SSD Drive question.

I've seen on here people that have Windows installed on a dedicated SSD drive.  What benefit does this offer? As copying regular files everywhere else would still be slower,  right?  

Also putting an SSD in, they don't right?  You could literally lay it inside the case and it would work fine, correct?  I'm not too sure how they work. I've seen a picture where someone just laid it in the HD cage, not screwed it and they said it was perfect.  

I've seen on here people that have Windows installed on a dedicated SSD drive.  What benefit does this offer? As copying regular files everywhere else would still be slower,  right?  

Also putting an SSD in, they don't right?  You could literally lay it inside the case and it would work fine, correct?  I'm not too sure how they work. I've seen a picture where someone just laid it in the HD cage, not screwed it and they said it was perfect.  

From my experience, windows runs snappier, apps open quicker, boot times are faster and app processing that require fast HD writes (lightroom for me) also improves.

You can have the SSD laying around the computer case, probably not the best solution. IIRC there are some boxed SSDs that come with 3.5 insert.

the point is to have windows load as fast as possible and to have the applications load as fast as possible.  After all it isn't the 20k files that load slow, it is everything that requires a load of dlls and exes to get up and running.  Put your saves on your mechanical drive and your apps/os on your ssd.  You can purchase a 2.5 to 3.5 caddy/insert for around $5 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00G57BN1M/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1406651143&sr=8-1&keywords=2.5+to+3.5+adapter&condition=new

Surprised no one mentioned that there are no moving parts in the SSD, operation is silent, unlike platter HDDs. Mine sits behind my motherboard plate. I doesn't need to be secured like other drives.

• Like 2

Once you go SSD using a mechanical hard drive feels slow as ######.

Well only think platter drives are good for is storage nowdays.

Just helped someone move their old files from their old computer files to their new HP All in one win 8 machine running on a i5 with a mechanical drive. It was painful (all my systems have SSD's) ... I was like.. "Oh for the love of god hurry the hell up!!!)

• Like 1

And those days are numbered.  A 512GB SSD is around $200 nowadays.  It's progressing quickly!

Just helped someone move their old files from their old computer files to their new HP All in one win 8 machine running on a i5 with a mechanical drive. It was painful (all my systems have SSD's) ... I was like.. "Oh for the love of god hurry the hell up!!!)

LMAO..

That's how I felt about the dialup internet on friend's PC while back.

Now they all got high speed internet.. I don't have to worry about that anymore.

And those days are numbered.  A 512GB SSD is around $200 nowadays.  It's progressing quickly!

And yet you can get around 4 1TB platter disks for that price.

the point is to have windows load as fast as possible and to have the applications load as fast as possible.  After all it isn't the 20k files that load slow, it is everything that requires a load of dlls and exes to get up and running.  Put your saves on your mechanical drive and your apps/os on your ssd.  You can purchase a 2.5 to 3.5 caddy/insert for around $5 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00G57BN1M/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1406651143&sr=8-1&keywords=2.5+to+3.5+adapter&condition=new

So put save files on the regular drive, but like games and applications on the SSD?  That makes sense.  I have a spare 500 gig drive I put in my current computer, but for some reason I couldn't fit the screws in it while it was in the cage.   So I ended up putting it on the very button and it takes a bit for it to wiggle so i assume it shall be ok.  I am curious about the SSD since there is nothing moving.  

So put save files on the regular drive, but like games and applications on the SSD?  That makes sense.  I have a spare 500 gig drive I put in my current computer, but for some reason I couldn't fit the screws in it while it was in the cage.   So I ended up putting it on the very button and it takes a bit for it to wiggle so i assume it shall be ok.  I am curious about the SSD since there is nothing moving.  

bingo, movies and mp3's can also go on the mechanical drive. 

I had an old Lian Li case that i used for a LONG time. It didnt have any native support for 2.5" SSDs. When i got my first SSD circa 2009, i simply attached 2 strips of velco tape to it and secured it in my case that way. worked fine.

I had an old Lian Li case that i used for a LONG time. It didnt have any native support for 2.5" SSDs. When i got my first SSD circa 2009, i simply attached 2 strips of velco tape to it and secured it in my case that way. worked fine.

[applause]

Good job, redneck! 

^5

hahah.

[applause]

Good job, redneck! 

^5

hahah.

Depends on how old that Lian-Li case is.

If it's older than 2004 (the age of my own Lian-Li), unless you're actually using the floppy bay, an SSD can go there - if anything, it will STILL be too small unless you have an adapter for 3.5" bays, as that size is that of a typical floppy drive.  (That is one thing most "desktop" SSD packages usually include - an adapter for 3.5" floppy bays.)

Depends on how old that Lian-Li case is.

If it's older than 2004 (the age of my own Lian-Li), unless you're actually using the floppy bay, an SSD can go there - if anything, it will STILL be too small unless you have an adapter for 3.5" bays, as that size is that of a typical floppy drive.  (That is one thing most "desktop" SSD packages usually include - an adapter for 3.5" floppy bays.)

I know that..

I was saying good job and high five that person because he used the velcro strips.   That's what the rednecks do these days such as duct tape, velcro strips, etc.

A friend of mine built tripod mount for his phone that is made of wood....  he is redneck.   Save money. Instead of buying from the store.

• Like 1