Samsung Magician

I just installed a Samsung 840 EVO in my laptop tonight and did a fresh Win 8.1pro install.  I followed the magician recommendations for the drive using the performance tab which turns off prefetch and adjusts some tthings. 

Is this generally good enough for the drive in terms of maintainance in the long run or will Windows generally take over?

As long as TRIM is activated you are OK from a maintainance perspective. Just keep about 20? free space to give it some room to wear level.

Samsung's Magician software is awesome. It optimized my drive automatically by changing Windows settings to work best with an SSD. I would always use their software for maintenance.

Samsung's Magician software is awesome. It optimized my drive automatically by changing Windows settings to work best with an SSD. I would always use their software for maintenance.

I am finding it to be quite awesome.   I have installed several SSD's at my work on laptops, and have seen the speed difference which is what made me want to jump into this world on my personal system and take the sacrafice of disk space.   At work, our laptops are encrypted and with a standard HDD, it can take up to 9 hours to do.  With the SSD's no more than 1 hour, often 45 minutes.  It's those types of things which made it more fun to use one. ;)