
$objForm.BackgroundImage = $img
$objForm.BackgroundImageLayout = "None"
    # None, Tile, Center, Stretch, Zoom
#$objForm.BackColor = "Blue"

# Logoff Button
$LogoffButton = New-Object System.Windows.Forms.Button
$LogoffButton.Location = New-Object System.Drawing.Size(15,50)
$LogoffButton.Size = New-Object System.Drawing.Size(125,30)
$LogoffButton.Text = "LOGOFF"
$LogoffButton.Add_Click({$objForm.Close(); shutdown -l})
$objForm.Controls.Add($LogoffButton)

# Cancel Button
$CancelButton = New-Object System.Windows.Forms.Button
$CancelButton.Location = New-Object System.Drawing.Size(150,50)
$CancelButton.Size = New-Object System.Drawing.Size(125,30)
$CancelButton.Text = "CANCEL"
$CancelButton.Add_Click({$objForm.Close(); 'shutdown -a'})
$objForm.Controls.Add($CancelButton)

#Add controls and show form
$objForm.Topmost = $True
$objForm.ShowDialog()

And made a shortcut that starts minimized pointing to:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command "& {Start-Process PowerShell.exe -ArgumentList '-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File ""\\server\share\logoff-prompt.ps1""' -Verb RunAs -windowstyle Hidden}"

And the shortcut is using the small yellow key icon from: 

%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

Hope this might be of some aid.

lol about 5 seconds ago just got a angry E-mail from a guy I help with his computer every once in a while bitching about the update and the change to the start menu.

*I was ok with the old 10 menu but ever since I seen the change coming on the insider preview I've been putting classic shell on all of mine the new menu annoys me greatly.

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

Or you can use Classic Shell.

With classic shell can I go back to the old windows 10 style before the anniversary update or is it only 8/7 theme? And does it support the recently used items for things like notepad in the start menu? Heck even if there isn't an old 10 theme in it I might use it anyway, this new design is complete tosh and unusable.

3 minutes ago, n_K said:

With classic shell can I go back to the old windows 10 style before the anniversary update or is it only 8/7 theme? And does it support the recently used items for things like notepad in the start menu? Heck even if there isn't an old 10 theme in it I might use it anyway, this new design is complete tosh and unusable.

You can do a great deal with it I will upload a ss.

The Folders were from a post in the customization section here and the Icons. All the rest is Classic Shell.

dt.png

2 hours ago, Gary7 said:

You can do a great deal with it I will upload a ss.

The Folders were from a post in the customization section here and the Icons. All the rest is Classic Shell.

dt.png

That is.. quite a desktop you have there, Gary7.