Repair/Salvage an HDD? (100s of Bad Sectors, Data Wiped)

HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda

Problem: 100s of Bad sectors

Data Recovery: Not Needed (Wiped)

Steps Taken: chkdsk (Repeatedly) (Unsuccessful)

Is there a free program that can recover those 100s of bad sectors and salvage this drive? (Windows or Linux)

Don't need to recover any data, as the drive is wiped clean. Just need to reallocate the bad sectors to good ones, even if it ends up just being a 500 GB drive.

I've tried recovering the bad sectors with chkdsk (of course), but it doesn't seem to be finding and/or recovering them all. I've seen some commercial apps that claim to be able to salvage the drive, but if I'm going to spend any money it will be for a new HDD instead of trying to salvage an already unreliable one.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

if you have 100's of bad sectors, your HDD is defective, it might have a faulty read head.

i had one drive that had this issue, but i found out within a few days of purchase and sent it right back.

as you use the drive, it will just get worse, even trying to recover files will cause more bad secotors.

modern HDD's have a sector on the disc that will be used for bad sectors, if you are detecting bad sectors it probably means this section is full.

your only options are to get what you can off of the drive now, and then if it's still under warranty, send it back /RMA it for a replacement.

if you have deleted the data and need to recover it, try Recuva

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

i've had 1 HDD for 3 years and have 3 bad sectors, 100's would indicate there is a defect in the drive. no software will correct it.

He doesn't need to recover anything, papercut.

I'd call that a dead drive, Thomas. If it is still under warranty, RMA it for a replacement. There is nearly no life in that thing.

Thanks. This was my fear, but I needed to have someone tell me it was true before I actually accepted it :)

Luckily, it's old, and I pulled all of the data off long before it really got bad.