Question about Tera

Hey guys

I recently started playing Tera Rising again, (Arcadia Server EU, official)

And while playing, I had a thought, <------ dangerous, I know

But I was wondering about all these so called private servers...

I was wondering about these work, Is just setting the game to lop back into 127.0.01 or something?

Sitting here I thought about some theories, in one respect, I could see that it could be possible, as most of the game has to install to your machine locally, but I don't know for fact if this is the case.

Now, I would like to make it clear, I have no interest in playing on a private server, nor am I thinking of modding my game, but I was hoping to have a few questions answered, afterall if you don't ask, you'll never know.

How does it work?

Specifically, is it possible to play the game offline, locally on the host pc it's installed on?

Does one need to have another pc, or server set up for the client pc to connect to?

(Actually, now that I think about it, it might help me understand more about the mechanics of such things, afterall, I knew nothing about 'the internet' until I asked silly questions)

Again, I'm not interested in hacks or mods, just some simplified explanations on how stuff works. :)

(imagine you were explaining the internal combustion to a 9 year old)

At the most simple level you tell the server to tell everyone else what you're doing and the server tells you what everything else is doing, and authenticates all of that.

--

From then on what the server does is really case-by-case. It will authorise your account, certify your requests and log information about your account. It will access some form of database(s). It will try to make some assumptions/predictions on what you're going to do so it appears faster than it is. Dead Reckoning (I believe, actually I doubt it's called that, I'm confusing the game... I forget what it's called) is the term server people use to predict co-ordinates of a player. They can do a lot.

The only problem with Private Servers is they lack population, and that's what is the meat and potatos of MMO's.

Can you host your own Private Server? It's difficult if you don't know exactly what it is their server is doing. The client usually needs some form of patching and the server is entirely emulated (and usually not very well). Some times the source code of a server leaks and you'll get a well functioning server. This is rare. When it does happen usually all subsequent updates to the official server are attempted in the private server files... this usually doesn't work very well. 

At the most simple level you tell the server to tell everyone else what you're doing and the server tells you what everything else is doing, and authenticates all of that.

--

From then on what the server does is really case-by-case. It will authorise your account, certify your requests and log information about your account. It will access some form of database(s). It will try to make some assumptions/predictions on what you're going to do so it appears faster than it is. Dead Reckoning (I believe) is the term server people use to predict co-ordinates of a player. They can do a lot.

The only problem with Private Servers is they lack population, and that's what is the meat and potatos of MMO's.

Can you host your own Private Server? It's difficult if you don't know exactly what it is their server is doing. The client usually needs some form of patching and the server is entirely emulated (and usually not very well). Some times the source code of a server leaks and you'll get a well functioning server. This is rare. When it does happen usually all subsequent updates to the official server are attempted in the private server files... this usually doesn't work very well. 

That's kind of what I was wondering, so one would need a seperate entity for the pc to connect to, (it couldn't be done on the same computer as the game is installed)

Something else, (I should have added this in my OP) what would be the point of these private servers? from what I can tell, they make no money, so to run one as a private citizen seems a little like a money pit to me..

That's kind of what I was wondering, so one would need a seperate entity for the pc to connect to, (it couldn't be done on the same computer as the game is installed)

Something else, (I should have added this in my OP) what would be the point of these private servers? from what I can tell, they make no money, so to run one as a private citizen seems a little like a money pit to me..

People usually run private servers to do the following:

1. Avoid paying a subscription fee (if applicable).
  2. Avoid paying for the game ( :pirate:).
  3. Change mob spawn rates, item spawn rates, XP%, etc.

I suppose it depends on the game and the volume, but they can probably bribe players with items. Of course if you play the game legitimately (if it is a good MMO), you cannot buy your way to success. Most peak in a few months and die from what I have seen. I do not actually play on them, but have checked them out in the past for certain other games.

You can usually run a private server on the same computer the client is running on. It may slow things down and the memory requirements might be high. They can make money, but I question the morality or, more importantly, the legality of it all. Be it from ads or cash shops, they make money.

People usually run private servers to do the following:

1. Avoid paying a subscription fee (if applicable).
  2. Avoid paying for the game ( :pirate:).
  3. Change mob spawn rates, item spawn rates, XP%, etc.

I suppose it depends on the game and the volume, but they can probably bribe players with items. Of course if you play the game legitimately (if it is a good MMO), you cannot buy your way to success. Most peak in a few months and die from what I have seen. I do not actually play on them, but have checked them out in the past for certain other games.

Tera's a free game

and I was asking about the mechanics of how something like that is done, at no time have I said (nor was I thinking about) doing it

You can usually run a private server on the same computer the client is running on. It may slow things down and the memory requirements might be high. They can make money, but I question the morality or, more importantly, the legality of it all. Be it from ads or cash shops, they make money.

The official server, yes, they have a microtransaction system in place, (mounts, pets, outfits etc...) (in one respect, like WoW's) but some random guy with a private server, that's what got me thinking, how could he be making money? He's not subcontracted, nor will any official body touch him for advertisement as his server wouldn't be official.

(wow there's more potholes and mines than I had origionally thought lol)

The official server, yes, they have a microtransaction system in place, (mounts, pets, outfits etc...) (in one respect, like WoW's) but some random guy with a private server, that's what got me thinking, how could he be making money? He's not subcontracted, nor will any official body touch him for advertisement as his server wouldn't be official.

(wow there's more potholes and mines than I had origionally thought lol)

Joe Blow with the Server Files can run the very same Cash Shop through some website that interacts with his database. Much like the official Server. He has access to all the Cash Shop items and can decide which accounts get them based on whatever currency he decides on. The (potentially) legal way around this is to reward a 'donator' by giving (not selling) them 'Donation Points'. They can then in turn 'purchase' items from your store.

This is in some cases a profitable avenue. Some people more than recover the costs of hosting their server and in some cases even make a decent amount of money. But it can all come crashing down at any moment. Also there is no pride in your work, you're essentially stealing some one else's hard work.

I know this, because Tyler knows this.

~snip~

I know this, because Tyler knows this.

I see your point

I won't lie, it's actually made me interested in knowing more now, I'm sure Blizzard, or some other providers would be looking for expansion space, (I'm now looking at my back yard, which used to be parking for a small mechanics garage back in the 70's, and wondering if I could get Virgin Media, or any provider to rent some space from me... :shiftyninja: )

Tera's a free game

and I was asking about the mechanics of how something like that is done, at no time have I said (nor was I thinking about) doing it

I know it is, I have played it. I was stating my reasons for why people run and play on private servers.

I did not say you were thinking of doing it. I could not care less if you did, lol. 

I know it is, I have played it. I was stating my reasons for why people run and play on private servers.

I did not say you were thinking of doing it. I could not care less if you did, lol. 

No I was asking about how that sort of thing works,

in one respect I could say, how would I go about doing it, but as I wasn't interested in actually doing so, I worded carefully.

it's a little like if I was to ask, exactly how, are we talking via this forum topic right now

(I know only that it works, no idea of how)