Cycling

So early in the year my office moved further away so rather than a rough 2 mile walk it turned to 6 miles so it was a silly walking distance. Rather than just give in and start driving to work I got myself a modest hybrid bike and although I told myself and others in the office that this is just a tool to get me to work, I don't care too much about it other than that I've started considering whether moving to something like a cleat or SPD pedal system may benefit my commute every day.

However I have not got a clue about all the various technologies (I had no idea there were so many variations) and the benefits/cons of each type so I'm hoping we have some keen cyclists that can impose their wisdom on me!

I'm a major bike n00b so I don't know much about the components on my bike if they are needed but I'll try my best if more info is needed.

Just now, Skiver said:

Blasphemy, that's cheating!

No Hybrid as in its in between a Mountain bike and a Road Bike

ah good, I was just going to go ape ###### on your ass if you answered yes :laugh: 

• Like 1

Luck you. I've had a Specialized CrossTrail Disc for about 4 years. I wish I could commute to work (3 miles) but there are too many hills and not enough bike friendly road (majority of the way to work is on a 40 mph road where everyone goes 55-60 mph, and no sidewalk)

2 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

I'd say pick the most affordable one with shimano gears. 

I'm either even more out of the loop then I thought or you misunderstood - I'm talking about replacing the flat pedals on my bike for something to clip into.

Just now, Draconian Guppy said:

ah good, I was just going to go ape ###### on your ass if you answered yes :laugh: 

Nope, the main reason for this is fitness, I sit behind a desk for far too many hours of the day so I need that 25 minutes of good exercise before and after work

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Luck you. I've had a Specialized CrossTrail Disc for about 4 years. I wish I could commute to work (3 miles) but there are too many hills and not enough bike friendly road (majority of the way to work is on a 40 mph road where everyone goes 55-60 mph, and no sidewalk)

The vast majority of my route is on road but it's pretty much all 30MPH and there sections that even have a cycle lane so I always feel pretty safe, had a few close calls but it's so far been more due to careless drivers then my own mistakes.

My route home is mostly up hill but its nothing crazy, according to Strava I climb around 200 feet. It's tough but getting easier and I'm hoping moving to a pedal system that lets me get a bit more power (push and pull on the pedals) will help me get that extra bit of pace out.

I have a Trek Road Domane 5.2 roadbike myself. Hybrids are fine for all around biking. It really is whatever suits you as a rider. I've been biking for many years after I had both my hips replaced. It really is an awesome way to get exercise.

Trek_domane_5.2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I developed the hobby of cycling while I was doing an exchange in Cologne, Germany. Germans have the habit of cycling among all age groups so I developed the hobby of cycling.