CHKDSK /F

Having an issue running chkdsk /f on Windows 7 systems....

I am running via a command prompt.  I select Y to run on a reboot but chkdsk never runs.  Just boots Windows.  Happens on any desktops or laptops.

Ideas?  Solutions?

Thanks!

Have you got admin rights on the machine in question (not sure what the security policy is like where you're at, but might be worth checking that).

Failing that, a quick google threw up this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-disk-will-not-run-at-startup

Admin rights, of course.  And I saw that link but people were reporting that their PC wont boot after

ah, maybe skip that one then. It's a hangover day so I only skimmed a bit mate :)

Try my computer --> right click on c: drive --> tools --> error checking-->(tick the boxes)--> hit start

Having an issue running chkdsk /f on Windows 7 systems....

I am running via a command prompt.  I select Y to run on a reboot but chkdsk never runs.  Just boots Windows.  Happens on any desktops or laptops.

Ideas?  Solutions?

Thanks!

I've seen that too on a bunch of systems. But when I try it a second time it usually scans.

ah, maybe skip that one then. It's a hangover day so I only skimmed a bit mate :)

Try my computer --> right click on c: drive --> tools --> error checking-->(tick the boxes)--> hit start

Was going to try that with a remote user but needed admin rights.  I can run CMD as an admin but not sure what I need to do to run the error checking as an admin.  The setup for this user is weird so I cannot remote/logon as an admin to him machine but can runas an admin.  Ideally, I need to be able to run chkdsk and have it work.

I've seen that too on a bunch of systems. But when I try it a second time it usually scans.

Ive tried it several.  Always skips.

THis might be a long shot, but have you tried completely shutting down the PC then powering on again?

It could be a BIOS or quick boot setting that makes it skip that part of the startup process?

(Again, probably a long shot as I would think that Windows would run it anyway just before the Welcome Screen.)

This usually happens if you are running a home premium or home basic version of Windows 7. The way around this is to boot to the recovery by pressing f8 at startup and doing the check disk from the command prompt found there instead. That way if you do get errors you can see if they were fixed or if you have bad sectors.

Actually, i have found this issue on newer machines with new bios (UEFI), where UEFI boots, and uses C as the OS drive, and assigns the C drive of the actuall OS as maybe d or e, etc.

My laptop with windows 8 does this all the time.

The only way to run chkdsk is to do it like someone mentioned it before, go into the ultilities while pressing F8, and run chkdsk from there.

Download a copy of Hiren's BootCD and burn the ISO to a pendrive, there used to be a mini Windows environment built in, I found CHKDSK on reboot to be a pain when using GRUB with Linux, using Hirens works each time, just make sure you verify the drive letter your drive is given.