USB Device Not Recognized

Might i suggest you boot a live linux cd/usb and see if the problem happens. if it happens, then you have a hardware issue, but if you have no issue then it may be something with windows itself or a bios setting. You could also check Asus's support page and see if it lists this kind of issue for your mobo.

Windows install has nothing to do with manufacturer's motherboard Chipset drivers.

nor should the lack of chipset provoke this error; actually Hawkman suggested installing the lasted chipset drivers, not sure if OP did that.

nor should the lack of chipset provoke this error; actually Hawkman suggested installing the lasted chipset drivers, not sure if OP did that.

The latest drivers have been installed for everything.

Do you have one of those Card readers plugged in ?

Try disconnecting it.

Reinstall your chipset drivers.

Look for a Chipset update on Asus support for your motherboard.

Do not have any Card Readers. And i have the latest chip set. This problem just happened suddenly while I was playing a game.

I had a problem similar to this 2 days ago. It turned out to be in the BIOS settings. Try devices in another computer to see if they work.

I hope it is to do with my BIOS. My options as it stands is to call ASUS first thing. I did not register my board within 30 days so they can not RMA but i have requested one from the place i purchased it online Aria PC.

Guess tomorrow really is D-Day. I am still trying all suggestions and just can not get rid of this error.

I did not register my board within 30 days so they can not RMA but i have requested one from the place i purchased it online Aria PC.

It's OK; i have an ASUS laptop that went bad in the first 6 months and ASUS replaced it, although they took some time; i didn't even register in the first 30 days as well.

Nobody has mentioned one of the most useful diagnostic tools in Windows: Event Viewer, it logs hardware/software problems and where they occurred. It helped me narrow down a faulty HDD control board as I kept getting bad blocks, Event Viewer kept mentioning a "controller error on HDD0". I use it every day being a server admin.

Check all areas of Event Viewer for any Warnings or Errors. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, and look at the bottom, you'll see Hardware Events under Log Summary, or you can use the sidebar, explore all the categories, see if anything springs up, explore it, get to know it, it is your best friend :)

On older boards around the Core 2 era it was due to Northbridge/Southbridge faults, but you'd notice other stuff dropping off, even on modern boards with a lot of the stuff on the CPU with tech like QuickPath Interconnect i.e the memory controller. Fuses and resistors on the USB bus on the board itself could even be at fault, any fluctuations in voltage or resistance can cause data errors.

In my  experience, if it shows up as unknown device in the device manager it's is a driver issue, but if the balloon says "USB device not recolonized, that's ways some sort of malfunction.

Nobody has mentioned one of the most useful diagnostic tools in Windows: Event Viewer, it logs hardware/software problems and where they occurred. It helped me narrow down a faulty HDD control board as I kept getting bad blocks, Event Viewer kept mentioning a "controller error on HDD0". I use it every day being a server admin.

Check all areas of Event Viewer for any Warnings or Errors. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, and look at the bottom, you'll see Hardware Events under Log Summary, or you can use the sidebar, explore all the categories, see if anything springs up, explore it, get to know it, it is your best friend :)

On older boards around the Core 2 era it was due to Northbridge/Southbridge faults, but you'd notice other stuff dropping off, even on modern boards with a lot of the stuff on the CPU with tech like QuickPath Interconnect i.e the memory controller. Fuses and resistors on the USB bus on the board itself could even be at fault, any fluctuations in voltage or resistance can cause data errors.

i didn't even mention it but it will be logged on the event viewer as an error in USB; i doubt it will help if it is an hardware error as it will be hundreds if not thousands of usb errors logs in there, all the same.

there is one more thing OP can do and is to see if there is phatom USB devices in the device manager: run a CMD prompt as administrator and then do the following command: 

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

then do the next command, also in CMD prompt:

devmgmt.msc

in the device manager choose View and then activate the Show Hidden Devices; if there is phantom devices they should be there; you can just remove them. See the followin KB article for this issue (it's for Windows 2000 but it's still very actual): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241257

I have just woke up after running some more updates straight from the ASUS site before i went to bed and the unknown device has gone :/

I have plugged all my usb's back in and the error is still not present.

I am going to get the PC back up and running through AI Suite which clocks my system for me from 3.4-4.2.

Maybe this is a power issue?? We shall see.

Fingers crossed nothing has appeared yet.

Surely this rules out Hardware fault right guys?

If the fault returns i will give this Event Viewer a shot. Thanks.

i didn't even mention it but it will be logged on the event viewer as an error in USB; i doubt it will help if it is an hardware error as it will be hundreds if not thousands of usb errors logs in there, all the same.

there is one more thing OP can do and is to see if there is phatom USB devices in the device manager: run a CMD prompt as administrator and then do the following command: 

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

then do the next command, also in CMD prompt:

devmgmt.msc

in the device manager choose View and then activate the Show Hidden Devices; if there is phantom devices they should be there; you can just remove them. See the followin KB article for this issue (it's for Windows 2000 but it's still very actual): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241257

I have run the bottom command already. As for hidden devices.. i did have some they showed up but causing no problems. They were not in the USB section though.

One thing that happened last night that was weird and i should mention is that all of a sudden all my windows would fade in/out even when shutting down the computer.. That seems to have gone now too.

Maybe its just me but i feel certain windows are taking slightly longer to open.... puzzling.

I captured my problem here on Youtube. Yes it came back and i am waiting for ASUS to get back to me via the technical form i had to fill in.  In the meantime take a look at this and tell me what you think. I am not plugging anything at all when this happens.

It doesnt have firewire on it does it??? Because I know some people have plugged a firewire front panel connection cable into a USB  header, and you'll get / see the same thing

I wouldnt be surprised if Kaspersky is screwing things up too. Its known to block devices, especially webcams

It doesnt have firewire on it does it??? Because I know some people have plugged a firewire front panel connection cable into a USB  header, and you'll get / see the same thing

I wouldnt be surprised if Kaspersky is screwing things up too. Its known to block devices, especially webcams

It has a front firewire port yeah with 2 x USB 3.0. I get these errors without any USB's plugged in John.

But whats the firewire front panel plugged into on the inside?? You will get this error if its plugged into a USB header (if it's not plugged into the firewire header on the mobo, if it's got firewire onboard)

And you can also fry the header or port if you plug a firewire cable into a USB 2 header, on the mobo. Since both have 9 pin headers

But whats the firewire front panel plugged into on the inside?? You will get this error if its plugged into a USB header (if it's not plugged into the firewire header on the mobo, if it's got firewire onboard)

And you can also fry the header or port if you plug a firewire cable into a USB 2 header, on the mobo. Since both have 9 pin headers

I have unplugged the firewire completely and the errors have stopped.... well i think its the firewire.. labelled 1394. You might just be my saviour John. And it was indeed plugged into a USB header. 

You are an absolute Legend my friend. If you live near me ill buy you a pint :P Me on the other hand is a numpty!!

Excellent! you have to be with firewire and USB headers. SInce as above both have 9 pin headers. Correct firewire is 1394

My MB dont support it hahaha. Ah well. Again you LEGEND!

good catch, i didn't even remember firewire because today it's not that common to have a mainboard with it...

Same here Prae. Even tho Lee's didnt have it anyway lol. They're not that cheap here. I did have firewire (a PCI card), but have removed it for now. Only really used it for the DV cam I've got here that's got firewire on it. (for transferring the recorded video)

But since then I've purchased a HX-DC2 Full HD cam which uses a SD card for recording. Which makes things a lot easier. I can just chuck it in the card reader to copy the video / pics now