Enable uPnP in Vista

I cannot seem to connect MSN 7.5 to the internet. I have worked it out to be Vista's absence of uPnP.

This would be fine to just enable, but the Add and Remove Windows components option has disappeared.

How should I enable uPnP? :wacko:

I cannot seem to connect MSN 7.5 to the internet. I have worked it out to be Vista's absence of uPnP.

This would be fine to just enable, but the Add and Remove Windows components option has disappeared.

How should I enable uPnP?  :wacko:

586297584[/snapback]

Isn't uPnP a service that can be enabled/disabled? Not sure, but if it is the case, go to Run -> services.msc and check for it there. I doubt uPnP is disabled tho.

nop,

it says the service has already started :( i remember in XP having to add a compontent, is there anyway to get to this in vista?

I can't get msn messenger 7.0 to connect in vista (64bit version) either. I've been using webmessenger for now but even that doesn't seem to work in IE7, I had to use firefox for it.

Vista upnp client is working and turned on by default, perhaps it is the upnp device that has the problem ? make sur eyoure router has upnp enabled, and if it does, give it a reboot.

I cannot use msn either and i cannot access my router either ..

also i cannot connect to web messenger using IE but in firefox i can ...

I can't access my router either through vista. I go to connect but can't get passed the login dialog even though i know the username and password are 100% correct.

Im using speedtouch 510 v4

uPnP is enabled on my router (Netgear DG834G - the Vista machine is connected by a cable) and uPnP works for all the other computers on my network. I have tried rebooting many times and have reconnected and repaired the network connection too.

I can seem to go on normal websites, but i cannot get to the Admin area of my router: 192.168.0.1, in either IE7 or Firefox.

This is all very confusing :blink:

uPnP is enabled on my router (Netgear DG834G - the Vista machine is connected by a cable) and uPnP works for all the other computers on my network. I have tried rebooting many times and have reconnected and repaired the network connection too.

I can seem to go on normal websites, but i cannot get to the Admin area of my router: 192.168.0.1, in either IE7 or Firefox.

This is all very confusing  :blink:

586298197[/snapback]

Same problem, same router. Cannot access my routers administration and MSN Messenger doesn't connect, even though the troubleshooter finds no problems with the connection.

So is everyone whos having this problem using a router (with uPnP enabled?)? I'm using a netgear DG834G router with uPnP enabled and I can't access my router's control panel (it doesn't even bring up the prompt for username and password) or log onto msn and web messenger only works in firefox.

Mine is working fine, azureus & msn messenger both work with upnp. I cannot access the web interface (10.0.0.138), the password dialog pops up but nothing is accepted. All other machines (debian, xp) all work fine.

So is everyone whos having this problem using a router (with uPnP enabled?)? I'm using a netgear DG834G router with uPnP enabled and I can't access my router's control panel (it doesn't even bring up the prompt for username and password) or log onto msn and web messenger only works in firefox.

586298303[/snapback]

ditto

uPnP isn't disabled by default in Vista

I used a security program that disables uPnP b/c its a security threat,

but anywho it came up that it was enabled so I changed it to disabled ;)

btw, disabled and enabled both work for me. It might be your router config

The Windows uPnP service is not required for using the uPnP functions of your router (the router is running its own upnp software). Saying that, i don't think this problem is with uPnP itself.

uPnP is enabled and Vista IS communicating with my router by it, i can see it on the uPnP Portmap table in the router config under a different computer

but normally my router shows up in Wndows and adds an Internet Gateway into Network Connections, it hasn't in vista

Vista also detects a upnp device (my router) on the network after about 10mins. So im assuming the upnp client is installed by default.

586302199[/snapback]

Is there anyway to force Vista to redetect uPnP devices?

Is there anyway to force Vista to redetect uPnP devices?

586302301[/snapback]

Im not sure but I will have a poke around. Usually the popup dialog only shows once for each user or new user after that it can be found under network neighbourhood.

::EDIT

I can login to my router via its telnet interface so it's not my username, password or login restrictions.

Im not sure if its related to upnp now, i disabled it on the router, restarted everything and still cannot login to the web interface.

::EDIT 2

but normally my router shows up in Wndows and adds an Internet Gateway into Network Connections, it hasn't in vista

Mine shows up, however, when i double click on it, the dialog shows then as soon as I move my mouse over the dialog it disapears.

Edited by B3AN

Im not sure but I will have a poke around. Usually the popup dialog only shows once for each user or new user after that it can be found under network neighbourhood.

586302547[/snapback]

:cry: I didn't get a popup, balloon or anything of the such. Only other PCs on my Network are in Network Neighbourghood. (weird eh?)