Annoying Freezing Issue

Finally, a hotfix for the issue via KB2727113, which should be appearing in Windows Update any time now if it hasn't already.

"On a computer that is running Windows 8 Release Preview or Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate, the system may randomly stop responding (hang) when you work on multimedia or communication activities. This problem may occur during video editing, unified communications, or other multimedia activities.

"This problem may occur because of an issue in the interaction between the state-machine driving dynamic tick transitions and the state-machine-driving clock rate changes."

• Like 1

Finally, a hotfix for the issue via KB2727113, which should be appearing in Windows Update any time now if it hasn't already.

"On a computer that is running Windows 8 Release Preview or Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate, the system may randomly stop responding (hang) when you work on multimedia or communication activities. This problem may occur during video editing, unified communications, or other multimedia activities.

"This problem may occur because of an issue in the interaction between the state-machine driving dynamic tick transitions and the state-machine-driving clock rate changes."

So from what I have read if you applied the bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes. You need to undo it with bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no so I'll see if this doesn't freezes up again.

So from what I have read if you applied the bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes. You need to undo it with bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no so I'll see if this doesn't freezes up again.

Well the is system no longer freezing up but Firefox is starting to freezes up.

They won't, their telemetry data isn't showing this bug so they have no clue how widespread it is. Due to the nature of the system never reporting an actual crash, all they see is a bunch of "unexpected" reboots.

Hopefully they monitor popular forums such as these?

Hmm... Worked fine on both my systems. Laptop and Desktop. Are your symptoms the same?

Going by this thread it seems people is having less issues. Although that might be because of different workarounds.

Yeah, exact same freeze even with the update. Now I've got both Hyper-V and the Disable Tick workaround and no crash yet, but from my experience with the CP freezing, I could go a day or more before getting hit with it again.

Yeah, exact same freeze even with the update. Now I've got both Hyper-V and the Disable Tick workaround and no crash yet, but from my experience with the CP freezing, I could go a day or more before getting hit with it again.

I had that problem as well. I reran bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes then restarted. Then ran bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no and restarted. Haven't had the issue since. Worked fine on my desktop without re-enabling/disabling it.

I had that problem as well. I reran bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes then restarted. Then ran bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no and restarted. Haven't had the issue since. Worked fine on my desktop without re-enabling/disabling it.

Huh. That's a curious solution. I'll give it a shot if it stays stable for a couple days like this.

That didn't solved the problem on my MacBook Pro 13" from 2010. Seems that Microsoft haven't fixed the problem entirely :/

You guys are sure you installed the update correct? Look in the update history for

Update for Windows 8 Release Preview for x64-based Systems (KB2727113)

I tried the "bcdedit..." fix without success -- I am not sure I have the same issue. My "freeze" seems to be limited to just Google Chrome. The rest of the system responds normally -- Chrome just won't finish loading. I have www.google.com set as my start page -- it never finishes loading.

I will try the "official" fix later today -- but not sure this is the issue I am having.

[Oops! Just saw that a few other people already posted this. Sorry!]

Microsoft release a fix for this.

1. Open a terminal in administrator mode.

2. type (without the quotes) "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes" and hit return.

3. Reboot your system.

I tried the "bcdedit..." fix without success -- I am not sure I have the same issue. My "freeze" seems to be limited to just Google Chrome. The rest of the system responds normally -- Chrome just won't finish loading. I have www.google.com set as my start page -- it never finishes loading.

I will try the "official" fix later today -- but not sure this is the issue I am having.

I've heard there can be Flash conflicts with Chrome. Check plugins, see if there is more than one entry for flash...

The funny thing is that only Google's websites won't load at start (sometimes, not always). Pin a few tabs with other websites and try it. I'm speaking about Chrome Beta, haven't tried other versions.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the leaked RTM version on my MacBook Pro and I still get random freezes. Now I wonder if this is problem with OS itself or Boot Camp 4.0 drivers having some compatibility issues with Windows 8 :/ (and BTW, this is why there should be a trial version, I don't to find out that OS have some problems on my computer after I bought it)

I installed the leaked RTM version on my MacBook Pro and I still get random freezes. Now I wonder if this is problem with OS itself or Boot Camp 4.0 drivers having some compatibility issues with Windows 8 :/ (and BTW, this is why there should be a trial version, I don't to find out that OS have some problems on my computer after I bought it)

Same here on my MacBook Pro mid2009, freezes are definitely not gone even without installing bootcamp. At this point I believe it has to do with drivers because I remember that Microsoft fixed these problems with an update which is included in the RTM (and If I do remember well it was even released for Release Preview at some point). It's very annoying

I also have Windows 8 on my MacBook Pro and it works wonderfully...when it's not freezing, I managed to get the trackpad etc. working. They seem to happen most often when I'm wandering around metro so I'm tending towards something related to the graphics drivers.

I tried the Hyper-V trick but it didnt work. Now I'm trying the driver downloaded directly from nvidia's website, let's see...

EDIT: Nope, didn't work. I wonder if it has anything to do with overheating? I did run Skyrim under Windows 7 before and it didn't freeze, though :(

This command with cmd run by administrator apparently solved the problem on my macbook pro:

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

give it a try!

This command with cmd run by administrator apparently solved the problem on my macbook pro:

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

give it a try!

Mine's also a mid 2009 MBP, like yours. Wish me luck.