PC to 4K TV - 4096x2160 only at 30 Hz - cable issue?

My PC (with a GTX 1080) is connected to an AV receiver (Pioneer VSX-324-K-P) via. HDMI (two cables with an extender in the middle, as both cables aren't very long).

The receiver then connects to my TV (a Toshiba 48U7653DB).

Windows is only allowing a 30 Hz refresh.

I assume it's one (or both) of the two HDMI cables causing this restriction?

EDIT: The problem is with the receiver.

Edited by Elliot B.

Cables are fine.

But HDMI 1.4 devices can't do 4k at 60Hz only at 30Hz.

To have 4k at 60Hz you need a GPU, receiver and extender supporting HDMI 2 or you need to use Display port. The extender and/or receiver are probably at fault here.

When you say Windows I assume you mean the Nvidia Control Panel itself? As you can change the refresh rate within it.

7 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

My PC (with a GTX 1080) is connected to an AV receiver (Pioneer VSX-324-K-P) via. HDMI (two cables with an extender in the middle, as both cables aren't very long).

The receiver then connects to my TV (a Toshiba 48U7653DB).

Windows is only allowing a 30 Hz refresh.

I assume it's one (or both) of the two HDMI cables causing this restriction?

It don't looks your tv allows hdmi 2.0, idk if it can work like pc monitors with 2 cables to get 60hz.

Just now, Aokromes said:

It don't looks your tv allows hdmi 2.0, idk if it can work like pc monitors with 2 cables to get 60hz.

What would be the point of a 4k TV not supporting HDMI 2? I thought all of them did ...

2 minutes ago, LaP said:

What would be the point of a 4k TV not supporting HDMI 2? I thought all of them did ...

Not sure, but the manual seems to indicate that all the HDMI ports can only support 1080p and UHD to 30Hz, which indicates that the ports are 1.4 and not 2.0.

Edit, now I am not so sure, this TV must be of the lower-end or cost-savings, I keep finding mixed reports and not many reviews on it.

Page 19 of the manual says it accepts 3840 x 2160 at 50/60 fps as well as 4096 x 2160 at 50/60 hz.

The set is listed as having a 3840 x 2160 native display resolution.

So, it has to be HDMI 2.0 as 1.4 tops out at 30 hz for UHD resolutions.

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Not sure, but the manual seems to indicate that all the HDMI ports can only support 1080p and UHD to 30Hz, which indicates that the ports are 1.4 and not 2.0.

ah it ****. I would definitely not buy a 4k TV not supporting HDMI 2.0.

eb_tv4ksupport.png

A screenshot from the manual. The TV appears to support 4K @ 60 Hz.

I only wanted to connect the PC to the receiver (instead of to the TV directly) in order to get surround sound support.

Since the problem is with the receiver only being HDMI v1.4-compatible, I'll just connect the PC to the receiver via. optical for my surround sound support :)

It is your receiver, says the following on Page 12...

4k 24p, 4k 25p, and 4k 30p are supported.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 4K, where the original standards from just a year ago are already outdated.

What happens if you bypass the receiver and hook up the PC straight into the TV?

1 minute ago, DirtyLarry said:

What happens if you bypass the receiver and hook up the PC straight into the TV?

Will still not work because of the extender. He'll need a longer cable. I'm almost sure the cheap extender doesn't support HDMI 2.

1 minute ago, DirtyLarry said:

It is your receiver, says the following on Page 12...

4k 24p, 4k 25p, and 4k 30p are supported.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 4K, where the original standards from just a year ago are already outdated.

Good catch.

You should not have to use optical. Your receiver supports ARC Audio. So if you hook up your PC straight to the TV with an HDMI cable and have both the audio and video come over it, the audio signal from the PC into the TV can go back to the receiver on the same cable that is going out from your receiver into the TV.

More info can be found on Page 30 of your receiver manual.

ARC is a bit finicky though, as you can see on the page referenced. And I do find you usually will have to play with the delay as well.

41 minutes ago, DirtyLarry said:

You should not have to use optical. Your receiver supports ARC Audio. So if you hook up your PC straight to the TV with an HDMI cable and have both the audio and video come over it, the audio signal from the PC into the TV can go back to the receiver on the same cable that is going out from your receiver into the TV.

More info can be found on Page 30 of your receiver manual.

ARC is a bit finicky though, as you can see on the page referenced. And I do find you usually will have to play with the delay as well.

Only HDMI 3 on my TV supports ARC.

I have connected the receiver to HDMI 3 and the PC to another HDMI port.

Within the TV's settings, "CEC" is set to Enabled, "CEC Auto Power On" is set to "Enabled" and "Speakers" are set to Amplifier.

ARC is enabled in the HDMI menu of my receiver.

I am selecting the TV as the output in Sound in Windows.

I hear the PC's audio out of the speakers that are connected to the receiver, so it kind-of works.

I can only hear Stereo.

When I click on Configure in Windows' Sound options (for the output to the TV), I'm only getting the Stereo option.

Any ideas?

eb_hdmi-arc-1.png

eb_hdmi-arc-2.png

eb_hdmi-arc-3.png

Edited by Elliot B.

Just checking, Did you follow the steps in the manual about powering down the TV and receiver in a certain order?

The PDF must be protected as I cannot copy and paste from it, but on page 30, under Before you start ARC operation, there are some steps it suggests to definitely enable ARC.

Also your receiver may need to be switched to another input as well ,for example my remote for my receiver has a "TV Audio" button that  I sometimes have to press to hear the ARC audio coming in. It does not always automatically kick in. I checked the manual and for you it may be TV or it may be Signal.

Other than that I do think Windows is going to just say it has only 2 speakers as it is detecting your TV's speakers. but the fact it has Dolby Digital under Encoded Formats means your receiver should still process it as surround sound when it gets the signal (if you can get it working).

Finally I did edit my post to say ARC is kind of finicky. You may have to do some more Googling of ARC with your specific Receiver to get the details as to how to make it work officially. 

31 minutes ago, DirtyLarry said:

Just checking, Did you follow the steps in the manual about powering down the TV and receiver in a certain order?

The PDF must be protected as I cannot copy and paste from it, but on page 30, under Before you start ARC operation, there are some steps it suggests to definitely enable ARC.

Also your receiver may need to be switched to another input as well ,for example my remote for my receiver has a "TV Audio" button that  I sometimes have to press to hear the ARC audio coming in. It does not always automatically kick in. I checked the manual and for you it may be TV or it may be Signal.

Other than that I do think Windows is going to just say it has only 2 speakers as it is detecting your TV's speakers. but the fact it has Dolby Digital under Encoded Formats means your receiver should still process it as surround sound when it gets the signal (if you can get it working).

Finally I did edit my post to say ARC is kind of finicky. You may have to do some more Googling of ARC with your specific Receiver to get the details as to how to make it work officially. 

The remote control for the receiver doesn't have a TV Audio, TV or Signal button.

I'll keep researching.

Pages 8, 21 and 22 of the manual you linked shows the remote should have a TV button and a Signal Select button. Does your remote not have those buttons? Both are by the different input buttons, bottom row it looks like. I just did not write Signal Select out since it was the only Signal button on the remote and I figured it would be what I was referencing.

I would actually lean towards the Signal Select button due the description for it on Page 8.

I haven't read all this about manuals and such. I did notice in the title you state your attempting to use a resolution of 4096 x 2160. Your TV is UHD which is a resolution of 3840 x 2160. I have a "4K TV" as well and the native resolution is 3840 x 2160.

15 hours ago, DirtyLarry said:

Pages 8, 21 and 22 of the manual you linked shows the remote should have a TV button and a Signal Select button. Does your remote not have those buttons? Both are by the different input buttons, bottom row it looks like. I just did not write Signal Select out since it was the only Signal button on the remote and I figured it would be what I was referencing.

I would actually lean towards the Signal Select button due the description for it on Page 8.

The Signal Select button is doing nothing.

Nothing changes on the receiver screen etc.

15 hours ago, Bryan R. said:

I haven't read all this about manuals and such. I did notice in the title you state your attempting to use a resolution of 4096 x 2160. Your TV is UHD which is a resolution of 3840 x 2160. I have a "4K TV" as well and the native resolution is 3840 x 2160.

3840 × 2160 is 16:9 and is correct.

4096 × 2160 is wrong, sorry (Y)