New PC build -- no speaker

My new Cooler Master case has no internal speaker.

I will not hear post code errors.

Should I be worried ?

Should I not start up the new computer until I get a speaker .... ?

Thanks.

Speaker isn't that important, really. Just get one off ebay...

If you have a problem, you'll know before you get the beep. The more advanced boards have a little code reader on them.

Like this:

board_southbridge.jpg

I thought recent boards played beeps through the onboard audio circuitry? Or was that just the usual gimmicky feature just like instant-ready splashtop linux or spoken error messages nobody cared about?

Technically you could hook up a voltmeter to the two probes to see the circuit complete for a beep.

or...run one wire to the ground and one to your tongue.

The last one is a joke, please don't do that...but thinking about it I think that actually would work :)

There's no danger in not being able to hear the codes, so there's no reason not to attempt to start it without a speaker connected.

It's best to have only the CPU, CPU fan, memory, video card (if needed), and the two power supply cables connected at first. If it doesn't turn on or doesn't give video, then there is a really small number of things to check. No beep codes needed.

Many desktop PC logic boards also have an on-board piezo buzzer (the round part with a + on it below) for POST error alerts, etc.:

27.jpg

Yeah I saw those on Amazon.com -- $3.69.  I suspect it ships drectly from China and will take 3 weeks tho.

Many desktop PC logic boards also have an on-board piezo buzzer (the round part with a + on it below) for POST error alerts, etc.:

I don't see any piezo on the Asus Sabertooth 990FX -- but there are pins to hook up a case speaker.

There might possibly be a hidden buzzer in the top input section of the case -- but there is no wiring to hook to the motherboard.

Hey these look pretty cool:

PC Motherboard Diagnostic Card

http://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-Diagnostic-Card-4-Digit-Analyzer/dp/B00FH7YONA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418462437&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=motherboard+post+code+reader

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R2.0/E8042_SABERTOOTH_990FX_R2.pdf

Note POST state LEDs info on Page 1-27 (41).

Cool. Never knew those existed! :)

I should really learn a bit more about the PCI bus; never knew BIOS codes were passed through it.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R2.0/E8042_SABERTOOTH_990FX_R2.pdf

Note POST state LEDs info on Page 1-27 (41).

Cool. Never knew those existed! :)

I should really learn a bit more about the PCI bus; never knew BIOS codes were passed through it.

I'm going to get one just for the heck of it. :p

Iirc some Asus motherboard can utilize its onboard sound-card to audio-ing some engrish-speech to tell what wrong during the POST.
i've heard what it 'said' when:
- video card malfunction,
- ram-error,
- hdd error/not detected,
- post completed without error,
- ready to boot into OS