Setting up a PPTP VPN

I'm looking to set up a personal VPN to connect with using my Android device and Windows laptop/desktop (using the build-in VPN functionality).

I stumbled upon OpenVPN, but this is only free for a maximum of 2 clients. It works however and has a nice web UI.

But due to this limitation, I am currently looking to set up a VPN using pptpd.

I followed this guide. However, the guide only illustrates how to set up a VPN on a private network (using private IP addresses). In pptpd.conf I have to declare 'remoteip', and since I have a dynamic IP and I'm in various countries often, there is no way I can declare all these IP (ranges).

What is my solution?

I currently have a VPS (4GB RAM, 4 vCPU and 2TB BW) that is dedicated for this purpose with SSH access to it, I only need a properly working VPS that is able to serve multiple hosts.

Thanks for your input or guidance!

Correct me if i am wrong but you should have 

localip 192.168.1.5
remoteip 192.168.1.234-238,192.168.1.245

Where the ?localip? is the address of the server, and the remoteip are the addresses that will be handed out to the clients, it is up to you to adjust these for your network?s requirements.

I managed to set up PPTP, the remoteip range was a private one , so that's solved.

For OpenVPN (which is indeed a much better option) : can this be set up easily on iOS and Android using the build-in VPN functionality? Or do I need to use their iOS and Android app?

You need to setup the app for ios or android devices, app is free - easy to setup.

PPTP has been deprecated for years. It uses 1723 port this is quite often not open outbound from locations. It uses GRE, protocol 47 which again is quite often not open from all locations so quite possible it wont work, etc.

Where openvpn for example can use 443 TCP (https port), which is open pretty much anywhere there is internet.