Image size reduction

Question

I have a scanned image (JPG) whoose size is 21 MB.

I want to save it  with size 5 MB.

Is there any software which can help reducing  image size  by inputting my desired size ?

Please help.

13 answers to this question

I already have Paint.net ...but there I can not specify desired size 5 MB

paint.net can do that...

I have done that all the time...

Resize the image in percent mode... not pixel..

while you are resizing the file, you will see the new file size result..

• Like 1

Photoshop is usually the easiest. You can also insert the image into a PowerPoint slide then export the slide as a jpg. I believe that shrinks the size greatly.

Photoshop is usually the easiest. You can also insert the image into a PowerPoint slide then export the slide as a jpg. I believe that shrinks the size greatly.

I can not download photoshop.

please suggest  a FREE lightweight app which can do this.

I wont do it on a ppt.  I need image

I already have Paint.net ...but there I can not specify desired size 5 MB

Of course not. Wanting to do such a thing is not exactly a common usage scenario for an image editor. You can reduce the filesize of the image by using a lossy image format (of which jpg already is a good one), and further by reducing image dimensions and or quality.

The dimensions (width, height) of your image are probably far larger than you require. In paint.net go to the 'Image' menu and select 'resize'. You can alter the dimensions of the image here, and note that it conveniently gives an estimate of the new filesize at the top. Once satisfied, save the changes (perhaps to a new file, to keep the original as a backup incase you make a mistake). When saving, it'll give you a window that allows you to change the level of quality, though I'd recommend that you leave this to the default. You'll easily achieve the reduced filesize by reducing the dimensions.

One further thing you could also/alternatively try is to put it into a compressed archive file (a "zip" files as they are commonly known, after a particular very common format named "zip").

FILEminimizer Pictures - It has Free version as well, I use this to compress the file sizes:

- http://www.balesio.com/fileminimizerpictures/eng/index.php

I don't know whether you can achieve specific file size level but surely it would reduce image file size for you.

ADjkG1t.png

paint.net can do that...

I have done that all the time...

Resize the image in percent mode... not pixel..

while you are resizing the file, you will see the new file size result..

THIS.. I love paint.net 

Curious - why did you want this?

Drawing a blank when I would need to do such a thing? Other than say I wanted to fit one more picture on something and there was only 5MB left. But why wouldn't you just resize it to whatever dimensions needed to fit?

Could you explain your use case to needing to resize to specific file size vs dimension or quality and not really caring for the file size.. Out of curiosity as well, what was the media info on the 21MB jpeg vs the 5MB one.. Mediainfo is great tool for such stuff http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

example - I looked for largest jpg on my machine

General

Complete name : D:\photocd\10.jpg

Format : JPEG

File size : 6.50 MiB

Width : 5 472 pixels

Height : 3 648 pixels

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:4:4

Bit depth : 8 bits

Compression mode : Lossy

Stream size : 6.50 MiB (100%)

This was from prof photo shoot of my GD, this was the picture on the CD - look at the size in pixels.. Curious to the size of where 21MB file would come from and why not just convert to new pixel size you would use and let it be smaller.. So for example took that picture and resized it to 1024 to put in digital picture frame..

eneral

Complete name : D:\photocd\10 (1024x683).jpg

File size : 258 KiB

Width : 1 024 pixels

Height : 683 pixels

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Compression mode : Lossy

Stream size : 258 KiB (100%)