can't get .NET 3.5 to install on Windows 8.1

Question

I have an app that needs .NET 2.0 which is included in .NET 3.5.

I tried using the "add or remove features" function in Windows to add 3.5 but it failed.

After some searching I found the following command which is supposed to install it off the Windows DVD: Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

when I run the command I get this error: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Enabling feature(s)
[===========================66.5%======                    ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dism.log is attached.

Can anyone help me get this installed?  I have an app that requires it that I need to run and it's getting pretty frustrating having nothing work.

Thanks!

dism.txt

6 answers to this question

It's the most annoying thing that affected me recently. I did a bit of searching online and found this, which worked for me:

Uninstall  KB2966826 and KB2966828, then try installing 3.5 from programs and features.

This is the source: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/201700-cant-install-net-framework-35-on-a-windows-81-computer/

It's the most annoying thing that affected me recently. I did a bit of searching online and found this, which worked for me:

Uninstall  KB2966826 and KB2966828, then try installing 3.5 from programs and features.

This is the source: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/201700-cant-install-net-framework-35-on-a-windows-81-computer/

Had this issue on a few machines at work, removing them updates (some machines only had one of them) fixed the problem and allowed me to install .Net Framework 3.5 using the DISM command.

I also found that the reason the Add & Remove Features option doesn't work for me is because we are on a domain, take the PC OFF the domain and install, then it works fine. From what I can see it tries to get the install packages from the WSUS server, which of course fails.