Taking screenshots of video or DVD.

Thanks to slimy for inspiring this guide. :) It's simple really but judging by the amount of people who ask...

Screenshotting Video

how can i take a screenshot of a movie

Video Screen Shot?

screenshot from video

...I think it might be handy to have around. I can just link to this instead of explaining everytime :rolleyes:

^And they're just the ones I replied to :pinch:

The Guide

1. Right-click the desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Hardware acceleration: None

Bypass graphics card

2. Press the print screen key on your keyboard.

Saves the entire desktop as an image to the clipboard.

3. Paste into your favourite graphics editor. Even paint will do.

Now you can see what was saved. From here you can do what you like with it, saving might be a good idea ;)

4. Right-click the desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Hardware acceleration: Full (or whatever it was beforehand)

Return graphics settings back to normal

How Things Work

This is a slightly edited version - only for grammers' sake - of a technical explanation of how this works from a reply Kieran made to one of the previous threads I answered:

The explanation is if you have harware acceleration enabled, all rendering of the movie is done on your graphics card. When you do a screen capture, it gets what is in the screen buffer before it is sent to the graphics card, so that data isnt there yet. If you turn acceleration off, the movie is forced to be rendered by software and is so in the screen buffer before it is sent to the gfx card and hence can be captured.

584640373[/snapback]

Enjoy :)

Thanks to slimy for inspiring this guide. :) It's simple really but judging by the amount of people who ask...

Screenshotting Video

how can i take a screenshot of a movie

Video Screen Shot?

screenshot from video

...I think it might be handy to have around. I can just link to this instead of explaining everytime :rolleyes:

^And they're just the ones I replied to :pinch:

The Guide

How Things Work

This is a slightly edited version - only for grammers' sake - of a technical explanation of how this works from a reply Keiran made to one of the previous threads I answered:

Enjoy :)

585688517[/snapback]

Ummmm.... you mean "grammars" ? Right?

Ummmm.... you mean "grammars" ? Right?

585688531[/snapback]

I'm not sure :s I did think about it a bit when I wrote it but I thought grammers' was right :blink: Wrong?

very cool, always wondered why the hell i can't take screens shots of DVD's LOL

585688745[/snapback]

Oh im sure there are ways :p but yea, good guide lots of people ask me stuff this all the time, thanks

585688895[/snapback]

Cool, thanks. :)

585689007[/snapback]

thanks for this guide (Y)

585689440[/snapback]

Thanks for that guide. I've never  known how to do it, now I do.

585689559[/snapback]

thank u very much! been after this for a while now.

585691143[/snapback]

wvery useful ... thank you :D

585691253[/snapback]

great. that's guide #2 that i suggested, maybe i should get around to doing my own? :p - good work fr3ak

585694071[/snapback]

Thank you all (Y) Happy to help. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

get your digital camera and take pictures when the movie is playing :rofl:

your digital camera can do that job too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
bsplayer and media player classic can take screenshots of video without messing around with any video settings

586146973[/snapback]

I tried bsplayer a while back and it couldn't take a screenshot of a DVD. Havn't tried media player classic.

I turned off hardware acceleration and some progams still can't take screenshots.

• 2 weeks later...