GRUB- error: no such partition grub rescue> ; then automatically corrects

Hi,

I have Ubuntu and Windows 7 installed on my system. I was running Windows 7, doing MS Word. Everything was fine. Suddenly, the screen went off, nothing could be controlled. I did a hard shutdown, and when did a power on. I got "GRUB- error: no such partition grub rescue>"

I shut system off, since I did not have the time to fix this. But when I powered on again after 10 minutes, everything was fine. Windows and Linux options were available on grub menu. What happened? Can anyone help with this?

Sounds just like a hiccup. I get that sometimes when I install different distros. Just, it won't load, then I restart, all is well.

I don't have any solid information, but...

Sounds like S.M.A.R.T. triggered a Thermal Shutdown on the drive. It can happen sometimes when they're put offline suddenly by the BIOS/UEFI to allow the drive to cool down. Crappy if you lost your work, but it'll preserve the drive's data and prevent physical damage -- usually.

Run chkdsk -scanonly (I think) at the Advanced Startup -> Command Line to see if there's any corrupted sectors on your next bootup. Everything should be fine, but it never hurts to check. You can initiate this check also by using Settings/Backup and Reset/Advanced Startup and finding the right entry that'll let you reboot into the Advanced Tools (I think ... I don't use Windows so I'm telling you from memory).

Any Windows Power User, please feel free to chime in.