Best Budget Gaming Card (1080p)

Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up a new or used gfx card for around $125 US (maybe $150 US) max to do some 1080p gaming; MMO, FPS. I'm looking for suggestions on which model to get since I get a different answers everywhere else I've looked.

Thank you!

You could get a GTX 950 or RX 460 but don't pay more than 120$ for those (forget about 4GB models, they're rip-offs).

The next card worth recommending would be the R9 380, which starts new at 200$, but you might find an open box or used one in your price range (there's this one for instance) Used or open box cards are your best bet if you're trying fit a better card in your price range, but that really depends on stores and availability. If you're going to stretch to 200$ you're in RX 470-480 4GB/ GTX 1060 3GB territory, which are in another league completely (and well worth saving up for IMO).

At that price point ... probably the RX 460.  

...but I would probably save a little more and get the RX 470 (and wait for the prices to come down a bit...should be ~$170).

If you can scrap up $70 more you can get a brand new architecture AMD rx 470 which is the same ballpark speed of a nvidia 970 which was $400 just 2 months ago for $195 :-)

You get a MUCH BETTER card for an rx 470 at the sub $200 range if you can scrap up compared to a 950 or 460 which is much slower. Also the 470 is faster than the $200 R390 too

8 minutes ago, Crackler said:

Would you guys go RX 470 or GTX 1060?

RX 480 is still cheaper and better in Direct X 12 and Vulcan games. Only Tomb Raider wins on the 1060 with direct x 12 titles.

I am not an AMD fanboy as I used to own a nvidia 770 but do admit I just bought an RX 470 to replace it. It is about twice as fast as my Nvidia GTX 770 which was a high end mid range card just 2 years ago. 

Both the RX 470 and 480 at the 4 gig base models have more memory for high resolution textures too than the 3 gig 1060. The 6 gig founders edition of the 1060 is over $300 so at this point you pay 1/3 more for the same performance in newer vulcan and directx 12 games. Dues Ex, hitman, and Doom 2016 shine and match the 1060.

9 minutes ago, Crackler said:

Would you guys go RX 470 or GTX 1060?

Sorry didn't click link. Get the 470 as that uses less power at 120 watts

24 minutes ago, sinetheo said:

I am not an AMD fanboy as I used to own a nvidia 770 but do admit I just bought an RX 470 to replace it. It is about twice as fast as my Nvidia GTX 770 which was a high end mid range card just 2 years ago. 

1: The GTX 770 is 3 years old

2: It's not fair to compare ANY 3 year old hardware to a new gen card.

3: Of course the RX 470 is a better card, but the poster is asking GTX 1060 vs RX 470, not GTX 770 vs RX 470. 

Not really sure how you are making a fair comparison here.

The GTX 1060 will probably be slightly better or on par with the RX470...in most games/scenarios.  I think they are priced around the same ... so it is kinda of a coin flip ... I doubt you'd be disappointed with whichever you end up getting.  Both are still very new ... so the stock is still low and I think the prices are a bit high (you know...the whole "new tax").  Both are superior to the RX460 which was within your original budget.

• 5 weeks later...

True there - however, I'm seeing plenty of GTX1060 3GB deals of both the e-tail and local-retail sorts.

I actually found a sub-$200 open-box MSI GTX1060 ARMOR 3GB @ MicroCenter Fairfax; the below-$200 is after (not before) taxes.  (My issue is *timing*; going to LV later this month for the first time in eleven years - though it's a short trip (all of four days), it will be my only vacay of the year; I hope that a similar deal will be available when I get back.)