OneDrive constant 50% disk activity, no network activity?

Question

Hi guys!

I was taking a quick look at the Task Manager and then I notice this odd behavior of OneDrive Sync Engine post-514123-0-03364900-1412950388.png

The OneDrive Sync engine is using 50% of the harddrive I/O..  it's not syncing anything, network activitiy is zero, and I don't even have more than a few Megabytes on my OneDrive account. 

It's been like this for hours, at least. No change, just constant high disk activity by OneDrive, no network activity at all and they OneDrive account itself is almost completely empty, what is this app doing?

What is going on? I am stumped. 

-- -- 

I'm running Windows 8.1 with all current updates on a 3.5" 7200rpm HDD and AMD FX8350 CPU.

7 answers to this question

^How does this help the problem, maybe he does not want it off, but wants the IO resource usage to go back to normal? And that article sounds stupid just from reading the clip above "Windows 8.1 PC is automatically storing their PCs in the cloud", how exactly is it storing a physical PC in a virtual environment.... garbage article :/

• Like 2

Stolen from an article online. Check the source for how to switch if off.

When Microsoft first added SkyDrive syncing it expected most users to love it. It expected them to want to offload their files and settings to its servers and have them automatically sync between Windows PCs. It expected that users would want to have access to their files anywhere and everywhere they possible could.

While the company may have been right, not all users are ready for cloud syncing and the troubles it sometimes causes. In fact, a vocal number of users don?t appreciate that their Windows 8.1 PC is automatically storing their PCs in the cloud ? even though doing so makes it easier for them to move between different PCs at any given time.

Source

^How does this help the problem, maybe he does not want it off, but wants the IO resource usage to go back to normal? And that article sounds stupid just from reading the clip above "Windows 8.1 PC is automatically storing their PCs in the cloud", how exactly is it storing a physical PC in a virtual environment.... garbage article :/

His problem is the constant syncing, The reason it's there is because of the feature that's in Windows that syncs files and settings to the OneDrive. The article explains how to switch it off. 

Windows 8 gives you the ability to log onto another PC with Windows 8 and have the same desktop/settings/files presented to you, that's the syncing that he's probably seeing. It could be another reason but there's also a chance that it's this. 

His problem is the constant syncing, The reason it's there is because of the feature that's in Windows that syncs files and settings to the OneDrive. The article explains how to switch it off. 

Windows 8 gives you the ability to log onto another PC with Windows 8 and have the same desktop/settings/files presented to you, that's the syncing that he's probably seeing. It could be another reason but there's also a chance that it's this. 

Well, if there is zero network acticity, nothing being uploaded or downloaded (see my screenshot) then it isn't syncing to the "cloud". It isn't syncing to anything then, just thrashing the harddrive.

xenodrome hits the nail on the head, here above, that I'd like the I/O resource usage to go back to normal.

If there was any network activity connected to this behavior, then I wouldn't be half as confused about this. 

The computer has been running for days now, no change in this behavior, the OneDrive Sync Engine process constantly eating up 50% of harddrive resources - I tried to kill the the process, and for a few minutes it stayed dead, but then restarted itself and continued churning at the same pace as before. 

Might be worth going to this link and attempting the fix to see if it's a permissions issue.  Either way it should clear and restart the whole process so hopefully it'll resolve your problem too.

I cloned the hard drive to another identical one, disconnected the old one, used that too boot up and the problem has disappeared. 

It seems this was an issue with the old hard drive itself.. I can't imagine what exactly, though at the moment I'm having problems mounting the old hard drive. Perhaps it is dying on me. This is just something I never intuitively connected to a mechanical fault, because it seemed isolated to just one app, one service, bug may have been an indication that the hard drive wasn't functioning properly. Thanks for the advice everyone :)