Audi A9 e-tron

Audi targeting Tesla with range-topping A9 e-tron

Three electric motors and 311 miles of autonomy.

Audi is shifting its EV ambitions into a higher gear – the brand with the four rings has reportedly confirmed the introduction of a brand new electric luxury sedan. Company’s boss Rupert Stadler has explained toAutocar the project has received the green light and will be ready for a market launch by the end of the decade.

Of course, the information currently available is mainly speculations, but the British magazine claims the vehicle will source its powertrain from the upcoming production Q6 e-tron SUV. This means power will be provided by three electric motors, generating more than 400 horsepower (294 kilowatts).

But what’s more important, the vehicle will be able to travel up to 311 miles (500 kilometers) at a single charge – roughly the same distance the recently revealed Tesla Model S P100D can go without recharging.

Tentatively called the A9, the vehicle will be positioned above the A8 limousine in Audi’s portfolio. It will also be the biggest and most luxurious model of the new EV range of the company that will include the aforementioned Q6 electric SUV and a successor to today’s A3 e-tron.

”By 2020 we will have three EVs in the line-up,” Stadler told Autocar. “We’ll start with the production version of the e-tron quattro concept car, which will have a range of up to 311 miles (500 km). By 2025, 25 percent of our line-up will be battery-driven models.”

Aimed at the Tesla Model S, the new big electric saloon will be designed to deliver a unique driving experience thanks to its sophisticated powertrain. “Some rivals have gone for a synchronous motor with a high power density but at relatively low revs,” explained Audi R&D boss Stefan Knirsch. “There are also asynchronous motors that typically achieve similar power outputs but at much higher revs. From 2018, our electric cars will be equipped with asynchronous motors. We are convinced they offer higher efficiency levels than synchronous motors.”

In addition, the model will be the first to feature Audi’s level four autonomous technology, allowing the vehicle “to drive itself in many situations — not only on the motorway,” as Ricky Hudi, head of electric development at the automaker, explains.

Note: Audi Prologue concept pictured.

2014-523014-audi-prologue-concept1.jpg

2014-523004-audi-prologue-concept1.jpg

2014-523000-audi-prologue-concept1.jpg

2014-523008-audi-prologue-concept1.jpg

2014-522994-audi-prologue-concept1.jpg

The front looks quite sexy, but the back is closer to the A1. which I'm not totally fond of. That said, when I first saw the pictures of the A7 I thought it looked weird. After seeing it IRL, it looked very pretty.  Curious to see for what price it would go. 

So rumored to have 400 HP and 311 miles of range? Yeah, no thanks. Plus it's an Audi... Give me the P100D.