Slow logon via wifi

Hello, I don't think there anything that can be done but, 

In the office we are running a very small network of window server 2008 currently 3 computers on network.

will in future be set up as WAN to connected the other 4 units when internet speed is updated.

The question is, the computers connected to switch log on in say 20 seconds tops and they are using roaming profiles.

The one that has WiFi as we are unable to get a cable to it takes around 7-10 minutes to log on and the account isn't using roaming. Connection via wifi internally its says its running at 63mb so shouldn't really be to bad theoretically.

Once the computer is logged on its not slower then ones connected via Ethernet at accessing network drives etc its only the log on.

Is there anything that can be edited on said account policy to speed up log on or any suggestion at all?

Many Thanks Renshaw. 

signal strength (speed means very little if the signal strength is weak)...what are your ping times to your local server?  eventlog messages?  Those are a few places to start troubleshooting.  Remember, wired you are probably at a gig, so you have much more bandwidth than your 63mb.

Ping is between 2ms and 1ms.. so that shows poor signal.

also all errors seems to be connected to server timing out when try to connect, I'll post them all as I don't really understand what they are saying, guidance's would be amazing. thanks.

This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain REDCLIFFEHOUSE due to the following:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator. 

Name resolution for the name ComCare220114.redcliffehouse.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

NtpClient was unable to set a domain peer to use as a time source because of discovery error. NtpClient will try again in 3473457 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: The entry is not found. (0x800706E1)

The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has succesfully processed. If you do not see a success message for several hours, then contact your administrator.

Ping is between 2ms and 1ms.. so that shows poor signal.

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

also all errors seems to be connected to server timing out when try to connect, I'll post them all as I don't really understand what they are saying, guidance's would be amazing. thanks.

Ive had this error on wired too.

It sounds like a DNS problem but other than that, I cant help you much further, sorry.

On DNS if I set the computer to look at the servers IP or the router internet and network access still happens?
Although if I tell it to use the gateway as the server it losers internet access. Not sure if this is at all relevant but thought I'd share.

I'll slightly modify the set up once's it been resolved, so don't mind it being public ;)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ComCare220114
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : redcliffehouse.com
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : redcliffehouse.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-FE-ED-F6-92-1F
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e0fe:eeaa:9653:4f2%13(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.111(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.254
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 336658157
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-71-B7-55-1C-C1-DE-5D-3F-C

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.15
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-C1-DE-5D-3F-C4

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{96BE5E90-1A05-408E-B72F-548A3A93B6CC}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

It is absolutely dns related which is why I asked for an IPconfig/all, I need to verify the internal ad servers are the only dns in there and if they are I will need to further troubleshoot the AD dns servers.  Baby steps....

do what I asked please, I want the info of an ipconfig/all within a command or cmd window.  This will help me recommend you the next course of action.

do a nslookup of redcliffhouse.com

It is not recommended to use a .com as your internal domain name. 

do the following:

nslookup redcliffhouse.com

nslookup 192.168.20.15

ping 192.168.20.15

Please post results.

Also how is your wireless security setup?  WPA2 radius, WPA2 PSK, open?

Should DNS be coming from server or router? As no matter which IP I use its still get some form of connection.

iqkkkl.png

Should DNS be coming from server or router? As no matter which IP I use its still get some form of connection.

iqkkkl.png

If Ive learned something from here, its this: The DNS should always be resolved thru the server.

BTW, the "redcliffehouse.com" can definitately be problematic.

DNS should not be coming from the router.  AD servers only!!!!!!!

Generally the router only has external dns servers, external dns servers do not know how to resolve on your inside names.  Your internal Domain is inside, not outside.  You query the external DNS and you will get exactly what you are seeing in your event logs, it doesn't know how to get back to your inside or resolve your inside computer names. AD servers understand your inside domain and anything else to go to an external DNS to query against that.

Basically

computer > external dns  query for internal address > I don't know what that computer is

computer > internal dns server query for internal address > ok I know what that is here is the named internal ip address

computer > external dns query for www.google.com > ok I know what that is, here is the named external ip address

computer > internal dns server query for www.google.com > I don't know what that computer is, let me send this request on to a external dns server for you > external dns query for www.google.com > ok i know what that is, here is the named external ip address.

The bolded is the way it needs to work in an AD domain.

That makes perfect sense now you've explained.

So everything is looking at the server for DNS, Server is looking at it self for DNS if that is correct?

Yes it is a .com, that is his internal name though...not at all recommended to do, but that is the cards we have been dealt with.  The internal dns name is a much larger problem that should to be rectified. The issue at hand is that his computers are not communicating to the internal dns server for internal requests which is a much easier fix than renaming his internal domain, which requires a strategy and proper planning.

Okays just logged on and off and now only error that are being shown are theses two (on a wired computer this is)

The server {995C996E-D918-4A8C-A302-45719A6F4EA7} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\redcliffehouse.com\SysVol\redcliffehouse.com\Policies\{A0310E24-9C44-4BD5-AC91-69C66662A07E}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following: 

a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller. 
b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller). 
c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

Computer with Wifi is now only getting one error. All DNS ones have now gone :)

The Group Policy Client Side Extension Folder Redirection was unable to apply one or more settings because the changes must be processed before system startup or user logon. The system will wait for Group Policy processing to finish completely before the next startup or logon for this user, and this may result in slow startup and boot performance.

make sure your computers are fully patched for the DCOM issue. 

Do a complete shutdown and start up to see if the group policy issue goes away. 

Also how are your logon times?  Are they still slow?

Well I was going help with this thread - but sc302 has it well in hand and given you spot on advice as always.

I will point out that your node type is odd.. Are you sure you want mixed -- this will do broadcast first then would go ask your wins (if set)

This is could generate extra broadcast traffic.

make sure your computers are fully patched for the DCOM issue. 

Do a complete shutdown and start up to see if the group policy issue goes away. 

Also how are your logon times?  Are they still slow?

Is dcom patch sent through windows updates? if so then yes.

I will point out that your node type is odd.. Are you sure you want mixed -- this will do broadcast first then would go ask your wins (if set)

This is could generate extra broadcast traffic.

I think its just set by default to mixed. Where would this be changed? is this set by the router?

No mixed is not default that is for sure, only way that could be set is setting of dhcpnodetype handed out via your dhcp server or set on the box directly.  Default would normally be hybrid which does wins first then broadcast.

Option 46 in dhcp could set this

NetBIOS Node Type (46): The NetBIOS node type option allows NetBIOS over TCP/IP clients that are configurable to be configured as described in RFC 1001/1002. The value is specified as a single octet that identifies the client type as follows:

Value Node Type
----- ---------
0x1 B-node
0x2 P-node
0x4 M-node
0x8 H-node

I believe you can over ride it with set in this reg key on the box
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Netbt\Parameters for DHCPNodeType

Normally this is empty, and I am 99.999 % sure default is hybrid if dhcp server hands out no option 46.  You might see unknown for node type - but the default behavior would be same as hybrid I am fairly sure.  Mixed your broadcasting before asking wins.. Do you have wins running even?

I run b-node on my home network because I don't run any wins.  And its only a handful of machine, and even then I have multiple segments - wireless are on their own segment so they are not seeing broadcasts from wired machines, etc.  But in a bridged wireless/wired setup all the broadcasts would be going over your wireless - and if your having lots of them, that can hurt your wireless performance.

Okays, the router was and server was set up by an outside IT company and there plan is to extend to a WAN network over multiple base, could this be why they set it like it? Or have they fully over looked this as well as other points you lot are helping me resolve. Router is Draytek Vigor 2820

reboot no errors accept one for profile loading, whats simple to fix just probably means folders in wrong location or accounts looking in wrong place :)

You would only setup mixed if you wanted to broadcast first because you resolve a lot of netbios on your local network first before say asking a wins server across the wan, etc.  No reason to ask wins for box that is on my local segment if that wins is over a slow wan link, etc..

Keep in mind this would be after a host file / dns lookup - netbios is after those in a normal lookup for host name/fqdn

So if your looking for say host, normally your client would look to its cache, then host file, dns where it would add its local domain suffix so it would query host.redcliffe.com (whatever your name was) only then it would go to broadcast or wins..  But it would generate like 3 broadcasts for the host name, etc.

So while the different node types make sense for different networks, generally if your running wins you would use hybrid mode -- this asks wins server, if he says I don't know then the client would broadcast.  If you don't want that broadcast to happen then you would use p-node

reboot no errors accept one for profile loading, whats simple to fix just probably means folders in wrong location or accounts looking in wrong place :)

Excellent!!!!  Hybrid is default to confirm that .001% :p

You never answered, how are your boot up times?

Excellent!!!!  Hybrid is default to confirm that .001% :p

You never answered, how are your boot up times?

Boot time has improved hell of a allot, about same as the wired computers. I think its only dragging now because of profile loading then failing. i think I'll just change it to standard profile and tell it to look for its doc folder on the server as will be easier. 

You would only setup mixed if you wanted to broadcast first because you resolve a lot of netbios on your local network first before say asking a wins server across the wan, etc.  No reason to ask wins for box that is on my local segment if that wins is over a slow wan link, etc..

Keep in mind this would be after a host file / dns lookup - netbios is after those in a normal lookup for host name/fqdn

So if your looking for say host, normally your client would look to its cache, then host file, dns where it would add its local domain suffix so it would query host.redcliffe.com (whatever your name was) only then it would go to broadcast or wins..  But it would generate like 3 broadcasts for the host name, etc.

So while the different node types make sense for different networks, generally if your running wins you would use hybrid mode -- this asks wins server, if he says I don't know then the client would broadcast.  If you don't want that broadcast to happen then you would use p-node

I see your point, I'll phone the IT company and ask why they have set it like that and then quote what you've said! :p

I'll tell you there reply. ( We have a contract with them and they set there "own" passwords on certain bits of hardware i.e. router which I'm going to default/reset it soon lol)

No mixed is not default that is for sure, only way that could be set is setting of dhcpnodetype handed out via your dhcp server or set on the box directly.  Default would normally be hybrid which does wins first then broadcast.

Option 46 in dhcp could set this

NetBIOS Node Type (46): The NetBIOS node type option allows NetBIOS over TCP/IP clients that are configurable to be configured as described in RFC 1001/1002. The value is specified as a single octet that identifies the client type as follows:

Value Node Type

----- ---------

0x1 B-node

0x2 P-node

0x4 M-node

0x8 H-node

I believe you can over ride it with set in this reg key on the box
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Netbt\Parameters for DHCPNodeType

Normally this is empty, and I am 99.999 % sure default is hybrid if dhcp server hands out no option 46.  You might see unknown for node type - but the default behavior would be same as hybrid I am fairly sure.  Mixed your broadcasting before asking wins.. Do you have wins running even?

I run b-node on my home network because I don't run any wins.  And its only a handful of machine, and even then I have multiple segments - wireless are on their own segment so they are not seeing broadcasts from wired machines, etc.  But in a bridged wireless/wired setup all the broadcasts would be going over your wireless - and if your having lots of them, that can hurt your wireless performance.

Value is set to = 8  ?

On futher inspection this is set on the computer that is wired I'll change this setting to hybrid on the computer on Wifi :) Thanks again