hosts file blocking, how do I identify the ad that I want to unblock

I have a question, I use hosts file blocking on my PC but sometimes it blocks ads and then breaks functionality. Especially with video's on news/tech sites that nowadays always have ads before the actually video starts playing. If the hosts file blocks this video ads you just see a black screen and you are not able to watch the video at all.  Now I use the app hostsman to temporarly disable the hosts file if I really want to see the video. But its a hassle anyway... I wonder if there are 'smart' ways to identify which adserver I need to delete from the hosts file so I will be able to use it with my most visited websites where it breaks the functionality.

I use windows 8.1 x64 with firefox browser. I also have the same problem on my rooted android xperiaS smartphone on which I use adaway (a hosts file adblocker for android)

Well, I will recommend you to use Firefox Developer Tools (DOM Explorer or Inspect Tool) to see Ads URLs or if its later start on Video play then Firefox Developer Tools (Network Tab).

Then see matching filter in Host file and make them "Comment" one by one, on certain filter if video plays without breaking functionality, its that particular filter you want to nuke. Make previous "Comment" URLs back to normal.

127.0.0.1 www.example.com

Then do this one by one:

# 127.0.0.1 www.example.com

Though I will not personally recommend HOST file blocking method, you should switch to Adblock Plus etc alternatives.

Why do you use Hosts based blocking, why not just Adblock ? it blocks pretty much all the Ads & you can filter the list (as white or black)